Sign in to follow this  
WombatMan

Next Expansion for Talisman

We definitly need more vampires, zombies and skeletons.I wish for a castle or vampire's tower as a center board to adds those monsters.As an alternative to the Dragon expansion.

Or simply a Warhammer Fantasy adventure boardgame based on Relic instead of a new Talisman 5th edition.

That would be so fantastic that I would probably wait outside of my LGS for its release just like back in the days of Star Wars episode 1.

However, I find that Relic does not get accepted very well by either board gamers who think "this is just games workshop in disguise, and therefore on principle, I won't play this game" or miniatures gamers who look at it and think "wait, are we fighting each others? what's with all these cards and tokens...lame".

I love it, and would love a fantasy Talisman, but I fear that Talisman is such a beast now, that changing the recipe would only lead to a massive backlash by gamers. After all, a 5th edition Talisman with tuned rules would get widespread acceptance by the community.

A "warhammer fantasy" Talisman, and no sorry we won't support 4th edition anymore, would go down like a lead weight in water all the way to the bottom. At least, that is my feeling.

I've been biting my lip, holding back on posting anything, anymore, about a new expansion set.

I'm not very thrilled that we may be going a whole year without a new set. I know some folks have had calming thoughts or statements about "how the process works", but I don't really care.

I'm 58 (almost) and I don't care to play any new games. What's more, even if I wanted to, my only playing partner, would not. So where would that leave me?  Cannot interest any of my friends in gaming (as they can't interest me in getting on facebook, lol).

Maybe that's my problem?

If anyone lives near Downriver suburbs of Detroit, is 'closer' to my age, and whats to talk about Talisman or possibly play, well, here I am!

But back to the how-long-will-it-be-before-any-news-at-all next set of Talisman, well, my guess is we're waiting this long because

WRAP-UP!   The next set will be the final set.  It will have the final board, Wilderness, whatever.  And

will feature one (at least) surprize feature - sorta small set expansion/concept/situation to go along.  So the final set will cost a little more.

Perhaps it will be a concept that will allow players to better link the boards (but there'd have to be an option for those who don't have or use all the boards).

Basically the 4th corner will have an end-game scenario, included.

I heard someone previously talk about an expansion that has the Old Wizard come back as a Lich with even more amazing powers. This would be a great idea.

Anyone have other/better ideas?  Or why the incredible time between new expansions?

Well, with the release of Relic I'm not sure there will be another expansion for Talisman.

Hopefully, we'll get a Relic expansion sooner or later.

Relic rocks!

Note that Relic and the City expansion are only what- two months apart in terms of release date.

That may be telling that they're starting a new leaf with Relic.

Edited by zealot12

So you are saying that there will be no more Talisman expansions because of Relic?  Where does your information come from.

Since I won't be playing Relic, ever, I would say ... that does not rock for me.

I'm only guessing, based on release pattern.

For instance, FFG has announced Eldtrich Horror, which is supposed to be a  cleaned up version of Arkham Horror. It would be weird then for them to be planning expansions for Arkham Horror simultaneously, since it feels like a re-theme.

Edited by zealot12

I guess I am dismayed that nearly a year has passed since the news of the City.  I believe we heard of City coming in October and it was here in early January.

So, if not soon, well, no Talisman for Xmas - - AGAIN!

I'm going to crawl into my hole again...

I guess I am dismayed that nearly a year has passed since the news of the City.  I believe we heard of City coming in October and it was here in early January.

So, if not soon, well, no Talisman for Xmas - - AGAIN!

I'm going to crawl into my hole again...

I agree with you, it has been months without any Talisman news, and this may turn out to be another Christmas with no Talisman expansion under the tree.

The next expansion must be a small box. It has always been so for Talisman and for many FFG long lasting games, I don't see any reason why they should change the release manner they kept so far.

It might be difficult to add new expansions because there's need for something really new. Something that really adds new gameplay elements. Until City it was an easier job: look back to the 2nd and 3rd ed., check existing cards and make adaptations. Of course there were novelties, new art, new expansion mechanics...but the percentual of new material was not so big. Now there's less and less material to draw ideas from.

Next expansion should be something playable and fresh like Blood Moon, but must avoid the overwhelming mechanics of Dragon and the power creep/oversights of the City. No expansion that was released for Talisman has been "bad" until now, but FFG surely needs time if they want to release a perfect product, after receiving some negative feedback for the last 2 big boxes.

As for now, I can play forever with what I have. But 1 corner is still missing and there are lots of ideas to develop. I hope we will be blessed with an announcement sooner or later.

Edited by The_Warlock

Thank you, _Warlock, for a reasoned and thoughtful comment. You sum it up well, FFG probably was scrubbed a little bit over some mechanics/play issues with the last two big expansions.  So the next board does need to out perform. Having said that I hope they have noticed that many posters here would like to see better play options or themes or expansions off of "light/dark Fate coins". Beyond that anything that switches it up, in the manner of Blood Moon would also be fantastic. And bring back more of the still un-released in 4th edition older characters. Anything that even subtly 'connects' the boards and the main board and/or Dragon realms, would be neaty neat-neat. 

This is nothing, compared to the wait for the 3rd expansion for Battlestar Galactica!  :P

"in space, no one can hear  you . . . .

... ask for extra pickles!"

This is nothing, compared to the wait for the 3rd expansion for Battlestar Galactica!  :P

Time between Talisman Timescape and Talisman Dragons = 5 years

I had hoped we might hear something about a new expansion at the beginning of October.  Guess I'll have to keep working on my patience :)

Reading the message thread, people have some good ideas for the final corner.  My friend has Talisman 3rd edition and the last time we played I deliberately took my character into the Forest -- because 4.5 doesn't have it yet -- and didn't come out!  (I fell victim to a series of horrible dice rolls.) Truth be told, the area was a bit weak/dull compared to the other corners.  If FFG do remain true to Talisman's roots, I hope they introduce something more exciting like a crypt or swamp section while still giving characters like the elf a boost.

In the meantime, I'm sure the next small box offering will add spice.  And maintain expectations for the final big box expansion!

That's the spirit, jd3! I am very weary of any news, but do hope that the next set, a small set, does indeed challenge and spice.

Oh, well, in that spirit, I  guess I'll just babble on.

We/I have discussed 'boardlets', mini boards between some of the corner sets.

What about an actual expansion set to an expansion set (so, required to have 1 to have the other, or maybe some options there).

I love the idea of the Day Nigh mechanic so much that I've been trying to think of a way to expand it.

So... The Witching Hour!

A new kind of card that is sort of like an event, but can only be played at a certain time. So think of it as a potion or spell even.  The Witching Hour or perhaps the spell or mechanism involved should be called The Midnight Hour, is a card, or token or whatever it may be, that can only be played during an actual Night time/event, hence the need to have Blood Moon on board.

I'm willing to have suggestions on the timing/mechanics, but the basic idea is to create a risk of danger, but possibly 'shorten' the Night effect.

So, The Witching Hour can only be played during night, and only *after* two full turns of every player moving through the night (or any time after, of course) by a player on their turn.

First, the Witching Hour would shorten the night. It would only be in effect for maybe 2 full turns by all players, and then the Day/Night card should be flipped back to day, regardless of any events that occur in the same turn.

Effect: Well we can all speculate on this, but at the very least how about:

All evil or neutral players may take a spell from the spell deck, *but* it must be used immediately, if possible - even if it means oneself. Resolve as normal.

Another effect of the Witching hour could be to either draw an additional card per space indicating so, or to draw card/s from any other encounter deck. That kind of thing.

I'm sure there could be more dramatic effects or enhanced effects.  "During the Witching Hour, add 1 to all encounters with Witches, Warlocks, and other magic users"

Conversely there could be another side to the coin, either included in this set, or an additional (but I think why not both?).

And that is the card   "High Noon" and this one would give advantages to Good or neutrals.  Not that this is the old west, but borrowing from it, High Noon could refer to some interesting situations.

First, the dynamic has to be the same or very similar. You can only play the card after two full rounds by all players, during a Day phase. And of course a full two rounds after, it could change to Night.

during a High Noon, Good players or neutral can challenge Evil or other neutral players to a duel or challenge. In addition to the normal reward for winning they could also received a prayer - same situation as Temple, only they get +1 to their normal roll.

Other options for High Noon could be Pilgrimage - Free trip to the Chapel or Village if Neutral.

I haven't thought through more ideas for High Noon, but there it is.

Perhaps some of this could be tied into Fate/Dark Fate with tokens being granted or needed for some of this.

I recently bought Talisman and only have the Reaper and Highlands expansion so far.

Even so it seems natural to me that the last expansion should be a forest-y kind of area. If only to give the poor Elf some viability. With the highlands expansion, it seems to me that being to evade woods-encounters is pretty meek against being able to avoid encounters in the hills. 

Perhaps a haunted forest, like someone mentioned. That gradually transcends from joyful pixie-woods to dead naked trees consumed by fog and shadow, riddled with nasty undead surprises. But I digress, I still have all the other expansions to acquire first. 

So I've been picking up the expansions littl by little and have them all now though don't get to play all that often - I'm a big RPGer so that takes much of my free time. Here is my 2 cents...

1. The next expansion. Whatever it is will be the last corner probably a forest. My question is why does it have to be the last corner? No reason FFG couldn't continue the line with additional corners. Just as the have expanded with the mini releases. Personally I'd like to see the Forest done next as a completeist.

2. 5th edition. I'm thinking this would be a Warhammer Fantasy Version direct tie in. GW marketing released the ship water combat miniature game Dreadfleet a yer or two ago so their due to revisit. Might be blood bowl but a developed Talisman could be next or in the works.

3. Timescape. Never played so not sure how it would tie into Relic. I saw on board game geek someone's house rules for switching characters in between. To me, this would have to be part of a time scape expansion character cards with stats for relic and talisman so the conversion is done. No board just the large cards.

4. Deluxe edition. Once all the corners and key expansions are out. FFG could do a big box with all the boards, cards , expansions. Just use both sides of the board like they did in LOTR. Personally I'm hoping for some nonmechanic stuff like small deck organizers that would fit in those places, card sleeves by FFG for the Character cards, etc. that could fit I the spaces between boards.

. Having said that I hope they have noticed that many posters here would like to see better play options or themes or expansions off of "light/dark Fate coins". 

I cannot believe they still haven't utilized a mechanic for them yet, except for the ultra bad 'Judgement Day' alternate ending

Some people still think they will come out with a small set expansion before the 4th/final corner board. Since they began the 4th edition, the expansions have alternated between a small and a board, around/kinda/sorta 2 every year to a year and 2 or 3 months (on average).

So it has been a long while since either a small or corner set has been previewed. I too, do hope that a suitable mechanic to enhance Fate will be featured.

Time between Talisman Timescape and Talisman Dragons = 5 years

Yes, but City was released between the two.

Time between City & Dragons = 4 years, but if I remember rightly there was an expansion mooted in 1990 that never eventuated, or morphed into Dragons.

Yesterday (21 October 2013) I wrote to FFG regarding the next expansion for Talisman.  Below is my e-mail.

I am a fan of Talisman. It has been a while since you released The City Expansion. I am wondering are you going to release any more expansions for the Revised 4th Edition of Talisman or are you working on Talisman 5th Edition? There is still one corner expansion missing.

They answered the above e-mail with their reply below.

Thanks for your question and support of Fantasy Flight Games! We have no announcements about releasing more Talisman expansions so I can't tell you either way if that's something we'll ever do. If we ever do, there would be a notice on our News page. Take care!

It looks like FFG has put Talisman on the back burner for the time being.  So don't hold your breath for the next expansion any time soon.

Regards

WombatMan

My immediate thought is Talisman must not generate good enough sales for FFG. It's always about the money, let's not be coy here.

At any rate, it is certainly, don't call us, we'll call you.

Well, I'm pretty disappointed, take care everyone! 

That doesn't necessarily mean 'no', though phrases like "if we ever" could certainly be interpreted that way. 

That said, I see that reprints of the Core set, Reaper, and Blood Moon are currently in production, so I wouldn't say that FFG have thrown in the towel on Talisman just yet.  ;)