Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WombatMan

Next Expansion for Talisman

187 posts in this topic

The next exspansion would be cool if it was similar to the Timescape exspasion of the old version.

We are the minority, but I say yeah yeah yeah!

One of the ways to do this would be the use of the 'boardlets' idea, that is creating a mini-board that fits between Dungeon/City on the one side, and Highlands/*Whatever* on the other.

The difference being that these two areas would not be considered separate or new regions, but an extension of the main Talisman board.  Most likely extensions of the Outer region, since the spaces would be adjacent.

While I find the idea interesting, having something between the corner expansions would take up even more space on this already large game.  I have a HUGE table that I designed with Talisman in mind.  It has enough room for all four corner expansions, and has room on all sides to allow up to six players to have room for their stuff.  I still use the space between the expansions for the expansion decks, because it's less cluttered and the decks are easier for people to reach.

I'm luckier than some players, in *some* regards, because we're only 2 players, the table is only wide enough for the overall width of the game with all expansions, but long enough for each of us to stagger and array our own areas as well as the various draw decks and other items for play. So this is not an issue for us, but I can see how it would be for you.

Even if they made the last corner I would still want more areas to explore. The Highlands becomes a volcano, the city a necropolis , and dungeon a another dimension. Let the players choose which to use and which to leave out. 

The overall issue for me is similar. I still want other areas to explore. But I don't want more cards added to the main deck - or very few! So I like my idea of adjunct/adjacent areas to the main board, therefore drawing from the main deck, rather than a region's deck.

Even if they made the last corner I would still want more areas to explore. The Highlands becomes a volcano, the city a necropolis , and dungeon a another dimension. Let the players choose which to use and which to leave out. 

Many completests would hate you, but you are right!

Hey! I resemble that remark!  I am fortunate enough to be able to afford the expansions that have come along. I may be one of those few who like the Dragon realm inlay-board (we use it about 3 to 4 times out of 5), but I don't really want to have inlays for each existing board area or Region board. But I would get them and probably rarely use them.

Rather I would like the unused or outre concepts like what is dark/light fate for, really, answered.  I would like to see concepts like Gods and Goddesses and the variations thereof. Can some be other-dimensional beings that are really very non-humanoid? (would this solve the thirst for Timescape - replace it with demonic and other dimensional realms). I don't want to see this as another trio/couple/foursome like The Dragon Lords. 

Combine Fate with Other Beings? Have a Lord of Chaos and a Lady of Order (someone has done this in the home brews on Island, I guess). And have Fate tied in with Chaos and Order, via the dark/light sided tokens

I'm luckier than some players, in *some* regards, because we're only 2 players, the table is only wide enough for the overall width of the game with all expansions, but long enough for each of us to stagger and array our own areas as well as the various draw decks and other items for play. So this is not an issue for us, but I can see how it would be for you.

One of my single gaming friends purposely bought a huge kitchen table just for this reason. He owns all expansions for Talisman.

Rather I would like the unused or outre concepts like what is dark/light fate for, really, answered.  I would like to see concepts like Gods and Goddesses and the variations thereof. Can some be other-dimensional beings that are really very non-humanoid? (would this solve the thirst for Timescape - replace it with demonic and other dimensional realms). I don't want to see this as another trio/couple/foursome like The Dragon Lords. 

Combine Fate with Other Beings? Have a Lord of Chaos and a Lady of Order (someone has done this in the home brews on Island, I guess). And have Fate tied in with Chaos and Order, via the dark/light sided tokens

I don't think they will go for deities. It would be offensive or distasteful for many players. I think they are attuned to this. For example, tho I may be wrong, they did not use the harpy Adventure card. This 2nd edition card was offensive or distasteful to some people. At least I don't remember seeing it, because I was purposely looking for it myself.

One of my single gaming friends purposely bought a huge kitchen table just for this reason. He owns all expansions for Talisman.

That sounds like a dream for me. I've actually thought about 1 half of a ping pong table, since that would .... cover it all

I don't think they will go for deities. It would be offensive or distasteful for many players. I think they are attuned to this. For example, tho I may be wrong, they did not use the harpy Adventure card. This 2nd edition card was offensive or distasteful to some people. At least I don't remember seeing it, because I was purposely looking for it myself.

I'm not sure I understand that sentiment. Obviously "Gods" implies - most likely - pre-Christian Gods/Goddesses of Ancient Greece, Rome, Norse-lands,e tc.   These would be the traditional type of deities for a medieval fantasy based game.

Are you saying that mostly Christian players would be offended? Care to elaborate?  

I'm a modern day Pagan, Wiccan to be exact, so it certainly wouldn't be a problem for me. I sorta expect that from D/D type fantasy games.

For example, tho I may be wrong, they did not use the harpy Adventure card. This 2nd edition card was offensive or distasteful to some people. At least I don't remember seeing it, because I was purposely looking for it myself.

The Harpy is in the Highlands expansion.

I'm not sure I understand that sentiment. Obviously "Gods" implies - most likely - pre-Christian Gods/Goddesses of Ancient Greece, Rome, Norse-lands,e tc.   These would be the traditional type of deities for a medieval fantasy based game.

Are you saying that mostly Christian players would be offended? Care to elaborate?  

I'm a modern day Pagan, Wiccan to be exact, so it certainly wouldn't be a problem for me. I sorta expect that from D/D type fantasy games.

I can't speak for everyone, but adding deities would limit the customer base. And yes, for Christians, I wouldn't be able to speak for others, but some who don't believe in anything may also have strong feelings about it. Not all, but many. And while some would not be offended, more would dislike the taste of it.

I prefer not to discuss this at length, but I do think its a factor.

For example, tho I may be wrong, they did not use the harpy Adventure card. This 2nd edition card was offensive or distasteful to some people. At least I don't remember seeing it, because I was purposely looking for it myself.

The Harpy is in the Highlands expansion.

Makes sense, I don't own that, and hardly played in the Highlands. I wonder did they make the graphic different or is it similar in nature?

I can't speak for everyone, but adding deities would limit the customer base. And yes, for Christians, I wouldn't be able to speak for others, but some who don't believe in anything may also have strong feelings about it. Not all, but many. And while some would not be offended, more would dislike the taste of it.

I prefer not to discuss this at length, but I do think its a factor.

Atheists (even militant ones) tend not to be insulted by polytheist pantheons, in my experience.

Personally I think the next expansion should be a small expansion that will help fix the Dragon Expansion by adding some characters and a mechanic that will change it to make it more playable.  A lot of the house rules are great but this expansion as-is really bogs the game down and does not add an element that is "fun".  

I love the Tower from 3rd edition.  It gave the "feel" and look to the board to make it Dragon-Worthy.  Nothing Screams Kill-The-Dragon than a large Dragon model looming atop a tower.   

Personally I think the next expansion should be a small expansion that will help fix the Dragon Expansion by adding some characters and a mechanic that will change it to make it more playable.  A lot of the house rules are great but this expansion as-is really bogs the game down and does not add an element that is "fun".  

I love the Tower from 3rd edition.  It gave the "feel" and look to the board to make it Dragon-Worthy.  Nothing Screams Kill-The-Dragon than a large Dragon model looming atop a tower.   

Can you expand with any ideas you think would make it more playable and fun? 

Everyone has different ideas, in their own games, how to 'house-rule', but from my take, they may be rather different for players based on various things; amount of players, mostly. And/or the calculation of pulling scales, adding, etc.

It's not easy for me to think of how FFG would change this.

But I agree the next set should be some sort of small set expansion.

Throwing this out there, but does anyone have an idea about how 'another themed expansion' might help? What if some aspect of fate tokens (the only aspect that FFG has not truly developed other than "another chance") could tame the Dragon?   Again I can't see anything, maybe the obvious - or not.

Like (real crazy...) if all players agree to pay 1 fate token, it would stop a new Dragon from being crowned; ie; the scale is discarded.

Or the opposite, if everyone/threshold number of players, pays 1 fate, they can crown a different king, instead of the one that should have been.         But I'm not sure what the advantage would be to that.

All though my only playing partner will play with dragons, she will do everything possible to never encounter from any Dragon deck. Even though there are some pretty sweet objects that help with fighting those Dragons.

So another idea behind a new use of Fate could be a payment of Fate to allow you to draw X number of cards from a Dragon's Deck and keep any object of your choice.

Until such ideas or sets happen, we may have to continue with house rules or to not use at all. 

From my perspective I want to play with all sets possible, but even I need a way to mitigate some of the Dragon set's mechanics and denouements. 

I´ld want a forest realm for the next corner expansion, and a sea adventures in a second board. Not as huge as the main board.
Beyond the sea, with pirate ships and so, an island.

It doesn't matter to me what theme it would be as long as the mechanics are there.  Forest sounds great :)

Hopefully they are still are working on Talisman - it has been a long time since the last expansion.  I hope they finish the game off with adding that final corner!

The very last set came out in January of this year.  Prior to that, new releases alternated between small, then corner sets, with the timing between most of them being kinda/sort/about 6 or 7 months between each release.

Therefore, from a faithful fan's point of view, we should have gotten this small set perhaps by the time of Gen-Con, or at least have known about it.

And we would be verging on the presumed final 4th corner board.

Maybe being a faithful fan has its' limits?

I would hate to have to move on to some other active and growing new board game- - from another company too, no doubt.

FFG, please listen to us!

DomaGB likes this

They are reprinting yet the core game. It´s good for this edition. And really yes, for the people collecting all of the game, Talisman 4th Edition seems unfinished with the lack of the last corner board! :)

Honestly I do not know....I have ideas, but nothing definitive.  After about 10 games with the dragon expansion in full effect, our group got sick of it.  

Using The alternate ending "domain of dragons" really seems to help since you are not drawing scales.  We are in the habit of using this as the main way to play the game and also use another alternate ending.  This allows the dragon scales to get cycled through and give the feel of the Dragon expansion.  The only difference we have done in our last game is while in the middle region you must draw from the dragon deck of your choosing....but you can not draw more than one card from each deck per turn.  The one problem I am seeing with this is that the Varthrax cards seem to see more gameplay than any others, with Cadorus being the least seen cards on top of the deck.  

We have had a lot of terrible luck with the Reaper....he is ripping through us like a madman.  The game we played tonight with 6 players he killed a Priest and a Minotaur within 3 turns of each other; both of which were well powered up.

Honestly I do not know....I have ideas, but nothing definitive.  After about 10 games with the dragon expansion in full effect, our group got sick of it.  

Using The alternate ending "domain of dragons" really seems to help since you are not drawing scales.  We are in the habit of using this as the main way to play the game and also use another alternate ending.  This allows the dragon scales to get cycled through and give the feel of the Dragon expansion.  The only difference we have done in our last game is while in the middle region you must draw from the dragon deck of your choosing....but you can not draw more than one card from each deck per turn.  The one problem I am seeing with this is that the Varthrax cards seem to see more gameplay than any others, with Cadorus being the least seen cards on top of the deck.  

We have had a lot of terrible luck with the Reaper....he is ripping through us like a madman.  The game we played tonight with 6 players he killed a Priest and a Minotaur within 3 turns of each other; both of which were well powered up.

I hate the Reaper & Werewolf figures and wasn't a big fan of Dragons either.  They just drag the game out and don;t really add much value.  We don;t like the fact the Reaper can just kill you if you roll a 1.. You were lucky you made it to 10 consecutive games with Dragons - you lasted longer then we did!  We still play with Lycanthropy, but just not the figure.

Edited by rfisha

The one idea I have thought about is a 10-sided die to be thrown with the six sided die.  On the 10 sided die would be:

1.  A Symbol with Grilipus to invoke any cards to be drawn from his deck.

2.  A symbol with Varthrax to invoke any cards drawn to be from his deck.

3.  A Symbol with Cadorus to invoke any cards to be drawn from his deck.

4.  A symbol to activate the Werewolf

5.  A symbol to activate the Reaper

6.  One side with a day/night symbol to change whether it is day or night.

7-8.  Two sides with a Dragon Symbol signifying the drawing of a dragon token. One change would be that no tokens are placed on the board since cards will be drawn anyway(This would alleviate some of the congestion of the playing area.

9-10.  Two sides blank; No effect  (Or other mechanics that may be added)

I hate the Reaper & Werewolf figures and wasn't a big fan of Dragons either.  They just drag the game out and don;t really add much value.  We don;t like the fact the Reaper can just kill you if you roll a 1.. You were lucky you made it to 10 consecutive games with Dragons - you lasted longer then we did!  We still play with Lycanthropy, but just not the figure.

Opposite for me I like the Reaper and not the Werewolf. Thought I would, I love werewolf movies and such, just didn't like the game play.

rfisha likes this

Opposite for me I like the Reaper and not the Werewolf. Thought I would, I love werewolf movies and such, just didn't like the game play.

I like the expansions... just not the moving of the figures around the board!  I am usually not a fan of the horror theme in games, but I actually liked Blood Moon.  The day/night effects worked well for us.  We play with Lycanthropy still in effect (no werewolf though) just because we are pretty much too lazy to remove the cards with the references on them, and it is playable as far as a mechanic goes.

The one idea I have thought about is a 10-sided die to be thrown with the six sided die.  On the 10 sided die would be:

1.  A Symbol with Grilipus to invoke any cards to be drawn from his deck.

2.  A symbol with Varthrax to invoke any cards drawn to be from his deck.

3.  A Symbol with Cadorus to invoke any cards to be drawn from his deck.

4.  A symbol to activate the Werewolf

5.  A symbol to activate the Reaper

6.  One side with a day/night symbol to change whether it is day or night.

7-8.  Two sides with a Dragon Symbol signifying the drawing of a dragon token. One change would be that no tokens are placed on the board since cards will be drawn anyway(This would alleviate some of the congestion of the playing area.

9-10.  Two sides blank; No effect  (Or other mechanics that may be added)

What? Ten siders? That's pure HERESY!  :P

I think it would be neat to have an expansion based on a CASTLE theme. It doesn't have to be a "corner" expansion. Maybe it could just be another board. And maybe you could enter it from the CASTLE space in the middle region.

Some possible characters might be:

KING (OR LORD)

QUEEN (OR LADY)

JESTER

COOK

MAN-AT-ARMS

ARCHER

SQUIRE

DUKE

DUCHESS

PRINCE

PRINCESS

SOLDIER

DRAGOON (a type of soldier)

STABLE-BOY (or girl)

GATEKEEPER

BISHOP

And some possible spaces might be:

THE FOREST (passageway to core board or new expansion)

THE MOAT

THE DRAWBRIDGE

THE GREAT HALL

THE LORDS & LADIES CHAMBER

THE SOLAR

THE WARDROBE

THE BOWER

THE MINSTREL'S GALLERY

THE THRONE ROOM

THE GARDEROBE - PRIVY CHAMBER (the Toilet or lavatory)

THE BATHROOM

THE KITCHEN

THE BUTTERY

THE BOTTLERY

THE PANTRY

THE STOREROOM

THE CHAPEL (passageway to CHAPEL space on core board)

THE ORATORY

THE DUNGEON (passageway to the Dungeon expansion)

THE OUBLIETTE

THE CASEMATE

THE PLACE OF ARMS

THE UNDERCROFT

THE MEZZANINE

THE GATEHOUSE

THE BAILEY OR WARD

ACCOMMODATIONS

You know, something like that. Any thoughts?