Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WombatMan

Next Expansion for Talisman

187 posts in this topic

Well, then how about The Woodlands, as that would be forest and woods.

I'll be very happy if it is Woodlands or a board favoring forests and woods.  I'd like more magical themes and encounters. If there is a board "boss", I'd like something different like a female magic user, a Wicked Witch of all type.

If a small expansion set is coming before the final board, wouldn't it be nice if it started having more connections or continuity with all the previous expansions?

Has anyone thought about a steampunk expansion as the next small expansion?

It might include a "time traveller" or "planeswalker" or some kind of "battle droid" as a follower and would fit better to the game than a timescape....

The next large one will be the woulds I guess since FFG sticks to the original expansions. 

Allthough i would vote for a sea or island and/or underwater (!) board!!!

greetings,

skolman

Steampunk objects , characters or concepts might work in smaller doses.  I'm not expert but steampuck being "almost" modern era still grinds a little against Medieval type fantasy. 

I do think that a small expansion is a way to explore that, of course.

I am wondering if FFG would save the Timescape for the very very VERY last set, and once again a board that doesn't go on a corner, but either on the side (more square space needed on surface!) or yet another replacement board for the inner realm.

In fact, maybe the only way that the Timescape or it's highlights/dynamics could return to Talisman would be as an alt Inner realm. 

The inner realm's movement norms would work for a new scope TS, perhaps.

At that point it truly represents an alternate end scenario, though. It may not be for everyone...

I am wondering if FFG would save the Timescape for the very very VERY last set

The next expansion MUST be the Timescape, or I will quit playing Talisman. I don't care about the Relic, Talisman must have its own Timescape!

The idea of it as a centre board is good. But I don't want it to be a late game board. In the 2nd Edition it worked as a starting board - either character received helpful cards, or died.

Edited by Nemomon

It must not be Timescape but I wonder if the 4th corner expansion will have a board with new mechanics, maybe something like Island/Sea. I think that 4th corner similar to Dungeon or Highland will be boring...

It won't be Timescape, I can pretty much guarantee it, because of Relic, whether you care about that game or not, so I guess you need to quit playing Talisman.

(Really, that's a pretty silly reason to quit playing the game.)

A very rare favorite, with mostly 2nd Edition players, it will most certainly not be "re-released" for the 4th. I think it is correct that 'Relic' possibly gives the Timescape feel and experience, and possibly could be home-brewed or rigged to be part of the regular Talisman.

So back to the next Expansion. I guess we will see what happens at the Indy con in a few weeks. 2, from this weekend, actually.

I hope there will be no more extra rules! I have enoughof them allready! I hope for more characters and cards that would just be fine for me since with all the extras the game can become quite complicated... (just see the dragon expansion)

I feel like small board expansions could be an option.

For instance, the Village could be a 12 space board with a town square, a market, a crossroads, the blacksmith, the mystic, a mill, etc. It doesn't need to directly connect to the board. It could sit to one side and be used that way. Same with the forest. Same with a haunted mansion. Each set could also include some extra cards that broaden the general game, but follow ideas related to the expansion (so more kinds of bandit cards, more animal cards, more spells related to the mystic, etc). The Inn could easily be one of these. As could the Temple, etc.

What's lovely about this is that it doesn't have to be tied to the outside circle of the board.

I was thinking /hoping  for a necropolis off the graveyard :)

I really enjoyed the gothic horror blood moon expansion. A graveyard necropolis would be fantastic.

I agree with the sea-expansion. That would make the world of Talisman complete. I guess it doesn't have to be the NEXT expansion though =).

If the next corner expansion is the forest I hope the boss at the end will have the Str 10 and Craft 10 attributes simply to balance with the other two bosses. (8 for highland and 12 for dungeon) If that 's the case I got an idea for a new game mechanic.The only way to get a talisman is by beating all 3 bosses.As if the talisman was broken in 3 fragments.Of course you'll have to remove talisman cards from the adventure deck.Don't know if it's gonna work but I'll sure give it a try.

Go on YouTube and type talisman there's a 4th edition vid. With interesting fan made boards you can get. Callasmar (actually type this).

Crag78 exactly said the most reasonable matter.

i wonder what happened. Problems with the chinese not working for a Cup of Rice anymore ? John notgoodenough getting lazy ? usually the next Card set should have been released at june or july. if they come with it in novembre, they are ussr like. 4th Corner end 2014 ? maybe the chinese should buy ffg and do it better, cant get worse.

Whilst it can be frustrating waiting for news of what is coming next for Talisman, there is no need to resort to being rude.

Agree! I still find it fun to speculate on what is coming, so let's hang on. I love this game so I can never feel too angry about lack of news.

I think a haunted forest would be excellent.  To make it different from the other corner expansions, allow entrance through both the Graveyard and the Forest, with  the "entrance" to the next of three levels coming where the two entry paths meet (Crossroads?), then working outwards on the second path from that point, and meeting again at one point in the third outer path.  What would one find there?  Unsure, but not something that is a definite boon, or else it'd be too easy to just mine it endlessly.  Something like the Temple would be cool.

I don't think the two-sided Fate tokens have come into play at all other than for the Judgment Day ending.  Might be cool to have the space as a collection point for spent Fate tokens, where the dark side would represent evil things spreading from the forest through the realm, and the light side as heroes turning back the tide of evil.  Might be cool to have benefits to Good guys if there were more "light" Fate on the final space, and just the opposite for the Evil characters.  The Neutral ones would benefit from having it balanced out.  Players choose the side as they expend Fate.

Unsure 1) if this would work out in a game when characters were all of the same alignment and 2) if the Fate-spenders-- Evil ones who have the Graveyard to refill, Cleric, and Doomsayer come to mind--would have such a tremendous advantage as to make the this impossible.  Maybe a limit to how many total Fate can be on the space?

Not a game designer, here, just musing!

As with everyone here, excited to see what's next for Talisman.

Next Small Expansion: The Orient. I really miss the Ninja, Saracen, the Martial Artist and the Samurai. I liked that Eastern flavor a lot. Might as well offend as many groups of people as possible. Maybe some ocean and a Pirate and be mixed in somewhere.

Next Big Expansion: The Forest: with one lighter fae-filled half and a darker cursed half. Bring back the Centaur, Woodsman, Barbarian, etc and make it work well with the Bloodmoon expansion. I still love that one.  Have a place for pools, maybe the outskirts of the Village and a witch's house.

Timescape for me is optional. I'd buy it and and love the anacronism, but the mechanic better be sound the the playability high.  Plus, the one good thing about Timescape is its somewhere for you to fall to when you go down the Horrible Black Void. Timescape bridging to Relic shouldn't be required.

So far 4th Edition follows the 3rd Edition formula. A forest or near-forest themed expansion is expected and regardless of quality it will be accepted even by those who wish to see something else. Breaking this expectation is a "jump the shark" gamble that can be highly controversial. Thats a gamble I wouldn't take as a business.

So far 4th Edition follows the 3rd Edition formula. A forest or near-forest themed expansion is expected and regardless of quality it will be accepted even by those who wish to see something else. Breaking this expectation is a "jump the shark" gamble that can be highly controversial. Thats a gamble I wouldn't take as a business.

That's pretty much what I'm expecting as well for the same reasons. After that, there my be one or two mini expansions, and then I think it likely that will be it for expansions.

That's pretty much what I'm expecting as well for the same reasons. After that, there my be one or two mini expansions, and then I think it likely that will be it for expansions.

I agree. I think they are already looking into Talisman 5th edition and how it might work with the release of Relic. FFG likes to put their own spin on things and remember they did not start the 4th edition off, Black industries did.

A forest that is haunted/evil (like the living forest in mortal kombat) that contains a graveyard deeper into it which has a building at the end of it with the boss.

Dark elves, vampires, werewolves, zombies, dark fairies, death knights etc could all be involved.