Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
heychadwick

Pilot Idea: Porkins

26 posts in this topic

Jek Tono Porkins
(info taken from Wookiepedia)

"The lieutenant and I once knew a very fine Human pilot who went by 'Piggy.' There's no 'derogatory component' to it in this squadron. Rather, it's a badge of honor I hope you can live up to."
―Wedge Antilles, to Voort saBinring

Jek Tono Porkins was a trader and pilot from Bestine IV who, along with the other Bestines, was forced to abandon his homeworld when the Galactic Empire chose it as the site of a new military base. Seeking the opportunity to strike back at the Empire, Porkins joined the Alliance to Restore the Republic and was assigned to Tierfon Rebel Base for pilot training with the Tierfon Yellow Aces. His skill at low-altitude strafing runs and his rotund physique earned him the nicknames "Belly Runner" and "Piggy." After the completion of the Empire's Death Star, the Yellow Aces were taken to fully active status and transferred to fill gaps in pilot rosters at other Rebel bases. When Porkins's good friend Wes Janson was taken ill with a case of Hesken Fever, Porkins was given his friend's assignment instead and transferred to Red Squadron, operating out of the Great Temple on Yavin 4.

Porkins soon took part in his first missions with Red Squadron, working with Biggs Darklighter, Wedge Antilles, and Cesi Eirriss to help retrieve a number of astromech droids from the smuggler Nera Dantels on Commenor. The group returned to Yavin 4 just before the arrival of the Death Star in the Yavin system, on a mission to destroy the Rebel base. Porkins flew as Red Six during the Battle of Yavin, his skills at strafing aiding the Rebels early in the battle. However, when his T-65 X-wing starfighter was struck by debris, leaving him with several mechanical and computer malfunctions, Porkins was hit by enemy turbolaser fire and killed.

STATS: Same as a regular Xwing, but with one less dodge
SPECIAL ABILITY: Expansion comes with a coupon for one free bucket of KFC Original or Extra Crispy chicken.

tumblr_lp4w6unkIT1qbq7bfo1_400.jpg

Jek Tono Porkins

(info taken from Wookiepedia)

"The lieutenant and I once knew a very fine Human pilot who went by 'Piggy.' There's no 'derogatory component' to it in this squadron. Rather, it's a badge of honor I hope you can live up to."

Wedge Antilles, to Voort saBinring

Jek Tono Porkins was a trader and pilot from Bestine IV who, along with the other Bestines, was forced to abandon his homeworld when the Galactic Empire chose it as the site of a new military base. Seeking the opportunity to strike back at the Empire, Porkins joined the Alliance to Restore the Republic and was assigned to Tierfon Rebel Base for pilot training with the Tierfon Yellow Aces. His skill at low-altitude strafing runs and his rotund physique earned him the nicknames "Belly Runner" and "Piggy." After the completion of the Empire's Death Star, the Yellow Aces were taken to fully active status and transferred to fill gaps in pilot rosters at other Rebel bases. When Porkins's good friend Wes Janson was taken ill with a case of Hesken Fever, Porkins was given his friend's assignment instead and transferred to Red Squadron, operating out of the Great Temple on Yavin 4.

Porkins soon took part in his first missions with Red Squadron, working with Biggs Darklighter, Wedge Antilles, and Cesi Eirriss to help retrieve a number of astromech droids from the smuggler Nera Dantels on Commenor. The group returned to Yavin 4 just before the arrival of the Death Star in the Yavin system, on a mission to destroy the Rebel base. Porkins flew as Red Six during the Battle of Yavin, his skills at strafing aiding the Rebels early in the battle. However, when his T-65 X-wing starfighter was struck by debris, leaving him with several mechanical and computer malfunctions, Porkins was hit by enemy turbolaser fire and killed.

STATS: Same as a regular Xwing, but with one less dodge
SPECIAL ABILITY: Expansion comes with a coupon for one free bucket of KFC Original or Extra Crispy chicken.

tumblr_lp4w6unkIT1qbq7bfo1_400.jpg

All seriousness, other named pilots would be great for a card only expansion set.  Besides new named pilots for already existing ships, there could be new upgrade cards.  Would be nice if the set included some of the harder to get upgrade cards.

How about, for a serious idea:

Jek Porkins, 24 points
Skill: 5
Atk: 3
Agi: 2
Hull: 3
Shield: 2

Pilot Ability: Torpedo weapons may be used at range 1-3 rather than the range printed on their card.

This gives him the "strafing run" flavor from his bio, and represents his skill level as similar to Biggs. His power is a little less impressive than Biggs, so I just took Darklighter's cost and dropped a point.

Eruletho said:

Pilot Ability: Torpedo weapons may be used at range 1-3 rather than the range printed on their card.

How about:

Pilot Ability: After executing a (straight maneuver), Jek Porkins gains 1 (evade) counter.

magi said:

Eruletho said:

How about:

Pilot Ability: After executing a (straight maneuver), Jek Porkins gains 1 (evade) counter.

Wow that is an amazing ability. Probably  of the best in the game if they went with it.

Like I said in another post I would love to see a very thematic ability. Considering Jek went down because of his X-wing I thought his ability could read as:

When Jek suffers a Crit you draw 3 cards abd your opponent gets to decide which one to apply.

He would fly a normal X-wing 3 2 3 2. protons and droid

Points wise I noticed all the red quadron were 20 points plus their pilot skill so if we make Jek as good as Biggs he would be 25 points. Considering though his ability is a negative rather than a bonus I would take off a point so make him 24 points.

Sodapopj said:

magi said:

Eruletho said:

How about:

Wow that is an amazing ability. Probably  of the best in the game if they went with it.

Like I said in another post I would love to see a very thematic ability. Considering Jek went down because of his X-wing I thought his ability could read as:

When Jek suffers a Crit you draw 3 cards abd your opponent gets to decide which one to apply.

He would fly a normal X-wing 3 2 3 2. protons and droid

Points wise I noticed all the red quadron were 20 points plus their pilot skill so if we make Jek as good as Biggs he would be 25 points. Considering though his ability is a negative rather than a bonus I would take off a point so make him 24 points.

How about just the opposite. When he takes a crit you draw 3 and you get to pick which one he takes. Not too powerful but could save him from dying or having a really bad crit card.

Since…

Red Six: I got a problem here. My converter's running wild. 
Biggs: Eject! 
Red Six: I can hold it. Gimme more room to run. 
Biggs: You're too low. Pull up! 
Red Six: No, I'm all right… 
[death scream

is his swan song, how about some kind of deal where he can mitigate a crit into a face-down, but only if he pulls a straight 4 immediately after in the round that he took the damage? Still cost him 24, PR5.  

Cid_MCDP said:

Since…

Red Six: I got a problem here. My converter's running wild. 
Biggs: Eject! 
Red Six: I can hold it. Gimme more room to run. 
Biggs: You're too low. Pull up! 
Red Six: No, I'm all right… 
[death scream

is his swan song, how about some kind of deal where he can mitigate a crit into a face-down, but only if he pulls a straight 4 immediately after in the round that he took the damage? Still cost him 24, PR5.  

I was thinking along those lines, given how he seems to ignore his ship falling apart all around him.

magi said:

Maybe just make his pilot ability turn all ship crits into hits?

I was thinking along those lines, but it seems a tad overpowered.  Maybe have him spend an action to do so?

DailyRich said:

magi said:

Maybe just make his pilot ability turn all ship crits into hits?

I was thinking along those lines, but it seems a tad overpowered.  Maybe have him spend an action to do so?

What is the ratio of pilot crits to ship crits? There are droids or abilities that can allow you to ignore these. Perhaps if the added expense was included in his point cost? Make him 26 pts or so?

Alternatively, you could roll a die each round and on a (focus) result you could flip one ship crit to a hit.

This is off the top of my head, but I think it's about a 1:4 ratio from pilot to ship. Like there's 8 pilot crits and 33 cards total? Something like that I think. 

Now thats just excellent. I need to print this card.

Would you be so kind and provide me the url of your card generator please? I like to translate it for local use.

I'm truly surprised that Porkins hasn't been made into an official pilot yet.

Especially with some of the imaginary ones that have been put out there, instead.

Morrissey said:

I'm truly surprised that Porkins hasn't been made into an official pilot yet.

Especially with some of the imaginary ones that have been put out there, instead.

New ships are nice and all, but I would be much happier with booster pack pilots for wave three. Can you imagine being able to field "rogue squadron"? Or maybe some other famous pilots? I am sure Mara Jade would be a pilot if they ever came out with a Z-95 but I am just hoping. 

I would very happy if they came out with single pilot boosters. Rebel faction guys, imperial faction guys. Each pilot is random, but each box has X number named pilots, X number regular pilots, and speciality upgrade packs. It would at least be a new revenue stream just because of the random factor. 

PR5 3/2/3/2 

Droid/Torp/EPS

I am very surprised that they didn't 

I'm with you on the concept of pilot packs.

But I'm not with you on the idea of doing it randomly.

One of the great appeals of this game (and games like Wings of War/Wings of Glory), is that you can just go and buy what you want; you don't have to buy heaps more than you actually need in order to get specific results.

Found the card online, just typed jek porkins pilot card into google, takes you to a card generator site, this was on there.

Half the fun of getting a bunch of pilots you may or may nor use is opening the packs. Once you get the models, there really isn't any reason to buy the game anymore unless there is a new ship to buy. Having a random chance of pilot would allow additional revenue just for the chance of getting the totally awesome pilot or a bunch of filler pilots like dark curse or howlrunner. I like the booster idea for a specific ship type because a crappy oulot could be coupled with a really awesome upgrade card. 

I'll second the idea of more pilot cards vice more ships.  I think Porkins is a great idea (and laughed out loud at both of the sample cards).  Here's another, from Wraith Squadron:

Voort saBinring, aka "Piggy" (X-wing)

Standard stats

Pilot skill:  at the beginning of the movement phase, before any other pilot moves, Piggy gets to choose one enemy ship within Range 1 of his X-wing and see that ship's movement dial, then adjust his movement accordingly (if he so desires).

In the books, Piggy was supposed to be extraordinarly mathematically gifted, and could take other ships' movements into account even in large dogfights.  I think this skill would reflect that ability.