Sign in to follow this  
mouthymerc

What will Age of Rebellion be like?

As to mass combat, I've given some though and I'd like it to be represented by a roll of the dice,  Enemy forces represented by difficulty dice, Allied forces by Ability dice and so on.  PC's accomplishing specific goals for a mission could upgrade the Ability dice, while failing something could be Challeng dice, etc.  Just a thought. 

Think of the Battle of Endor, the party trying to take out the shield generator, while the battle rages in space.  The rebel fleet had maybe 3 dice, the imperial 5.  The shield generator and Deathstar being active upgrades 2 dice, etc.   While I haven't fleshed out the idea fully, it could be a good way to have a large battle represented 'numerically' without the minutia of every detail and attack.

This element I think has some really intriguing possibilities; the narrative type of dice for Edge of the Empire could really shine here. I could see a number of different rolls, with the results affecting the numbers on both sides. The Rebels are losing in the first couple of rolls, until an A-Wing pilot takes out the Executor and the deflector shield is knocked out. At that point the rolls become easier for the Rebel side and the tide is turned.

-Nate

Perhaps I need to dig for this answer if it's already posted, but does anyone have an idea as to when AoR is going to be released?

Only that's going to be sometime in 2014.

Not even the bigwigs at FFG can narrow it down beyond that, since the product is likely still in the development stages.  Odds are that FFG will try for 2nd or 3rd Quarter release, likely early May if for no reason than to get as close to "May the Fourth" as possible, but that's not set in stone.

In fact, most gaming companies are taking pains to avoid hard release dates until a few weeks out, so we probably won't get a hard date until a month or so before FFG is able to reliable confirm when they'll have the books in their warehouse and ready to ship to distributors.

Perhaps I need to dig for this answer if it's already posted, but does anyone have an idea as to when AoR is going to be released?

Only that's going to be sometime in 2014.

Not even the bigwigs at FFG can narrow it down beyond that, since the product is likely still in the development stages.  Odds are that FFG will try for 2nd or 3rd Quarter release, likely early May if for no reason than to get as close to "May the Fourth" as possible, but that's not set in stone.

In fact, most gaming companies are taking pains to avoid hard release dates until a few weeks out, so we probably won't get a hard date until a month or so before FFG is able to reliable confirm when they'll have the books in their warehouse and ready to ship to distributors.

Thank you!

I think the Species we are likely to see in AoR include: Humans, Droids, Wookies, Bothans, Mon Calamari, Sulustians, Duros. Those 7 are pretty much a lock. For the 8th I think they will go more exotic. Herglics Perhaps.

As to mass combat, I've given some though and I'd like it to be represented by a roll of the dice,  Enemy forces represented by difficulty dice, Allied forces by Ability dice and so on.  PC's accomplishing specific goals for a mission could upgrade the Ability dice, while failing something could be Challeng dice, etc.  Just a thought. 

Think of the Battle of Endor, the party trying to take out the shield generator, while the battle rages in space.  The rebel fleet had maybe 3 dice, the imperial 5.  The shield generator and Deathstar being active upgrades 2 dice, etc.   While I haven't fleshed out the idea fully, it could be a good way to have a large battle represented 'numerically' without the minutia of every detail and attack.

This element I think has some really intriguing possibilities; the narrative type of dice for Edge of the Empire could really shine here. I could see a number of different rolls, with the results affecting the numbers on both sides. The Rebels are losing in the first couple of rolls, until an A-Wing pilot takes out the Executor and the deflector shield is knocked out. At that point the rolls become easier for the Rebel side and the tide is turned.

-Nate

http://fanggrip.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/quick-dirty-cinematic-warfare/

That system is exactly what I was talking about. I'll probably make some changes though. But great job.

Thank you very much.  

I fully expect every GM to tailor the system to their own tastes, that is what we do after all.  

I expect Mon Cal, Sullustans, Humans, Droids. Heck, I expect Humans and Droids in EVERY core book for the line; they're just too iconic and universal.

I would expect some imperial classes, tho' perhaps in a player's guide, rather than in the core. (Much as 40K orks were presented in the DH Player's Guide.)

I think the Pilot class is likely to be the same class as in Edge, but with different specialties (Fighter Jock, Ship Driver). Soldier likely isn't Merc nor BH (Infantry, Armor, Recon). I'd expect a technical crew class (Engineers, Computers, Gunnery?), Support Services (Medical, Analyst, Public Affairs). I'd not be surprised to see a commando class (equivalent to bounty hunter).

Humans yes, they will be in every book.  Droids will be in the 2nd book, but why put them in the third book.  The third book focuses on the force, jedi, and sith.  Sure, it will still contain the basics of gameplay like the others, but there is no reason to include a race that can't use the force in a book that focuses on the force.

I fully expect the third book to simply focus on the races that we've seen as major force users in the movies.  So basically look at the various members of the jedi counsel and fan favorite jedi masters.

I expect Mon Cal, Sullustans, Humans, Droids. Heck, I expect Humans and Droids in EVERY core book for the line; they're just too iconic and universal.

I would expect some imperial classes, tho' perhaps in a player's guide, rather than in the core. (Much as 40K orks were presented in the DH Player's Guide.)

I think the Pilot class is likely to be the same class as in Edge, but with different specialties (Fighter Jock, Ship Driver). Soldier likely isn't Merc nor BH (Infantry, Armor, Recon). I'd expect a technical crew class (Engineers, Computers, Gunnery?), Support Services (Medical, Analyst, Public Affairs). I'd not be surprised to see a commando class (equivalent to bounty hunter).

Humans yes, they will be in every book.  Droids will be in the 2nd book, but why put them in the third book.  The third book focuses on the force, jedi, and sith.  Sure, it will still contain the basics of gameplay like the others, but there is no reason to include a race that can't use the force in a book that focuses on the force.

I fully expect the third book to simply focus on the races that we've seen as major force users in the movies.  So basically look at the various members of the jedi counsel and fan favorite jedi masters.

But that book isn't just about the Force.  The impression I got from various interviews was that, in addition to lots of information about the Force, it would also cover high xp adventures and characters.

But that book isn't just about the Force.  The impression I got from various interviews was that, in addition to lots of information about the Force, it would also cover high xp adventures and characters.

I hope it's not a "high xp" book. Low xp dedicated Force users - those with a Force-based Career rather than taking FSE - should be in there as the starting block for F&D characters. So Jedi Padawan and Sith Apprentice should be on par with other starting careers. I don't want to see either of the following games with a higher "starting level" - I just want to see them covering different aspects.

I don't want to see either of the following games with a higher "starting level" - I just want to see them covering different aspects.

I think many will agree with you on that point. If you look at their WH40KRPG's ,though each core book had a slightly different slant focusing on a different aspect of the setting, they could provide a little insight....Which is what I am hoping that they will do with EotE. I preferred the model they used with Dark Heresy where you had a basic book with starting "low level" characters then when you had claweed your way up the food chain, they released "Ascension" which had rules for higher XP games.

It would be cool to see a "high xp" supplement for each of the core lines....The one for EotE could focus on leaders of criminal organizations, hunter syndicates, and really interesting developments for the specializations of many of the core careers. Of course, the biggy would be the F&D would be great....full on Jedi Masters and Sith Lords as well as HIGH level and "rumored" force powers.