Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reklawyad

Just picked up the game…

33 posts in this topic

Few questions.

After watching the demo online and seeing this game in store, I really wanted this game, s I had my wife look and she found it very complicated, I've not read the rules and haven't gotten through the entire demo yet, but I wanted to see what others might have for suggestions on one core set which decks should we each play to have a fun time and be fairly evenly matched??

Is a 2nd core set required to optimal deck building and if so how many extra cards are there going to be that you won't use??

What are the card sleeve points I see listed for each product on the website?

In the Dayton Ohio area are there any others around that also have interest in this game?

thanks

The sleeve points indicate how many 50 packs of sleeves you need to buy to sleeve the entire set.

The decks are all pretty equal in simplicity, but I'd say Rebel and Navy are the easiest.

When you own 2 core sets, unfortunately that means getting 4x the LS and DS "one-off" objective set, but when you think about the fact your deck will be consisting of 10 objective sets, with a possible 32 objective sets to choose from, if you use one DS and one LS deck, then you'll be left with 44 objecitve sets you're not using.

For now with just one core set use the starter decks. The extra core set you will want eventually. Only things extra you will end up and not use are objective sets 18 and 36 as you get two of them in each starter. Course if you build a bunch of decks you might find a use for them. 

Definitely be sure to read the rule book. It isn't very long. Just sit down for an hour or so and read every word of it. True, not everything will stick, but it will cut the learning curve immensely. 

divinityofnumber said:

Definitely be sure to read the rule book. It isn't very long. Just sit down for an hour or so and read every word of it. True, not everything will stick, but it will cut the learning curve immensely. 

Yeah

As I have not been able to play IRL, I needed to read the rule book as well.

Excellent that seems to start me off in the right direction. Any suggestion on sleeves? I'm quite picky on having the sleeves al cut the same and would prefer nothing on the front so no text gets covered up. 

Reklawyad said:

Excellent that seems to start me off in the right direction. Any suggestion on sleeves? I'm quite picky on having the sleeves al cut the same and would prefer nothing on the front so no text gets covered up. 

Just use CLEAR dragon shield's.  I don't care what anybody says, THEY ARE THE BEST SLEEVES PERIOD.  Actually any sleeves will do.  If you want to make sure you're not blocking text stay away from Ultro-Pro's they have a hologram circle on all the fronts of their sleeves.

Clear dragon shields, gotcha!!

after browsing through the customized deck instructions now I see why you buy two core sets. I'll wait on that purchase to see if I can get it for less than the 39.99 I paid already. 

Looks to be a fun game can't wait to try it. 

superradjoe said:

The sleeve points indicate how many 50 packs of sleeves you need to buy to sleeve the entire set.

Ooooooohhhhhhhhh. Wondered what that meant. Thanks! (this is my first FFG LCG also.)

There are certain websites like Amazon or CoolStuffInc that tend to sell the core at less than retail, also some tournaments do not allow clear sleeves so I recommend opaque dragon shields 

superradjoe said:

There are certain websites like Amazon or CoolStuffInc that tend to sell the core at less than retail, also some tournaments do not allow clear sleeves so I recommend opaque dragon shields 

What! I've never heard this before. What's the rational? How common is it? Does FFG have this rule in their Worlds tournaments?

EDIT: I see that Android: Netrunner doesn't require opaque sleeves, so clear is probably safe for Star Wars, as long as the local ones are okay with it as well.

Reklawyad said:

after browsing through the customized deck instructions now I see why you buy two core sets. I'll wait on that purchase to see if I can get it for less than the 39.99 I paid already. 

PM me, I know where you can buy online and save a few bucks.

Reklawyad said:

Miniaturemarket.com

Played the game today with a friend of mine, I was Dark Side he was Light. We didn't get to finish the game as I had to leave but we played for an hour and half.

Took a minute to see how the rules all played out but we both think we got it just fine.

As far as sleeves and such I'm going to look around and see, I saw one thread where a guy spent more on the different ammount of sleeves for the game then he did for the game itself, I'd prefer not to go this route so I might just go with enough sleeves for two 60 cards and a few left over so maybe 200 or 300 sleeves. 

Anyone have good luck with the FF Star Wars ones? Mainly concerned with the sleeves all being the same form so that's what my main concern is. 

Having sleeed cards for over 10 years, the best advice I can give you is if a sleeve has a picture on it, stay away.  i have had the same blue set of dragon shields for years but I have never seen a picture sleeve that is shuffled maintain it's quality longer than a week or two.  That said, they work very well for Force and Affiliation cards.  If you're shuffling, though, they quickly get rough.

I have a few sets of the FF Star Wars sleeves and they seem to be holding up quite well.

As far as the players in the Dayton area, I would try out Epic Loot in Centerville.  I talked with the Epic Loot and they said there is a group that meets on Wednesday nights for Star Wars LCG… I just have not been able to make it there to check out the group. I hope there is enough people to support some tournaments.

Well that's good to hear about Epic Loot.

I'm looking at getting some items from MM and trying to get a pre-order for the next sets as well (x2 for those) but they dont' have A Dark Time yet, but they do have some great pricing on Dragon Shield Sleeves right now. 

As much as I'd love to get the picture ones as well I think I might just skip those but really just a fifty pack for the objectives might not be such a bad idea. 

As I look through the cards, I seem to like the synergy that I see so far in them. Hopefully I can find some people to play around here that would be quite great.

I really enjoy the art sleeves as well. I think of the 12 different images, I have 6. I have been using them since they came out, and have had no issues.

Reklawyad said:

I'm looking at getting some items from MM and trying to get a pre-order for the next sets as well (x2 for those) but they dont' have A Dark Time yet, but they do have some great pricing on Dragon Shield Sleeves right now. 

Do you mean you're going to pre-order two of each Force pack? Because that isn't strictly necessary, unless you're planning on having more than two decks, one of each side, set up at any one time. 

No need to "see what happens" we already know. Each Force Pack will come with 10 objective sets. 60 cards per pack. There will be two copies of most and one copy of the limit of one per deck objective sets. We know this from the Hoth Cycle announcement article. 

All LCGs come with full playsets in their expansions. 

I have never played one of these before. As the announce states, if ther is a 1 limit for each side in a 60 card pack, then that means only 3 new pods for each side the see what happens is more referring to I've not ever bought a full set like that before. 

Oh well then I guess I don't need to buy two of each of the expansions, I thought it would be 10 different objectives, but if they are going to have a full play set sounds great.