Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
superradjoe

FFG's License

Recommended Posts

I know they have already included some expanded universe content, but does anyone know what FFG has actually licensed for this game?  Will we someday see a Darth Maul or Anakin Skywalker card?  I saw a video on cardgamedb.com once that claimed they only licensed the original trilogy, but that doesn't seem to make sense with things like Twi'lek Loyalist or Anzati Elite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Twi'lek loyalist is just a guy still loyal to the ideals of the Jedi and Old Republic. I am sure one was in the galaxy somewhere. 

 

Anzati are extremely long lived and there is one in the cantina scene in A New Hope. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was great news to know that only original trilogy and expanded universe of this trilogy will be present in this game. 

Please no Darth Maul or Anakin in my deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where (if anywhere) is this written?  If FFG has put in writing a promise that none of the Episode 1-3 stuff will ever enter the game then I am much more likely to buy a copy.  One reason I've held off is knowing that one day a Jar Jar card would appear and that that day I would have to burn all my cards.  :)

 

I haven't read the EU books, but it doesn't seem too difficult to imagine that Anakin might be mentioned in one of them.  He's not a character specific to the Episode 1-3 movies, he's just a younger version of a character that already exists.  Including him is no different than including a version of Luke as a child for instance.  It's not even very many years away from the New Hope time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not misunderstood me. I'm not talking about Anakin as EU may mention, I'm talking about episode 1-3 Anakin. Anyway this game is all about characters and situations during episodes 4-6.

Resuming, I don't want anything related with those episodes 1-3.

Please.

P.S: Please, please, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dboeren said:

One reason I've held off is knowing that one day a Jar Jar card would appear and that that day I would have to burn all my cards.  :)

Why would you have to burn all your cards? Seems to me that if you wanted no Jar Jar in the game, you would only have to burn any objective set that features him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MarthWMaster said:

dboeren said:

 

One reason I've held off is knowing that one day a Jar Jar card would appear and that that day I would have to burn all my cards.  :)

 

 

Why would you have to burn all your cards? Seems to me that if you wanted no Jar Jar in the game, you would only have to burn any objective set that features him.

he's a drama queen cangrejo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xenu's Paradox said:

 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Separate Clone Wars game for prequel stuff.

 

 

That kind of leaves people like myself out in the cold, though: those of us who like the Old Republic era, 1000+ years prior to the films; or the Legacy era, several decades after them. You can't honestly think they're going to have a separate game for every era…can you?

I can live with the assumption that stuff like Mandalore the Ultimate, Nomi Sunrider, etc. will never appear in an FFG game (especially given the apparent fixture of their RPG properties in the Classic Era). But if they are ever to show up at all, I would much prefer that they appear in a (possibly stand-alone) expansion to this game, not in some other game where I have to learn a whole new set of rules just to play them. There also needs to be room for those of us who actually want cross-continuity stuff happening: Revan vs. Vader, etc.  If, however, FFG had to make an edict for appeasing purists that would make cards from this set illegal for sanctioned play, I think I could deal with that as well. Because while I love the Expanded Universe in all of its forms and content, I understand that a lot of this stuff is very troubling for some of the fandom. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So wait, people are already going nuts over the Emperor being able to Force Lightning Home One and Yoda being able to take down the Devastator, but we're okay with possibly having Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader Jango Fett and Boba Fett on the table at the same time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a different question.  Anyone have an idea of how long FFG has the Star Wars license for this game?  I read a comment somewhere recently that said Dark Horse will be losing their license to create Star Wars comic books within about a year when Disney takes over.  I was concerned that this game won't have legs past the Dark Mouse Lord taking over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DailyRich said:

 

So wait, people are already going nuts over the Emperor being able to Force Lightning Home One and Yoda being able to take down the Devastator, but we're okay with possibly having Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader Jango Fett and Boba Fett on the table at the same time?

 

 

Consider that the people who are going nuts over the Emperor being able to Force Lightning Home One and Yoda being able to take down the Devastator, and the people who are okay with possibly having Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader, Jango Fett, and Boba Fett on the table at the same time, may be two separate groups of people. I think it's also fair to assume that rules will treat Anakin Skywalker as Darth Vader for the purposes of uniqueness. FFG may even pull an AGoT  here and introduce characters with "throwaway" effects; i.e. Jango Fett dies and you search your deck for Boba Fett, or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

JZWINK said:

I have a different question.  Anyone have an idea of how long FFG has the Star Wars license for this game?  I read a comment somewhere recently that said Dark Horse will be losing their license to create Star Wars comic books within about a year when Disney takes over.  I was concerned that this game won't have legs past the Dark Mouse Lord taking over.

Dark Horse acquired the license years ago, presumably their losing it is a case of it simply not being renewed. Which makes sense, since Disney owns both Marvel and Lucasfilm; it's a question of moving the property in-house.

There's no such issue here, since Disney doesn't have a tabletop game developer in-house. As long as SWLCG continues to be profitable, FFG will almost certainly keep the license.

Re: Martin's comments --

None of the EU-only eras are likely to ever be popular enough to justify their inclusion in the game in any major way. Remember, catering only to hardcore fans isn't a viable business model, even for a AAA+ property like Star Wars. And while things like taking out Home One with Force Lightning fall under gameplay abstraction, mixing together characters who lived thousands of years apart is a bigger hurdle to overcome. We geeks can be a remarkably fickle and nitpicky lot. Also, I feel that the Clone Wars era is distinct enough in feel that a separate game, with separate rules, is justified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xenu's Paradox said:

There's no such issue here, since Disney doesn't have a tabletop game developer in-house. As long as SWLCG continues to be profitable, FFG will almost certainly keep the license.

There was a rumor a few weeks after the Lucasfilm announcement that Disney was looking to acquire Hasbro -- who owns Wizards of the Coast -- that scared the ever-loving daylights out of fans of FFG's Star Wars games who figured the license would go to WotC.  Turned out to be nothing, but you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JustinMcBride said:

I just want this game to continue for more than a few years. I would actually like to see the new trillogy in this game, but I have my doubts.

As long as it's profitable, I don't think we have to worry about that. And FFG is without a doubt among the best in the business. When the CCG market crashed (for the second time), they were one of the few companies to keep their product lines going, albeit in a different format. And now they have more card games on the market than anyone else, including Wizards! Yes, Magic is still the 800 pound gorilla and likely makes more money for Hasbro than FFG's entire company-wide profits, but Wizards still only has two games (Magic and Duel Masters) going at this point, while FFG has Thrones, Cthulhu, Warhammer, Rings, Netrunner, and Star Wars -- three times as many product lines!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toqtamish said:

FFG has a game for both the hobbit and LotR so they might do something similar here. Who knows what the future holds.

 

I don't play it (yet) but I always assumed The Hobbit's cards were just a part of LOTR with slightly different gameplay?

 

Now on this topic, and why I asked, is I know there's a lot of elitist Star Wars-aholics out there who hate the new trilogy, but in my opinion the more variety the better.  Granted, I just first watched The Phantom Menace yesterday and was expecting something along the lines of the worst movie ever and was pleasantly surprised when it was much better than I expected.  Guess it pays to not let fanboydom blind my enjoyment of a card game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xenu's Paradox said:

JustinMcBride said:

 

I just want this game to continue for more than a few years. I would actually like to see the new trillogy in this game, but I have my doubts.

 

 

As long as it's profitable, I don't think we have to worry about that. And FFG is without a doubt among the best in the business. When the CCG market crashed (for the second time), they were one of the few companies to keep their product lines going, albeit in a different format. And now they have more card games on the market than anyone else, including Wizards! Yes, Magic is still the 800 pound gorilla and likely makes more money for Hasbro than FFG's entire company-wide profits, but Wizards still only has two games (Magic and Duel Masters) going at this point, while FFG has Thrones, Cthulhu, Warhammer, Rings, Netrunner, and Star Wars -- three times as many product lines!

Xenu's Paradox said:

JustinMcBride said:

 

I just want this game to continue for more than a few years. I would actually like to see the new trillogy in this game, but I have my doubts.

 

 

As long as it's profitable, I don't think we have to worry about that. And FFG is without a doubt among the best in the business. When the CCG market crashed (for the second time), they were one of the few companies to keep their product lines going, albeit in a different format. And now they have more card games on the market than anyone else, including Wizards! Yes, Magic is still the 800 pound gorilla and likely makes more money for Hasbro than FFG's entire company-wide profits, but Wizards still only has two games (Magic and Duel Masters) going at this point, while FFG has Thrones, Cthulhu, Warhammer, Rings, Netrunner, and Star Wars -- three times as many product lines!

 

Comparing FFG  to WOTC is like comparing a regional store chain to Wal Mart, there is no comparison.  When you have magic the gathering as your flagship product you don't need 5 other games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The prequels introduced many assets that could be used in unique ways, look at what Decipher did with the podraces in the original Star Wars CCG, an alternate way to play with an arguably overpowered win condition. 

It comes down to the concept that some people do enjoy the prequels, and many kids and teens grew up with them and some even see 1-3 as "their" movies.

If people are really going to get bogged down in the logic of Vader/Anakin existing on the same deck, they are in the wrong game. If you want realism or a "Star Wars Universe Sim" game, play the RPG. 

I would love to see iconic moments and characters from the prequel trilogy, especially Count Dooku, Mace Windu, General Grevious, and maybe new ways to play involving politics or negotiations. 

If people are really that uptight about it, then have two formats for play: "Classic" and "Prequel" One you can only use OT cards, the other you can use Prequel. (Or have three formats if people really want to splinter the playgroups) 

We have already seen cards with Mara Jade, so there is no doubt we will get at least hints of EU eventually in the game. Prequels aren't that farfetched. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...