Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hothie

Wave 2 Insights

90 posts in this topic

Duraham said:

The general idea is to try and fly away with the fastest movement possible then pelt targets with your rear arc. Either way, i feel strongly that the Firespray and YT should swap maneuver dials

I was able to fly it fairly well. I only lost action once (when I wasn't stressed), and that was when he intentionally flew Chewie straight 4 so I would collide with him. Aside from that, Kath with Marksmanship and Gunner put a hurt on Biggs, and I was able to strip the shields away from his Falcon. And I even put a hit on it, while my Kath had 3 shields left. But then he maneuvered into my blindspot, and the edge of the board coupled with the asteroids kept me turning to try and avoid them, which I did, but it didn't matter because I didn't have a shot and he did the entire time.

It was just frustrating that I couldn't get a shot and he could, which further magnifies the fact that the YT is better than the firespray.

hothie said:

But then he maneuvered into my blindspot, and the edge of the board coupled with the asteroids kept me turning to try and avoid them, which I did, but it didn't matter because I didn't have a shot and he did the entire time.

It was just frustrating that I couldn't get a shot and he could, which further magnifies the fact that the YT is better than the firespray.

Just curious if you've tried the Firespray with Expert Handling yet.  If you have, did it help alleviate any of the frustrations you've had with the ship?

I haven't. I did run it on the falcon once, just so I could say I barrel rolled the Falcon. :) It wouldn't have helped in this case due to being too close to the edge of the board and the asteroids.

And my last maneuver did get me out of that spiral, so that I could go straight next turn, but he finished me off then. If I would have turned into the asteroid instead, not only do I still not get to attack, but now I have the chance to take a hit as well, so no, flying into the asteroid wasnt an option.

I think the YT and Firespray are too different to say one is better than the other. Like saying the X-wing is better than the Y-wing. 

I gave my Firespray some flying too, trying to make it work, and what did work for me is to move it forward 1, and get another ship to block it, so that it moves forward0 or less. That way, you can fake out formation flying with it. I realized the main problem with the Firespray is that it is too fast, too big and a lack of side arcs means that when you are trying to turn around, you arent doing much, and you will be turning around very often. Think of it a big fish, say a barracuda, stuck in a small tank. It can finish off your other fishes in 1 bite, but it cant because there isnt any room for it to turn. Expert handling does help somewhat, but then on your next turn you have the problem of stress tokens.

I was using a bounty hunter + gunner. I love squad leader a lot, so that upgrade is nearly a guarantee in my squads.

@Hothie,

"Asteroids do not concern me."

all joking aside, did you have a bomb?  Any success I've had with this ship has been because the bombs tend to keep other ships at range three giving me an extra green dice. Also the heavy laser doesn't grant extra green dice so I try to always be shooting with that. 

I want everyone to know that I still think the YT-100 is the better large base ship.  I just believe in know your enemy, so I've been flying it to figure out what I might have to deal with.  

The turning war happened at the end of the game. As it turned out, i did have a seismic charge, but I used it earlier to hit all 3 of his ships, as well as my other 2 (didn't get quite as far away from it as I thought I was.)

Yeah, I can't wait for Wave 2 to get here, so i can start running multiple Interceptor squads without using proxies. Then I can stop trying to make the Firespray work for me, which I've found many times that it doesn't.

I've been using a squint and a few ties to tie up rebel fighters in the middle of the board and then Using the heavy gun like a sniper rifle to pick ships off.  It is some what working. The problem is that there is nothing to stop my opponents from rushing the Firespray other than the one bomb it can have. 

in regards to the firesprays, i've come to the conclusion that engine upgrade may very well be almost mandatory with it to make it shine.  being able to boost will assist in turning much quicker to line up shots and keep you in the fight and also help keep targets out of your blind spots.  plus, the hull and shield points should allow you to boost more often knowing you can survive a few hits, if needed, if it results in being able to hit like a truck the following turn….and if you boost correctly, you may maneuver out of firing arcs completely, negating some of that downside.  adding in daredevil as a EPT is also something worth trying out with the firespray, too.

stealth devices, IMO, should only be used on ships with a standard agility value of 3 to get the biggest use out of those three points.  otherwise, you're only turning an xwing into a gimped TIE defensively.  ywings would be pointless…so would putting one on the falcon, obviously.  you can make a case for running one with krassis and a heavy laser cannon because you've got the evade action you can use each turn and then you'll still be using 4 attack dice at any range from the front firing arc (with a free reroll in range 2-3).  I don't think i'd use it with either of the other firespray pilots, though.

also, another card from wave 1 that i think gets some massive life in wave 2 is determination.  putting that on a slave or a falcon gives a 24% chance to ignore ALL damage completely on a face up damage card.  that's potentially pretty huge…all for just 1 point, to boot.           

Picasso said:

Does anyone know the answer,

If I use an "R2 Astromech" with engine upgrade, is my boost action a green manuver?

Help please.

Boosting is not a maneuver so no, it will not be green.

I tried out Kath + Marksmanship + Gunner last night and was really pleased with the results.  That is a surprisingly effective combo and not too bad at 46 points.

I found I could take the first shot at an A-Wing with an Evade token, to stress it when I missed, then the second shot from the gunner somewhere else for some damage.   I didn't lose a ship and my other ships were able to play off the Firespray pretty well.

i think it worked better without the HLC as I was mostly shooting rear arc shots later in the game.