Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toqtamish

Cyber Exodus Preview

29 posts in this topic

How can Archer have been the worst ICE for you to face then when encountering it won you the game?

Well but that's precisely the point I said you misunderstood.
When I run, it wasn't anymore, because by gathering enough credits it couldn't harm me anymore.

Do I have to point out how you said (twice now) that Archer would have been the worst for you in that situation?

I said it indeed, because I didn't have enough credits to break it, nor I could bypass it.
That's why I said that I made the right call, because I gathered those few more credits that made all the difference.

I agree entirely with what you said earlier, about a wrong guess could prove catastrofic. But mine wasn't.

How can, taking into account an ICE that could prove disastrous and thus deciding to get enough creds to survive and actually turn it to my advantage, be considered a bad assessment of the situation?

The examples I made about Snitch may have been bad, but I didn't mean to say (or make them to prove that) Snitch is worthless.
As it has been said by many including you the card has its good points. I am not so excited about it, because I don't see it as really necessary.

Snitch allows you to avoid the worst case circumstances.

Precisely. However, careful preparation of his actions and play experience basically does the same for a player.
Snitch is just one more weapon in that direction.

It's quite good against Replicating Perfection, though… since it allows jack out on the very first ICE.

The card I like the most in the preview, anyway, is Test Run… search and install, plus the possible recycle.
Will probably allow for very fast decks, maybe better if with Chaos Theory.

Well but that's precisely the point I said you misunderstood.
When I run, it wasn't anymore, because by gathering enough credits it couldn't harm me anymore.

No. You never said that. You simply considered Archer to be the worst one you could possibly encounter. You raised your credits as part of the preparations you like to brag about, but by no means did you know it was Archer. And you certainly did not think that Archer would give you the win.

Furthermore, regardless of the excuses you're trying to pull off now and the misunderstanding you claim is happening, the fact remains that it's still not a scenario that puts Snitch in a bad light. Neither was it the absolute worst ICE for you to run into in the game.

I said it indeed, because I didn't have enough credits to break it, nor I could bypass it.
That's why I said that I made the right call, because I gathered those few more credits that made all the difference.

I agree entirely with what you said earlier, about a wrong guess could prove catastrofic. But mine wasn't.

How can, taking into account an ICE that could prove disastrous and thus deciding to get enough creds to survive and actually turn it to my advantage, be considered a bad assessment of the situation?

Again. You still just don't get it.

Archer was not the worst ICE for you to encounter for the purpose of winning that game because encountering Archer caused you to win that game.

Your opponent had the lead in agenda points. The only way you saw to swing victory away from him was to steal some of your own. This would close the gap in points between you two.

Your plan was straightforward and according to how most games normally go: make a run, break through the ICE, claim your prize.

That didn't happen. Archer rezzed and ended your run. However, in doing so, your opponent had to forfeit ICE and lose his lead. You then went on to win by points.

You failed in your run, but you succeeded in your goal: getting the lead in agenda points. This gave you victory.

The true worst case scenario for you then was meeting ICE that you could not break that ended runs that did not cause the Corp to lose agenda points. You would have failed in your run while the Corp kept its lead and then won.

It's a bad assessment of the situation inasfar as you lucked out. You're clear in your narration that you weren't planning for this to happen, to win that way (despite now pretending that's what you meant). If you did, you'd have considered Archer a fortuitous ICE to meet rather than the "worst". It would have meant you realizing that encountering Archer would turn your run into a win-win situation. You're only seeing it now because it's been pointed out to you.

The examples I made about Snitch may have been bad, but I didn't mean to say (or make them to prove that) Snitch is worthless.
As it has been said by many including you the card has its good points. I am not so excited about it, because I don't see it as really necessary.

Yeah. They were bad. Really bad. Not even just missing the point of Snitch or showing a situation where Snitch doesn't even come to play, but you also failed to truly understand how one of your own games worked out.

As for not meaning to say Snitch is worthless, neither did you makes that point clear from the beginning nor did you say anything to indicate such. You started by saying you didn't play blindly anyway (which you actually do) and then went on to say that it's a Runner card that benefits the Corp more than the Runner, as if losing the game was worse than getting the Corp to spend more.

All your replies have been to defend that viewpoint until it had to be pointed out to you how silly it was. You even went on to say that FFG themselves were wrong in their article about it, saying that:

"Snitch does not help you run smarter, on the contrary, it helps you run wilder."

This is despite the ability of Snitch to let you see through the most basic bluff in the game!

And let's get this straight: lots of cards in this game are not a necessity to begin with. That's besides the point.

It's not necessity but effectiveness and practicality that's in question here. The ability to see ahead and avoid among the worst the Corp can throw at you is highly valuable and attractive.

Just for the record, saying to someone "you certainly did not think" is just ludicrous.

For someone acting as the ultimate connoisseur, should be obvious that 8 credits are what's needed to break the trash subroutines of Archer with the most used Killer program (aka Ninja). The math is easily done: 6 creds to raise the strenght twice, 2 creds to break two subroutines.

"So I gathered credits to reach 8 and run."

And that's what I wrote, just scroll up.
What do you think I gathered exactly 8 credits for?
A hint was on the line before: "What could be the worst ICE for me? Archer."

Then again, since you claim you know what I was thinking, I guess further discussion is kinda pointless.
It also seems you're getting way too angry about this, and the discussion has been derailed enough anyway.

"What could be the worst ICE for me? Archer."

It's not ludicrous because that is exactly what happened as evidenced by what you said and how things turned out. Archer popping up was the next best thing to scoring that Agenda and you still don't get it.

And you're right; I am getting too angry about this. After all, I'm not the one missing out on what was a good turn of tactical fortune.