Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eiterorm

Favorite and least favorite investigators

64 posts in this topic

To add to the job-swapping, Hank the Gate diver and Harvey Walters the monster hunter! Give that crazy old codger a .45, a gladius and a Voice of Ra and watch the icor fly!

The Professor said:

@ eiterorm: ..and that is why I studied History and International Relations ~ God bless you! 

Well, I'm studying for a master's degree in engineering, so I kind of have to know these things. ;-]

subochre said:

Now I'm trying to imagine which combination of investigators would lead to the most out-of-character optimal rearrangement of roles and equipment.  I'm thinking Mark the Gate-Diver, Flamethrower-wielding Dexter (although I guess he did fight in WWI), and Trish the Sorceress.

Mark + Sister Mary. Nun with a flamethrower on turn one.

OrionAnderson said:

subochre said:

Now I'm trying to imagine which combination of investigators would lead to the most out-of-character optimal rearrangement of roles and equipment.  I'm thinking Mark the Gate-Diver, Flamethrower-wielding Dexter (although I guess he did fight in WWI), and Trish the Sorceress.

Mark + Sister Mary. Nun with a flamethrower on turn one.

Sounds like a cheap anime premise! XD Effective, though, especially with her Blessing! XD Get that gal Annointed too and she'd be a curse-breaking, holy-fire spewing machine!

Or Wilson + Wendy. Little girl with motorcycle, whiskey and a shotgun.

Sounds like something Quentin Tarantino could have made.

Tbla said:

A minor with a motorcycle, whiskey and shotgun. And she can't get arrested for it while she has an elder sign. =P

eiterorm said:

Tbla said:

A minor with a motorcycle, whiskey and shotgun. And she can't get arrested for it while she has an elder sign. =P

"Bless the child" indeed.

For Wendy, I can only quote Aliens:

"Seventeen DAYS? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen HOURS! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before!  And they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!
"HUDSON! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training!  Right?"
[Newt salutes]
"Well, why don't you put her in charge?!"

For Sister Mary, there may be a lot of new players here who never got to read my first Session ditty.  Let's take the way-back machine to 2006, when I had just a few dozen games under my belt:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/103288/a-moment-of-glory-brought-to-you-by-sister-mary

jgt7771 said:

For Wendy, I can only quote Aliens:

"Seventeen DAYS? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen HOURS! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before!  And they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!
"HUDSON! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training!  Right?"
[Newt salutes]
"Well, why don't you put her in charge?!"

I've always thought that the best way to deal with many AOs is to dust off and nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

Of course it won't work on Azathoth as he does it first.

Judgement Dave said:

I've always thought that the best way to deal with many AOs is to dust off and nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

Didn't they say "if we nuke Cthulhu, he'll come back. Radioactive"? [quoting the back cover of Cthulhu Now, I think]

eiterorm said:

Tbla said:

Actually had a game where Wendy wound up with the motorcycle, whiskey and the Sword of Glory, she was badass in that game. :)

Kong-lin said:

Actually had a game where Wendy wound up with the motorcycle, whiskey and the Sword of Glory, she was badass in that game.

"Senorita Wendy, he's says there's a storm coming."

"…..I know."

dundun dun dundun ting dundun dun dundun ting dundun dun dundun ting

For me (as a beginner), I've found the combo of Joe Diamond and Mandy Thompson pretty lethal (as 2 of a quartet).

If you tend to combine Joe and Mandy's personal skills, Joe becomes almost undefeatable. For spending one clue-token, he essentially gets four re-rolls. (often more if e.g. he's rolling 5 dice and you use Mandy's skill before spending a clue token).

So far, we've played with 2 players using 2 investigators each (Joe, Mandy, Jenny and Pete). Joe mops up Arkham, Jenny goes to the bank then the curiosity shoppe to get cool items, Mandy swiftly closes 2 gets and we use Pete as a fairly versatile extra (gate sealing if thinsg aren't too hectic in Arkham, helping mop up monsters in Arkham if needed).

Once we were able to use monster trophies and gate tokens to bless the party, it seemed like pretty plain sailing. Certainly, once 3 gates are sealed, it felt hard to lose.

So far, to my great surprise, we are 2 and 0 (beat Azathoth with doom track on 10 and Ithaqua with doom track on 8).

No obvious spell casters in our team - but this didn't seem to hinder us too badly.

AbslomDaak,

Welcome to the Carnival!  You have obviously hit-on a winning combination.  I wouldn't, however, put too much stock in so-called "spellcasters" in AH, as the genre is much different than say, D&D.  Spells in AH are meant to slowly erode your Sanity...thus, you're less likely to walk around like Gandalf and instead you'll be seen after effectively casting a few spells as the gibbering fool in the corner, drooling on yourself.

Cheers,

The Professor

Avi_dreader likes this