Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darian Ocana

Powered by Edge of the Empire

119 posts in this topic

That's the best part of this narrative system, it converts fairly easily to anything you  want.

It has potential, that's for sure. Not sure if "anything" really is the limit just yet, but it sure does have the potential for great things.

I would love to see a Dragonstar conversion. It's pretty close as it is. Magic items can be done using the enhancement/modification system and spellware can easily be adapted from the cyberware system. The one thing I'm stuck on is how would magic work.

Right now I'm thinking that there would a different "magic rating" (equal to force rating) for each type of magic (Arcane, Divine, Nature and Psionic). There would also be different skills based on magic school (Evocation, Necromancy, Illusion...). You could only put ranks in those skills if you have an appropriate magic rating (so you could only put points in the Healing magic skill if you have a Divine or Nature rating of 1 or higher). Spells will be purchased sort of like equipment but you could only learn them if you have the correct ranks in the appropriate magic skill (usually at least 1 rank but more powerful spells would require more ranks, and maybe even higher magic rating).

You would still use the force dice (would have to be renamed). When you cast a spell you roll the force dice and if it comes up with a white dot you cast the spell (more white dots equals stronger spell). Black dots would work the same way except they would do strain damage (I'm thinking 2 strain per black dot). That way magic is risky. You could (if you get lucky) keep casting all day without a problem or you could keep getting black dots and being drained until you pass out.

That's all I have so far so please tell me what you think. I figure once you figure out how magic should work then the rest should be easy.

whafrog likes this

I'm having a B5 run through (again) and ... while chameleon eclectic did have a fun system, neither that nor the d20 version really gives me joy. Perhaps I should try make a conversion ... hohum. This system should work well for that. I think. :ph34r:

DoctorWhat likes this

I like JTShannon's idea about magic.  In my conversion I had characters roll a number of force dice equal to thier rating to cast spells. Subtract dark side points from lightside, if the total is still positive the spell goes off and extra light side points increase the effects with each spell having a static strain cost.  However i like the idea of only needing one light side point for the spell to go off, with extra light sides increasing the effect.  No set strain cost, but dark side points cause strain. Gives the player a trade-off.  They can roll extra dice to maybe increase the effect, while also maybe increase the strain.

I want to use EotE to run 40k but I'm stuck on how to do psychic powers, an area of 40k I've never used much.

Would the current Force powers and talent tree do?

If not, what would you suggest?

I'll be looking at hacking SW:EotE to run a Blake's 7 game.

Just wondering if you had gotten anywhere with this, I would be very interested in seeing how you handle it, especially starship power systems. 

E

I actually ran a game as an indiana Jones type game.

Think i ran it as 30s rather than modern but can't remember.

Character creation notes are here : http://that70sgame.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/edge-of-the-world-1/

I had stats for a T-rex and dilophosaurus but all hand written.

It worked really well.

I generally think this is a great modern system (due to dual axis results) which can run most settings based on 'normal' characters. Which gives scope for anything outside of High fantasy and supers. Should be particularly good for Sci-Fi (Duh!) Modern, Spy, and horror due to stress/strain.

I actually ran a game as an indiana Jones type game.

Think i ran it as 30s rather than modern but can't remember.

My attempts at a Dieselpunk system went along much the same lines as yours, but I like the ideas you had for the careers.

For my, ah, fantasy game, I pretty much set all swords and similar close combat weapons to deal the damage of their vibro- cousins. On account of killing people with a non-vibrating knife taking forever in a system originally built for blasters and lightsabers.

Edited by Ghoura Agur

I am thinking about converting rifts over to the edge and the name of the project is Edge of a Rift. some of the things I am thinking about is bumping up max stats is 10 which they will be still be the starting points from 1-5 costing regular points but once you reach 6 the points will double unless you get into a class/specialization which allows stats to go higher. The classes will be converted to specialities for base classes which I am trying to decide since I do have the main book and the beta book to AOR. Weapons is the easy part which I am tackling right now nothing has been put to words but is still in progress and since they will be the easiest of the projects that is my initial project.

Races will be re-worked as they will have to fit for the edge system. Magic and Psionics will be based off of the Force system with the force die A friend has the Warhammer system and so I will need to play with that system and see if some of that system could be used in the conversion as well. The power armor and robots will be based of the vehicle system as well but I will be working on a system since there are light to heavy power armor and robots as well. I know this will be a long project as I am also running a Star Wars game but as I get things converted I do plan on play-testing stuff in the game for my players to play around with from time to time. Any input is be very much appreciated and looked into to see of they would fit in my vision of the game. The rule books and world books up to Canada is what I am limiting to for right now and maybe others will be included as I get closer to being done with the initially project.

A couple people have said it and I agree - a Rifts conversion would be awesome! Rifts has some cool story concepts but the system is deterring enough that I stay away. EotE mechanics would do wonders for it!

Bioshock. Adams as the Force powers, guns have upgrades, there's psychos that have just as messed up stuff. It's got a few pretty good established locations, and you can have it all in that alternate world where it's more common stuff. 

I have started to use some stuff from Rifts but others have deterred me from a full conversion, saying to stay with the current system even though I do agree with you that EOTE would be a great mechanics for the Rifts system and actually after looking over both systems the main things that need a major over haul would be the classes and specialization and looking into a magic system that would work great for rifts. I have converted a couple of Races like the Dog boy Promethians and the cyborg Wolfen and a couple others from Phase World. I do have plans to introduce a new Stormtrooper(s) in Samas suits since Rifts is a form of Star Wars. I might even do more Race Conversions as they are the easiest of all the conversions. Equipment will be easy since you can set a base and just list which pistols and rifles fit where.

I am thinking Cybernetics will grant free talents, Boost abilities and skills. I am also thinking of staying with max abilities of 6 and skills at 5 unless I can come up with a system for an increase to both of those, which I am partial to, would give more of a feel to Rifts with Supernatural Brawn. Rifts would be very do-able and would be a great improvement. I wold also have to think about giving an increase on Manuevers and actions possible for the Juicer effect. I just do not know if having actual dragons being played would work but maybe a dragon kin and giving them special powers from the dragons. Maybe having two talent charts players could pick from Race and class/specialization which is do-able as well. I need feedback on this subject please.

OK, is there anyone looking at converting this to a Fantasy setting? I'd be keen to see people's take on how spells work in this system.

Aren't Force powers essentially spells in a sci-fi setting? I think that treating them in the same way in fanatasy setting works just as well. Heck you can even keep the names as they are general enough to pass as spells. 

EldritchFire and shlominus like this

I've come to some conclusions about conversions of this system.

The first: that I love the dice mechanic and it is a wonderful system.

Converting a setting, like rifts, is a massive undertaking that I started only because i hated the system it is in and I believed there was zero chance that the setting would see a new ruleset. Now that an official Savage Worlds conversion is being produced I don't feel the need to work on it.

Also, I found that I don't have the time to work on it as much as I would like what with being a stay at home dad with a toddler.

Finally, as someone who is the ever GM, I have decided that I am only going to convert things that I will get to play in. Especially with my time constraints. There are easier systems that I enjoy to convert to, that also require less work. A parent GM is a lazy (read emotionally and physically exhausted from dealing with toddlers).

Final reason: I backed Robotech and palladium is, to be nice, only say miamaging that debacle and have ruined any good faith I had in that setting. I could play Numenera instead and get the same **** feel.

Richardbuxton likes this

My group and I have been working on a Skyrim conversion that we're calling Edge of Tamriel.

Not keen on using the Force mechanic for spellcasting, because when people cast spells, they're expecting to succeed a lot more than they fail. :)  It's been out of my hands for a few months now, but I'll have to see if the documents have been updated.

kaosoe, derroehre and GM Hooly like this

My group and I have been working on a Skyrim conversion that we're calling Edge of Tamriel.

Not keen on using the Force mechanic for spellcasting, because when people cast spells, they're expecting to succeed a lot more than they fail. :)  It's been out of my hands for a few months now, but I'll have to see if the documents have been updated.

I would suggest making up a new magic system like any other skills with difficulties based upon spell power. Spell user Talent trees would grant various spell lines (Fire, Healing, etc). Then, use the Force system for the Shouts if you happen to have a PC with dragonblood.

I've posted links to this in a few other threads, but as the subject keeps popping up, here's a link to our Conan flavored conversion - The Edge of the Aquilonian Empire.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o09pnz71ylq9a3r/AADrO-InRbC8QbK3zZoNAokja?dl=0

It's been working out well, playtesting has gone better than hoped, with only a few tweaks here and there. That being said, feel free to peruse, play, and feed back about what you like and what you don't.

(We're waiting for the Bounty Hunter book, as well as F&D to come out before we do the last update, btw...)

GM Hooly, Sturn and whafrog like this

I would suggest making up a new magic system like any other skills with difficulties based upon spell power. Spell user Talent trees would grant various spell lines (Fire, Healing, etc). Then, use the Force system for the Shouts if you happen to have a PC with dragonblood.

That's what we're working with right now.  Skills to magic, with difficulties based on the level of the spell and strain used to power the magic.  We're not accounting for dragonblooded players right now because that wasn't part of the design requirement :)

The basic docs are here.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3dJ4SyGwAuJM3FYVk8xQ0c5N00&authuser=0

Lorne likes this

Hah.  Just had another brainstorm I'll have to write up.  Some of my players might love the idea.  Monster Hunter.  

Some key differences in narrative and structure.  Each turn has to be shorter.  A few seconds as opposed to a minute.  Pretty much all of the characters are the same, with key differences coming in player skill (I wouldn't try to model), weapon type, weapon rarity, armor type, and armor rarity.  So instead of spending xp to buy tree nodes and skills, you spend your session xp to buy carves and craft your armor and weapon of choice.

Wyverns would have to be pretty scary.  It'd take some tweaking to figure out a happy point, and lots of moves would have to have cooldown or completion periods (charging a big swing with a greatsword could take up to 4 turns, including the final swing, for example).  Monster moves would usually have a tell followed by the execution, which could take a variable number of turns to complete and hit multiple attack zones.   Oh yeah, you'd need attack zones (front, left/right, back) for positioning with range bands.  A move like a Great Jaggi's bite could attack all enemies engaged at front and right (or left) and turn him 90 degrees in that direction, changing everyone's positioning.

Would have to play with the armor and hp values, but since you don't raise stats and skills as you level, you can make assumptions to make the math easier.

Hmm.  Bigger weapons (greatsword, hammer, hunting horn) raise brawn when used.  Attack Up skills raise the melee skill.  Part breaking would have to be a thing, because it's iconic, so there would have to be (simplified) hit locations for monsters.  front = head, left/right = wings/claws, back = tail.

Hmm

That's what we're working with right now.  Skills to magic, with difficulties based on the level of the spell and strain used to power the magic.  We're not accounting for dragonblooded players right now because that wasn't part of the design requirement :)

The basic docs are here.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3dJ4SyGwAuJM3FYVk8xQ0c5N00&authuser=0

Great stuff, and as much as I love EotE and Tamriel, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better to just reflavor WFRP3, instead.  Also, bear in mind that the Elder Scrolls system was inspired by BRP's percentile system, so the deeper one delves into the root mechanics, the more anomalous and less intuitive the conversion becomes (in the name of fidelity to the "feel").

Great stuff, and as much as I love EotE and Tamriel, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better to just reflavor WFRP3, instead.  Also, bear in mind that the Elder Scrolls system was inspired by BRP's percentile system, so the deeper one delves into the root mechanics, the more anomalous and less intuitive the conversion becomes (in the name of fidelity to the "feel").

I've never seen the WFRP3 or BRP systems, so I was just sorta winging it. :)

I saw you guys posting about a Rifts conversion, and I started work on one.

Here are my notes so far:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rczLiHP8iNt3lmErmsJwVC6V5JSEh91m9-o9VGGkeek/

Here are the talent sheets (really just one right now, the Psi-Stalker / Dog Boy class which I called Psi-Tracker): https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1gZifskGdBmALh-EDQ29dCCKcRwf56yFWXT8HKv8x7Dg/

Tons and tons of work to do here, but I'm having some fun with it!

Edited by FuriousGuy
gilbur, FangGrip and Daeglan like this

looked at your rifts conversion and first noticed you titled your conversion the same as mine and had my notebook labelled as well. i did do a quick view and do like what i have seen. Do have a couple of questions though

question 1: I noticed you gave 200 xp and 100 xp for stats, looks like you want stats to go higher than 6 is that what you are shooting for?

question 2: i would set an average damage for weapons and work from there, every weapon in Rifts is in Star Wars, so it should not be hard to list the average and this will cut down on work, description you can list what weapon falls under the description. (this is what I was planning on doing

question 3: I would have alot of additional knowledge skills since there is alot more knowledge in Rifts than Star Wars.

Oh yeah, if you are going to do exclusive specializations, I would look into other specializations off of these specializations. I think players would be bored after while.

These are just pointers, how I would convert Rifts over to this system and could make your conversion alittle bit faster than you can tweak from there.

looked at your rifts conversion and first noticed you titled your conversion the same as mine and had my notebook labelled as well. i did do a quick view and do like what i have seen. Do have a couple of questions though

question 1: I noticed you gave 200 xp and 100 xp for stats, looks like you want stats to go higher than 6 is that what you are shooting for?

question 2: i would set an average damage for weapons and work from there, every weapon in Rifts is in Star Wars, so it should not be hard to list the average and this will cut down on work, description you can list what weapon falls under the description. (this is what I was planning on doing

question 3: I would have alot of additional knowledge skills since there is alot more knowledge in Rifts than Star Wars.

Oh yeah, if you are going to do exclusive specializations, I would look into other specializations off of these specializations. I think players would be bored after while.

These are just pointers, how I would convert Rifts over to this system and could make your conversion alittle bit faster than you can tweak from there.

i would be careful with stats going over 6. The mechanic starts to break there. 

What it says is they can only have one exclusive spec. They can expand into other none exclusive specs. 

Edited by Daeglan