Sign in to follow this  
lupex

Too many advantages

Xyx said:

aramis said:

The beta input period closed over a month ago.  It's a done deal now.

It's not a done deal until the final product is in the stores.  Nothing is set in stone, and even if the beta is officially closed, the forum is still open.  And while I never expected something as fundamental as the dice to get changed on such short notice anyway, there might be an EotE 2.0 some day.  This error does not have to be repeated.

And obviously you have no clue how the production cycle in the RPG industry works.

It's a "done deal" because by now, the material has been sent to lay-out and the files sent to the printer, with time accounted for the actual printing and overseas shipping.  There's a **** good reason why companies like WotC, FFG, Green Ronin, Mongoose, and many others work several months in advance of when a book is slated to be releaed, and even most companies tend to keep the release date flexible to try and account for unforseen delays.  Green Ronin, which is pretty well known for releasing the PDFs at least a few months in advance of the print copies are pretty much limited to fixing typos and minor bits of grammer by that point.

And remember that per the terms of the contract that FFG signed with LucasFilm, there are no PDF products permitted.  The books are dead-tree format only.

So yes, it's a done deal.  And again, the design crew have not commented even once on all the remarks that people have made about issues such as too many advantages or dice math doesn't give enough successes.  Nothing from Jay "Ynnen" Little, nothing from FFG_Sam_Stewart, nothing from anyone attached to FFG.

That alone should speak volumes as to how FFG feels about that specific category of complaints.

So like it, love it, or hate it, the dice system that's in the Beta and the Beginner Box is the dice system that is going to be in the EotE core rulebook.  And no amount of forum posts is going to change that fact.

But if you really do feel there are too many advantages, then I suggest a very simple house rule… change what the current success and advantage symbols mean.  Have the explosions = Advantages, and the Alliance firebirds = Successes, and see if that doesn't solve the issue for you.  It's something that I've suggested to a lot of different people that had the same complaint as you, but oddly, nobody ever seemed to consider that maybe they could change that one little tidbit for their games instead of whining to FFG.  I'd love to be surprised and hear that somebody actually tried it, with some feedback on whether it worked or not to resolve the "too many Advantages" issue.

I did mention a possible EotE 2.0 somewhere in my post, but you can keep knocking down strawmen if it makes you feel better.  I haven't seen a whole lot of feedback from the developers either way, though, so if their silence "speaks volumes", then they sure speak volumes on a lot of subjects.

The quality of a game is inversely proportional to the amount of house rules.  I don't buy books to rewrite them.  I don't buy them to speculate on the designers' intent either.

Well, I have had a light bulb moment about the passing of boost dice to the next active player;

the difficulty for me was that the active player had to explain the narrative for how his action resulted in an as yet unknown player getting a boost and this didn't make any kind of sense ( this has nothing to do with unlearning but more to do with the narrative flowing in a logical fashion).

However, if we take out the mechanics of the boost die and concentrate on what happens to the narative when the boost die is handed over then things start to fall into place.   The boost dice is the physical representation of the narrative being passed to the next active player, so it isn't necessarily down to the current player to describe how his action aided the next action, as the next player can describe how he took advantage of what had gone before.

for example; player A fires at a group of Mercs, missing but getting an advantage, he opts to give a boost die to the next active player without knowing who it is or what they are going to do.  Player C then decides to act describing how the missed shots ricochet across the hanger and forcing everyone to keep their heads down, making it easier for him to sneak towards the unattended speader, thus describing how he got the extra boost from player A.

to me this not only keeps the narrative flowing in a logical way but also keeps everyone invested in the actions of all party members, because if you can't describe how you got a boost die, I won't be allowing you to use it.

lupex said:

for example; player A fires at a group of Mercs, missing but getting an advantage, he opts to give a boost die to the next active player without knowing who it is or what they are going to do.  Player C then decides to act describing how the missed shots ricochet across the hanger and forcing everyone to keep their heads down, making it easier for him to sneak towards the unattended speader, thus describing how he got the extra boost from player A.

Thank you for this. This is a perfect explanation in my opinion. It can keep the non-active players concentrating on the action since they need to be thinking of how they may need to use the advantages that the other player rolled, not flipping through their Iphone bored waiting for their turn.