Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toqtamish

The Hoth Cycle - What We Know So Far

121 posts in this topic

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

I went through all the scanerios.  With a combination of "Decoy at Dantoine" and "False Lead" the current worse case scenario is 6 objectives.  DS cannont fail to win if it destroys 6 objectives, and that takes some very suboptimal play to stretch it that far.

I suspect he missed the part where the dial increases by 1 for each objective in the victory pile, and is just increasing by 1 each time an objective is destroyed.

Oooh, I did indeed miss that. I was actually going off the whole "you lose if you have to pull a new objective and can't" bit, forgetting about the fact that the DS dial increases whenever you ace a Light objective entirely.

Also, the LS COULD theoretically use It Binds All Things to recycle False Leads, so you could HYPOTHETICALLY have to empty the LS player's Objective Deck. It's just massively unlikely.

Xenu's Paradox said:

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

I went through all the scanerios.  With a combination of "Decoy at Dantoine" and "False Lead" the current worse case scenario is 6 objectives.  DS cannont fail to win if it destroys 6 objectives, and that takes some very suboptimal play to stretch it that far.

I suspect he missed the part where the dial increases by 1 for each objective in the victory pile, and is just increasing by 1 each time an objective is destroyed.

Oooh, I did indeed miss that. I was actually going off the whole "you lose if you have to pull a new objective and can't" bit, forgetting about the fact that the DS dial increases whenever you ace a Light objective entirely.

Also, the LS COULD theoretically use It Binds All Things to recycle False Leads, so you could HYPOTHETICALLY have to empty the LS player's Objective Deck. It's just massively unlikely.

And you really though that the game intended the DS player to have to kill 8 objectives in order for an offensive DS player to win?  That didn't sound very odd?

ScottieATF said:

Xenu's Paradox said:

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

And you really though that the game intended the DS player to have to kill 8 objectives in order for an offensive DS player to win?  That didn't sound very odd?

Brain fart.

cooleo1c said:

What is the date on the first pack? Anyone know yet?

On the 'Upcoming' page of this site, the Desolation of Hoth is still listed as 'In Development'.  Given that the cards haven't even been sent to the printer yet, and then another 4-6 for the boat journey, I'd say early March is probably a more realistic expectation at this point.  That is assuming they are close to being done with development, though.  

sojo2600 said:

cooleo1c said:

What is the date on the first pack? Anyone know yet?

On the 'Upcoming' page of this site, the Desolation of Hoth is still listed as 'In Development'.  Given that the cards haven't even been sent to the printer yet, and then another 4-6 for the boat journey, I'd say early March is probably a more realistic expectation at this point.  That is assuming they are close to being done with development, though.  

That is assuming the website is up to date. Potomac distribution shows Feb 28th for their date, but they also show all of the other ffg stuff on that same date so take it for what you will.

geki said:

Based on you experience, what does that mean as far as timing is concerned?

We are most likely looking at March. Most of the other stuff that is now at the printers is set for a March release. Now if they were to advance SW to the front of the line or something like that it could change and it also depends on where the printer is located that they are using. A lot of stuff is printed over seas and then gets shipped to FFG stateside via boat before being shipped to distributors etc. So still a few weeks away, maybe late February if things all fall in to place.

First post updated with Assault on Echo Base information.

Can anyone make out the objective set number on Forward Command Post? I cannot make it out looks like 55 or 58 to me.

Looks like a 58 to me.  That said, there's nothing indicating there will be 2 Imperial Navy objective sets, as Snowtrooper Vanguard is a neutral Unit (neutral units have the 3-lined gray thing in the upper right corner and aligned units do not)

Toqtamish said:

Can anyone make out the objective set number on Forward Command Post? I cannot make it out looks like 55 or 58 to me.

Honestly looks like 54 to me.

superradjoe said:

Looks like a 58 to me.  That said, there's nothing indicating there will be 2 Imperial Navy objective sets, as Snowtrooper Vanguard is a neutral Unit (neutral units have the 3-lined gray thing in the upper right corner and aligned units do not)

I know they are neutral. And there is also nothing indicating we are not getting 2 Imperial Navy objective sets. The sets that we don't get to see much of are all educated guesswork. As it is two of the OSets will be limit one per deck in the Assault Force Pack so the Snowtrooper Vanguard might come in that and it might be DS neutral. Same problem with Echo Control Center, it could be in the unknown Rebels OSet or the Smugglers Set or a LS neutral set.

ziggy2000 said:

Toqtamish said:

Can't be 54 as Jedi is 53 and Smugglers if there is no Rebels has to be 54. If there is a Rebels OSet unseen at this time it would be 54.

So let us assume for now it is 58, if that is the case it is the last OSet in this pack, meaning the Scum OSet alluded to in the article that comes with Black Sun mercenaries would have to be 57 and 58 since it comes after Scum would have to be DS neutral. So assuming that the pack could look like this.

53 - Jedi

54 - Smugglers

55 - LS Neutral

56 - Imperial Navy

57 - Scum

58 - DS neutral

Still unclear as to which ones would be the limit one per deck sets, all we know for sure is it is not the Jedi or Navy, I cannot see them limiting Smugglers or Scum already where those factions are still building up so it is most likely the two neutral sets.

Toqtamish said:

ziggy2000 said:

Toqtamish said:

Can't be 54 as Jedi is 53 and Smugglers if there is no Rebels has to be 54. If there is a Rebels OSet unseen at this time it would be 54.

So let us assume for now it is 58, if that is the case it is the last OSet in this pack, meaning the Scum OSet alluded to in the article that comes with Black Sun mercenaries would have to be 57 and 58 since it comes after Scum would have to be DS neutral. So assuming that the pack could look like this.

53 - Jedi

54 - Smugglers

55 - LS Neutral

56 - Imperial Navy

57 - Scum

58 - DS neutral

Still unclear as to which ones would be the limit one per deck sets, all we know for sure is it is not the Jedi or Navy, I cannot see them limiting Smugglers or Scum already where those factions are still building up so it is most likely the two neutral sets.

I went with 58 in my card list. It could be 56 though, as some of the other Imperial objectives do include neutral stormtroopers.

Holliday88 said:

I went with 58 in my card list. It could be 56 though, as some of the other Imperial objectives do include neutral stormtroopers.

No it cannot be 56. That is the General's set. 

Toqtamish said:

Holliday88 said:

No it cannot be 56. That is the General's set. 

Derp, you're right. Do you have a list of the numbered sets so far? Including the ones that are speculated? I can add them to my list.

Holliday88 said:

Derp, you're right. Do you have a list of the numbered sets so far? Including the ones that are speculated? I can add them to my list.

Page one, first post. I am keeping it up to date with what we know so far. A lot of holes till previews start closer to release of pack 1 in March. 

Toqtamish said:

Pack one The Desolation of Hoth is now listed as "on the boat" on the Upcoming page.

Yep.  They also have the first 4 packs with target months listed now (March, April, May, June).

dbmeboy said:

Toqtamish said:

Pack one The Desolation of Hoth is now listed as "on the boat" on the Upcoming page.

Yep.  They also have the first 4 packs with target months listed now (March, April, May, June).

Yeah they added those on the 4th. Good to see some dates. I suspect Desolation will be early in March where it is already on the boat, course that also depends on where on the planet you live.

Does FFG usually release stuff on a specific day or is it pretty random? For example, WOTC releases Magic the gathering sets on a Friday.