Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toqtamish

The Hoth Cycle - What We Know So Far

121 posts in this topic

So I notice that there is a new set being released. I just found the base set finally for sale. Is there only one expansion, or did I miss the first two?

MasterJediAdam said:

So I notice that there is a new set being released. I just found the base set finally for sale. Is there only one expansion, or did I miss the first two?

First Force Pack, Desolation of Hoth, will be released in February. 

Toqtamish said:

MasterJediAdam said:

I actually find a February release unlikely as it is still listed as "In Development" and it would most likely need to already be "On The Boat" by now in order to pull of a February release.

FFG previewed it in November and they almost always do previews 3 months in advance, usually with major releases there is a one month break before cycle starts, numerous online retailers point to February as do distributor solicitation magazines like Game Trade Magazine. So for now barring any delays go with February.  

You're quite a bit more optimistic than I am if you think they can finish development, do all of the printing, ship it to their warehouse in MN, and then ship it from MN to the retailers in the next 6 weeks.  I hope you're right, but the shipment from the printers to them can take 6 weeks by itself…

I've been collecting FFG stuff for years. The Upcoming Page status is not always accurate. 

However another way to look at it is according to upcoming page pack 1 is Q1, pack 2 is Q1 and pack 3 is Q3. Only way for that to work is Feb, Mar, Apr. 

Now if there is a printing delay this is all subject to change.  

Toqtamish said:

MasterJediAdam said:

So what is the deal with this page - is it an error?

link

The page has prices, with "A Dark Time" saying it can be bought now, with the others not available.

MasterJediAdam said:

So what is the deal with this page - is it an error?

link

The page has prices, with "A Dark Time" saying it can be bought now, with the others not available.

Lol, yes that is an error. A funny one too since A Dark Time is the third pack. I'll report that one to the webmaster.

Thanks. I am super excited to get my stuff in the mail this weekend, but wanted to get caught up with all the gear I needed.

Also, I know it is off topic, but is it a good idea to purchase 2x of these packs. I don't have experience with fixed pack games, so I am a little unsure.

MasterJediAdam said:

Thanks. I am super excited to get my stuff in the mail this weekend, but wanted to get caught up with all the gear I needed.

Also, I know it is off topic, but is it a good idea to purchase 2x of these packs. I don't have experience with fixed pack games, so I am a little unsure.

Force Packs come with two of each objective set unless it says Limit of 1 in which case you get one. So you will never need more than one pack unless you want to use the same sets in multiple decks at the same time.

MasterJediAdam said:

Your going to love this game Adam. It's a great change of pace from swccg.

Yes you only need to buy one of each Force pack. Would you guys be upset if they call the future prequel packs "Midiclorian Packs"?

cooleo1c said:

MasterJediAdam said:

Your going to love this game Adam. It's a great change of pace from swccg.

Yes you only need to buy one of each Force pack. Would you guys be upset if they call the future prequel packs "Midiclorian Packs"?

I am excited. My stuff comes in the mail soon. I am planning on coming your way later on this year; so I fully expect a tour of the gaming center and some time to play a few rounds. Beside you and Jeeps, any other locals I know playing?

Toqtamish said:

TGO said:

They just Rick rolled everybody. Classic.

Stupid waste of time you mean.

Toq don't joke!

To add, I'm really interested in this cycle. The Hoth expansion for SWCCG was one of my favorites. Target the main generators!!

videinfra said:

How do you guys feel about Vader only having 3 damage icons, one even being edge? His ability must be powerful.

His ability gives his 4th icon back to him and the rest of the attacking units.

Which is why I don't understand why eveyone seems to think it's Unit Damage.  It seems more logical to me that it would be Blast Damage restoring the same 4 icons that the Sith Vader has.

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

videinfra said:

How do you guys feel about Vader only having 3 damage icons, one even being edge? His ability must be powerful.

His ability gives his 4th icon back to him and the rest of the attacking units.

Which is why I don't understand why eveyone seems to think it's Unit Damage.  It seems more logical to me that it would be Blast Damage restoring the same 4 icons that the Sith Vader has.

Well, he was leading troops on the ground on Hoth, so it makes a bit of sense that he'd assist in doing unit damage in this instance.

DailyRich said:

Well, he was leading troops on the ground on Hoth, so it makes a bit of sense that he'd assist in doing unit damage in this instance.

Yes but the goal was the takeover of the base (objective) and capture of forces (units), not wanton destruction of said forces.

Considering that he has to be attacking I'm hoping that it is objective damage.  If it was defending I would love unit damage.

That's actually a good point. And blast damage isn't as powerful in a DS deck as a LS one since you have to destroy 8 objectives rather than just 3.

Xenu's Paradox said:

That's actually a good point. And blast damage isn't as powerful in a DS deck as a LS one since you have to destroy 8 objectives rather than just 3.

If you were getting to 8 objectives destroyed before winning, you missed something.  By the 4th objective you should have the dial at 11 (4 + 3 + 2 + 1 for objectives, 1 for your first turn), and that's if you destroy 4 objectives on your first turn… when you can't attack.  Sure, Decoy at Dantooine can help a little, but I doubt you'd get quite that much.

I went through all the scanerios.  With a combination of "Decoy at Dantoine" and "False Lead" the current worse case scenario is 6 objectives.  DS cannont fail to win if it destroys 6 objectives, and that takes some very suboptimal play to stretch it that far.

I suspect he missed the part where the dial increases by 1 for each objective in the victory pile, and is just increasing by 1 each time an objective is destroyed.