Sign in to follow this  
Schroinger

How about playing to 6 or 7 plus a jump? Any other ways to balance the game?

Our group thinks that Battlestar Galactica is a very nice game. However, we feel that it is so hard for the humans to win, at least in the first plays.

The official variant to balance the game sugests that two points of every resource are added to the dials at the beginning. That of course may balance the situation, but will add for sure more lenght, and we believe that Battlestar Galactica don't need any more game time to be fun. In fact, lwe believe that  longer games could become tedious and repetitive, so it is better to keep the original time frame or even get shorter in time.

So, how about cutting the game to a 6 or 7 distance points and a jump? Has someone tried it? Any other ways to balance the game without adding more lenght?

7 distance doesn't strike me as being any harder to obtain than 8. I think the average number of jumps in a game is 5, so getting to seven will take about the same length as getting to 8. Dropping to six can make the game too short -- there are a few 3 distance cards, so it could be possible for the humans to win in only three jumps. If the jumps are taking too long, try using the Launch Scouts to bury any 1-distance cards from the top of the destination deck. Perhaps your Admirals have a tendency to be cylons, and that's why the jumps are taking so long. Frakking toasters!

Generally, the longer the game last the greater the chances the cylons will win. So doing things that allow for farther distance in jumps can only help the humans out. Of course, the hidden cylons can also be burying the 3 distance jumps as well, so there is that trade off.

Our group has never worried about game length (average 2 hours, all games less than 3) or the fact that humans win less often than the cylons. That is definitely part of the appeal to me. I know I;m not really offering a play change solution, but thought I'd at least share the thoughts.

Schroinger said:

Our group thinks that Battlestar Galactica is a very nice game. However, we feel that it is so hard for the humans to win, at least in the first plays.

The official variant to balance the game sugests that two points of every resource are added to the dials at the beginning. That of course may balance the situation, but will add for sure more lenght, and we believe that Battlestar Galactica don't need any more game time to be fun. In fact, lwe believe that  longer games could become tedious and repetitive, so it is better to keep the original time frame or even get shorter in time.

So, how about cutting the game to a 6 or 7 distance points and a jump? Has someone tried it? Any other ways to balance the game without adding more lenght?

Must depend on the group and how you play. My group feels that it isn't hard for humans to win .. and we've had 3 out of 4 human victories (though close)

Cutting the distance to 6 or 7 isn't the answer. Then you have balance issues with the Cylons. What if no cylons are known before the sleeper agent phase? Then the players who get the cylon card(s) at the sleeper agent phase of 4 don't have as much time to turn the tide. Same with the sympathizer (if there is one). Maybe if you changed the sleeper agent phase to distance 3 then ...

It really all depends on the choices your Admiral can (or chooses) to take. You make get lucky and get a few 2 or 3's and jump fast. You may get unlucky and get a bunch of 1 distance jumps.

The key for the humans to win, we feel, is NOT be that paranoid .. infighting does nothing buy letting cylon's win. Even though it may seem good to do, but wasting skill cards on taking the presidency or throwing people in the brig (if you aren't 100% sure) just gives you less chance to pass the critical crises.  Also making the right choices .. just letting the right things fail (you can usually take morale and food hits easier than fuel or pop) and saving cards for later.

I've also found it key to purposely let one resource to fall to half to prevent a Sympathizer. It is so important that I have made votes fail even though I was a human at the time.

But let's face it . .I think the game is pretty balanced and it can sometimes simply come down to luck.

I've had games where the cylons win if a roll damages Galatica and the humans got lucky and rolled a 2.

I've had games where the humans couldn't roll a 7-8 and a centurion marched through unharmed for turns to win the game for the cylons.

I've had games where not many cylon attack cards come up and rash of FTL jump cards come up giving the humans an easy coast to victory.

I've had the reverse happen where several cylon attack cards come up in the first time round the table and really destroy the humans early on.

As for the length of the game .. through more plays the game should speed up .. people should be able to pound through their turn there isn't THAT many decisions to make on any given player's turn.

Only going to distance 6 is going to be a problem occasionally.  You could have games with only 1 cylon turn!  You jump from 3 to 6, then the sleeper agent phase activates, where the cylon cards get dealt out.  If you do well on the jump icons you could jump very quickly after that and the game is over.

I'm going to keep looking on the forums but has anyone actually tried the official rules variant to help the humans? (the Adding two to every resource.)

You said that that would make the game longer and I disagree, sort of. 

It only makes the game longer because the humans don't loose as quickly. In most of my games the humans loose with only 1 or 2 jumps away from victory. So if the additional resources allows them to go those few more turns, then thats not adding much more time to the game. 

Personally I'm going to Add just one to all of the human resources and see how that plans out. 

Do you do what it says and low the resources of the humans when you use that rule? Or do you just not use a sympathizer.

Rules are found on the main website faq/downloads page.