Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
divinityofnumber

Minneapolis, MN

802 posts in this topic

4 People for the Peter Jacobson Going Away Tournament.  Actually we had a 5th, but given the odd number Shad decided to watch games instead and leave after the first round.  While waiting for one table to finish we snuck in a few games.  We did a round robin and Ethan went undefeated.

1st (Ethan)

Affiliation: Smuggler

Questionable Contacts x2

Against All Odds x1

Along the Gamor Run x1

May the Force Be With You x2

Running the Canyon x2

Secret of Yavin IV x1

Matter Under Mind x1

Affiliation: Navy

Tarkin Doctrine x2

Might of the Empire x2

Endor Entrapment x2

Technological Terror x2

Entrenched Defenses x1

Moon Blockade x1

2nd (Grahame)

Affiliation: Guardians of Justice

Spark of Rebellion x2

Sacrifice at Endor x2

Haunting the Empire x2

Behind Enemy Lines x2

Pushing Back the Empire x1

Explosives Artist x1

Tarkin Doctrine x2

Might of the Empire x2

Endor Entrapment x2

Immeasurable Power x2

Protect the Generator x2

I played the decks I had mentioned in the FFG articles

Affiliation: Mercenary Contacts

Asteroid Base x2

Last Warrior x2

Spirit of Rebellion x2

Pushing Back the Empire x2

Haunting the Empire x2

Mission to Talay x2

Affiliation: Promise of Power

Droid’s Task x2

Nar Shadaa Drift x2

Droid Droid Revolution x1

Rogue Archeology x2

Emperor’s Shadow x2

Emperor’s Web x1

Random Thoughts on my decks…

Pushing Back the Empire is a nice accelerant.  Would be better with more cheap rebel units.  Looking at you Dodonna…

Converting two Rebel for Hires into two Allies of Necessity from Cassians pod is kinda funny.  I got Kyle up to 4 guns.

Crafty Smugglers are too crafty for me.  I forgot to trigger his reaction like 5 times in a row.

Reserve 7 is nice but still can still struggle against Gladiators.

Everything dies to Assault Teams :-(

Rogue Archeology triggers almost every turn.

Card Draw with the Shuttle objective is good.

Playing Commando Droids to block unopposed and do 1 gun is…sometimes what you have to do.

Playing nothing but Derpa Droids and Shuttle Pilots is sad

Finally drawing Aphra when you have Iggy-Prime and the Emperor’s Favor in discard and double black market exchange on the table is elating.

Having Brainiac modify Iggy-Prime’s text so that he doesn’t gain his gun and black tactics if LS controls 2 or more units committed to the force is a pro-play.

Promise of Power to remove extra focus makes it very hard to lock down the key players on a DS board.

Derpa Droids are at their best when LS forgets that they have text.

I also got a bunch of side games in with with the trooper deck I also outlined.

Immeasurable Power x2

Protect the Generator x2

Emperor’s Legion x2

Last Grand Admiral x1

Pattern Analysis x1

Sabotage in the Snow x1

Corporate Exploitation x1

This deck was actually the most promising of the decks I played today.

If you have Immeasurable Power out you can get a lot of free units between converting espo troopers into Death Troopers and flooding the board with Scout Troopers.  God forbid you have 2 Immeasurable Powers out.

This deck does a terrible job defending and winning edge battles

This deck does a pretty awesome job of counter attacking and taking enemy objectives.

Prepared Ambush is an awesome mission and makes running x1 Thrawn and Kallus completely viable.

Using Sabotage in the Snow to steal their shield while you have double Forward Command Post is funny.

While it’s hard to win edge battles or hold the force if you trigger enough reactions for free units you can come within range of taking 4 objectives in one turn.

Renz always discards the best cards :-(

Play of the Day goes to…Ethan

Playing Swindled on one of my troopers and triggering Skyhopper to do just enough to take out both of my Emperor’s Legions for game.

Posted (edited)

6 people today for our Store Championship at Universe Games in Uptown.  Following the guidelines the organizer had us do 3 rounds with no cut.  I strongly feel that this games needs some kind of cut given that so many matches can end in splits.  Today was a particularly interesting example of what can happen.  5 of the players have all made the top cut at worlds during various years.  The 6th player is relatively new.  Today it happened that all games played between veteran players ended in a split (fairly evenly between DS and LS too).  The newer player forced his first two opponents to time—not completely his fault.  Shad was playing a stupid Coruscant Defense Fleet deck and despite holding the force the whole game and building a giant Spark board he just couldn’t get through.  So after the 2nd round 2 players were on 7 points, 3 players on 6 and one player on 2.  The two players on 7 were assigned to play against each other already, and since I had already played both other players on 6 I got paired down against the player on 2.  So this tournament was really up in the air the final.  The veteran players split and I swept to win the tournament.  But who knows what would have happened if there was any kind of cut.  or even a top 2.

Interesting enough had the other players games against the newer player not gone to time there would have been 3 players tied on 12 points.  I would have lost on SoS, but the other two players would have had a true tie.  So what should happen there when assigning a unique prize such as the Regional Bye?

None of this of course would be an issue if we could get to 9 people and have a cut to top 4, but attendance is down and in a game such as SW or Netrunner where you play a match this can definitely occur and it feels very weird when it does.

Regardless of all that, it was a very fun afternoon and we all enjoyed playing the new cards.

1st (me)

Affiliation: No Questions Asked

Hero’s Journey x1

Watchers in the Wasteland x1

Secret of Yavin IV x1

Asteroid Sanctuary x2

Along the Gamor Run x1

Spirit of Rebellion x1

Renegade Squadron Mobilization x1

Affiliation: Promise of Power

Behind the Black Sun x2

Spice Trade x1

Out of the Mists x1

Droid Droid Revolution x1

Emperor’s Web x2

Rogue Archeology x2

Plan of the Prophetess x1

2nd? (Tyler)

Affiliation: Guardians of Justice

Heroes and Legends x2

Hero’s Journey x2

Secret of Yavin IV x2

Planning the Attack x2

Haunting the Empire x2

Commando Raid x1

Forward Reconnaissance x1

Affiliation: Imperial Contractors

Masterful Manipulation x2

Hunter’s Flight x2

Hutt’s Menagerie x1

Grand Heist x1

Empire’s Elite x2

Enforced Loyalty x2

Cloud Cover x1

Defense Protocol x1

2nd?? (Shad)

Affiliation: Mercenary Contacts

Asteroid Sanctuary x2

Spirit of Rebellion x2

Last Warrior x2

Pushing Back the Empire x2

Haunting the Empire x2

Behind Enemy Lines x2

Affiliation: Galactic Enforcers

Heart of the Empire x2

Emperor’s Cabal x2

Emperor’s Shadow x2

Last Grand Admiral x2

Might of the Empire x2

Entrenched Defenses x1

Sabotage in the Snow x1

The other decks consisted of 2 skyhopper decks, 2 Navy decks, 1 mono sith deck and my ewok spark deck.  Kudos to Tyler and Shad for being the only 2 players not playing May the Force.  Double kudos to Shad for bringing a seriously cool DS deck to the tournament and going undefeated with it.

Random Thoughts on my Decks…

I wanted to try a 5/5 build with Jyn and Ahsoka.  After a few test games I concluded while I liked both sets I wanted more tactics in the deck so I cut 1 Jyn for Renegade Squadron.  I was never happy with the crafty smuggler—still too smart for me!—and the 2nd Jyn was just an edge card.  Renegade Squadron gave me another 5 drop with 2 tactics and Echo Caverns can also provide tactics.  Just better…  After a few more draws I still wasn’t happy with the tactics so Ahsoka sadly got cut for Watchers Obi-Wan.   More tactics and the cuteness of looping the Informant for edge with the Marauder was replaced with the efficiency of the Wolfmen.  Plus they love some Friendship is Magic…

The 2 resource affiliation card was the least exciting card effect when I looked through the pack so I wanted to force myself to try something with it.  It can provide for some very explosive turns.  turn 1 Falcon is always available—or Obi or Renegade Squadron, but even better is with the glut of resources from the Falcon pod and Deneba you can frequently play turn 2 Falcon + Bamboozle, or late game just drop Falcon and Jyn and then Falcon out for a Luke.

Well Laid Ambush is pretty darn good turn 1.  The resource affiliation card helps with this.

Lightsaber Deflection.  How did I spend so much time playing without you?!

Same for guardians…

Jamming Protocol: not a bad card.  sucks when it completely ruins your combat math.

Echo Caverns wins games.

Promise of Power untap effect is pretty darn good with spiders.

Moruth Doole has an obscene ability

Guri and Threat Removal are backbreaking cards.  Tom was on to something…

Pairing Guri with the black tactics from Palpatine, Aphra, Sariss and Moruth Doole is nice

This deck has great combat tricks, but sometimes all it draws are its combat tricks and its hands can get gummed up if LS doesn’t attack.

Freelance Assassins can do work!

Droid Commandos prevent unopposed!  And sometimes kill things!

Deck needs some way to kill Guri once she gets out on the board.

Aphra likes Knives.

Play of the Day Goes to….  THREE WAY TIE!!  (similar to the actual tournament…)

Me:  Against a Skyhopper deck with Yoda and 3PO available, and focused guardian at 1 health, I attacked, focused Yoda with Doole, targeted struck 3PO with the Freelance Assassin, Force Lightninged Yoda, and choked the guardian.  Next turn Palpatine…

Tyler:  Niles Ferrier—evidently Niles Ferrier was in the top?!—blocked a horde with his swarm of TIE Fighters.  Had lousy edge.  only 2 cards.  But they were both Princes Schemes.  Ouch.

Shad:  This one is more a long play of what his DS deck was set up to do.  Shad gets out double Defense Fleet with only Coruscant objectives on the table.  LS is doing work holding the force and building a board, but doesn’t want to attack into an 8 card edge hand every turn.  Gets one Defense Fleet to 4 damage.  Shad Fleet Repairs it.  LS starts over again.  Shad triggers the Sim Aloo pod to shuffle Fleet Repair back into his deck and once the Defense Fleet gets to 4 damage he repairs it again.  LS game is dragging.  Shad shuffles There is No Escape back into his deck.  After 10 turns the dial clicks to 11.  Shad plays goes to the force phase plays There is No Escape to get the nudj off the table and move the dial to 12.  That game took 68 minutes.

Thanks for everyone who showed up it was an afternoon of incredible games.

Edited by MacRauri