Sign in to follow this  
shadow9d9

CCG cards worth it for LCG gaming?

I have the core set of LCG and was wondering whether getting CCG version cards in bulk cheaply would be worth it or do the new living card packs offer much better cards that take more advantage of the LCG format?

I know the card borders are different, but getting say, 2000 cards for 100 bucks or so would be cheaper than 100 for 500 or so LCG cards.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

there would not be anything wrong with it in terms of gameplay. a lot of the LCG cards work nicely with cards from 5 kings and Iron Throne.

The first question would be who do you play with? If who you play with is LCG only it would be very unfair (you'd have access to waaaaay more cards and depending on how far back into the CCG you go you'd have access to waaay stronger cards) if you provide all the cards for your playgroup then there would not be any issue.

The other question is do you plan on playing in any of the of supported formats? If you do you will be disadvantaging yourself in both. You will be disadvantaging yourself in LCG because you will be starting to use and relyon things that are not found or cannot be duplicated in the LCG (paper shield, outfox, gj in house locations, etc.) and will be forcing yourself to learn the game two different ways instead of learning it once right now. You will be disadvatanging yourself in legacy becuase you will not have access to allthe cards that people who have been playing for a long time and know those cards inatly (this is a problem i have having stared the game only a few sets ago and i avoid legacy or play GJ and play as i would from ITE on but supplament with older cards, and have to borrow said cards).

so bottom line is it isa personal choice that i don't think anyone on here can answer for you, but again in terms of gameplay issues, there really won't be any except against people weithout access to the same cards.

I'll just be playing with my wife.

I figure we could enjoy the game with 2000 cards for now, and in the future, add to our collection through LCG sales or ebay sales of LCG.

The things that cannot be duplicated in LCG, what are those things exactly and why do you think LCG versions of them will not come out?

We could always get one of each LCG pack, but the problem is that the 10 cardsx3 is great, but the 10 x1 cards may be great and force us to spend even more money... Do you find this to be the case- that the 10 single cards are often good enough to need multiple of the same packs?

Do you happen to know if the 10x1 cards in the packs are former rares?

Including shipping, the 2200 cards would be 130 for me to purchase... They are normal rarity distribution... Still undecided on whether this makes more sense than getting 1 of each LCG pack at $7 each which would give me 720 LCG cards with 3x 180 cards and 1x180 distribution,

shadow9d9 said:

I'll just be playing with my wife.

I figure we could enjoy the game with 2000 cards for now, and in the future, add to our collection through LCG sales or ebay sales of LCG.

I'd agree. If it's primarily you and your wife, or the occasional game night with friends, then yeah, a whole mess of CCG-era cards will be just fine and carry your interest for a good stretch of time.

shadow9d9 said:

The things that cannot be duplicated in LCG, what are those things exactly and why do you think LCG versions of them will not come out?

The big cards that cannot be duplicated in LCG that feel like they're missing from the LCG are: 1) plots with the traits "Military Battle," "Intrigue Gambit" and "Power Struggle." 2) Characters with the King or Queen trait for all the Houses. 3) Locations with the Kingdom trait. and 4) Basic resources and reducers (and the big name characters from the book) for the characters in the Houses Greyjoy and Martell. Many would also prefer a wider selection of plot cards. All of that could be picked up with a bunch of "uncommon" cards from the Five Kings Edition.

The big "mechanic holes" that cannot be duplicated in LCG that feel like they're missing for people who transitioned from playing the CCG are 1) card draw effects, 2) cancel effects, 3) location control. Common and uncommon cards from the Five Kings Edition and Iron Throne Edition will provide a lot of that, too.

Those are the recent sets. But you can get stuff from any set, really, to fill these "holes."

Chances are, all of this will come out in LCG cards sooner or later.

shadow9d9 said:

Do you find this to be the case- that the 10 single cards are often good enough to need multiple of the same packs?

Some yes, some no. Depending on the House you want to play, and your play style, there are certainly packs that you don't need to buy 3 of.

shadow9d9 said:

Do you happen to know if the 10x1 cards in the packs are former rares?

It's not comparable because the Chapter Packs are brand new cards, not reprints out of the CCG era. The Core Set was predominantly reprints and modified reprints of CCG cards, but the Chapter Packs are all "never before seen." (So far, anyway.)

shadow9d9 said:

Including shipping, the 2200 cards would be 130 for me to purchase... They are normal rarity distribution... Still undecided on whether this makes more sense than getting 1 of each LCG pack at $7 each which would give me 720 LCG cards with 3x 180 cards and 1x180 distribution,

If you are not looking to play competitively anytime soon and are likely to just be playing with your wife and other friends who are all using your cards, it probably makes more sense to get the 2200 cards - depending on which CCG sets they're from. You will like the integration with your Core Set best if they come from the ITE (Iron Throne Edition), HoTh (A House of Thorns), HoTal (A House of Talons) and 5KE (Five Kings Edition). Those are the most recent sets. Any sets will work, really, but those will probably fit in the best and the easiest. If they are from other sets, you might prefer Chapter Packs as being more representative of where the game kind of "grew" to with the Core Set.

Just my 2 cents.

I had the same question as you had. Bought the LCG core set then Chapter Packs both new and old. But a lot was missing. I was especially sad not being able to play any Martell and Greyjoy decks.

Then I decided to buy a wholesale buy which included ITE 5K, House of Talons and House of Thorns set., with many rare. I had not regret it since. You get many more options and I consistenly changed the original LCG Core set decks too, even key characters (for instance I changed the Core Cersei card which is terribly weak with the ITE Cersei, a real booster for the Lannister, same with Grey Wind. etc.)

Again, it depends if you are gonna play with friends or your wife. I play mainly with my friends and provide them with all the decks. So far it has been fun.