Sign in to follow this  
Necronis

Return of the Laser Grenadiers

With the Hades bookm I now have a reason to field the coolest and most useless Axis models I have. I was wondering if anyone else was going to run them with grenades instead of the visible laser upgrade?

Their lack of dice/ firepower was the reason I shelved them and 5 more attacks that ignore cover and automaticly suppress seem to make them a lot more playable. I'm already 12" close so the grenade 6" range shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone else making the Grenadiers with lasers?

Interesting take on them. I saw them as a great S3 killer with HVL and/or with Angela. But the grenade angle seems doable too. Either way, I think they are likely a defensive or retaliation unit given their short range. Seems like Laser Grenadiers are finally not a liability.

Before Hades I had good results by pairing a squad of Laser Grenadiers with Stefan or Manfred. 

If I have initiative I will blitzkrieg the unit in Command phase, then assault to close range and wait for their reaction to come up in my opponents Unit phase. 

Putting a hero and a bunch of lasers within striking distance of a walker is a guaranteed way to scare your opponent.

With me all the game mechanics failed the Laser Grenadiers when paired up against units that threw 2-3 times more dice at their short range.

And since several of those dice (grenades, 2 shot UGL's) ignored cover, my favorite looking forces were unable to survive. I'll be trying out my new options this weekend.