Sign in to follow this  
Hordok

Turament Help

My local gaming shop is hoilding a turnament next month. I want to get as close to 100 Points as possible. I need a little help building my squad. So for I have the following.

Luke Skywalker (28 points)

equiped with: 

R2-D2 (4 points)

Skill:

Markmanship (3 points)

Wedge Antilles (29 points)

Equipped with:

R5-D8 (3 points)

Skill:

Expert Handling (2 points)

With these I have 69 points. Who should I give Proton Torpedoes to and who should I use a s my third pilot? Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Hordok said:

My local gaming shop is hoilding a turnament next month. I want to get as close to 100 Points as possible. I need a little help building my squad. So for I have the following.

equiped with: 

R2-D2 (4 points)

Skill:

Markmanship (3 points)

Equipped with:

R5-D8 (3 points)

Skill:

With these I have 69 points. Who should I give Proton Torpedoes to and who should I use a s my third pilot? Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Luke doesn't need R2-D2. Wedge shouldn't use R5-D8. Marksmaship sucks. Proton Torpedoes suck and should only be used as filler to reach 100pts. Using only 3 pilots is generally a terrible idea if you have no idea what you are doing.

Make your own list.

Wow…a little harsh there ShadowJak.sonreir..but good points. If you dig a little deeper into the forums you will find info on just about any 3 or 4 ship rebel builds worth building. With that said here is a 3 ship build that I've used to good affect:

• Luke w/R2 and Swarm Tactics
  • Wedge w/R2, 1 Torp and Expert Handling
  • Dutch w/R5, 1 Torp and Ion Cannon

A 4 ship rebel build is a better option in the current tournament environment. The release of the A-wing will make it easier but this is a good starting point:

• Wedge w/R5 and Swarm Tactics
  • Rookie X-wing w/R2
  • Rookie X-wing w/R2
  • Gold Sqd. W/ R5 and Ion Cannon

Hope this helps

Hordok said:

equiped with: 

R2-D2 (4 points)

Skill:

Markmanship (3 points)

Equipped with:

R5-D8 (3 points)

Skill:

Thanks.

Hordok said:

equiped with: 

R2-D2 (4 points)

Skill:

Markmanship (3 points)

Equipped with:

R5-D8 (3 points)

Skill:

Thanks.

it really depends what upgrades and ships you have access to. also it depends on your experience playing x-wing. since u r posting asking for tips on building im guessing u r fairly new to the game?

id go with something like:

Wedge + r2d2 + swarm tactics as ur team leader

if u have extra x-wings id play at least 2 more (rookie pilts at 21pts each r good) and maybe a cheap y-wing with ion cannon.

I personally dont like playing Luke and Wedge in the same team because they use up too may points (if u do id suggest adding a y-wing as ur 3rd ship)

it is true that proton torpedoes r rather expensive for a one shot ability, if u just use target lock at every opportunity and fire with ur primary weapon you should be fine, rerolling any number of dice is very good. so u go: move and target lock (action), fire (reroll any dice u want to). its simple but effective. try it.

wave2 has bought in lots of really powerful pilot skill upgrades. stealth device, push the limit, draw their fire etc

so depending on what ships and upgrades u have you might go with wedge + 3 rookie pilots, wedge + luke + y-wing

BigDogg said:

Wow…a little harsh there ShadowJak.sonreir..but good points. If you dig a little deeper into the forums you will find info on just about any 3 or 4 ship rebel builds worth building. With that said here is a 3 ship build that I've used to good affect:

• Luke w/R2 and Swarm Tactics
  • Wedge w/R2, 1 Torp and Expert Handling
  • Dutch w/R5, 1 Torp and Ion Cannon

A 4 ship rebel build is a better option in the current tournament environment. The release of the A-wing will make it easier but this is a good starting point:

• Wedge w/R5 and Swarm Tactics
  • Rookie X-wing w/R2
  • Rookie X-wing w/R2
  • Gold Sqd. W/ R5 and Ion Cannon

Hope this helps

i really like u 4 ship build :) if u dont have the y-win u could also just go with a Red Squadron Pilot (i ran this in my Kessel Run event and went 3-1 placing 3rd)

Hordok said:

equiped with: 

R2-D2 (4 points)

Skill:

Markmanship (3 points)

Equipped with:

R5-D8 (3 points)

Skill:

Thanks.

If you have two more X-Wing models, I'd suggest you roll a 4 X-Wing build. I think they're easier for new players to use effectively than the 3 X-Wing + 1 Y-Wing build, and much more forgiving than the three ship builds out there that require you to be able to move competently as a formation to receive all the benefits. 

As some of the other folks mentioned, you've got some upgrades that kind of aren't that optimal. Luke with R2 is overkill, defensively. Marksmanship tends to work more efficiently for the points with Imperials (especially Vader), ShadowJak has shown statisically that proton torpedoes simply aren't worth the high points cost, and most folks see the R5 droids as custom made for Y-Wings. With a relatively limited amount of options for wargear, these kinds of decisions can be fairly significant. Of course, it depends on what cards you have available to you too, but some cards seem to work better with certain pilots. 

The main thing I'd suggest to you as a new player participating in a tournament is play it safe. Make safe maneuvers that keep you away from asteroids and your own ships as collisions cause you to lose your actions. A lot of folks new to this game lose to themselves rather than their opponents, (me included!) so make your opponent actually beat you! Don't screw yourself out of actions or take uneccesary hits driving over asteroids. 

Also, if at all possible, get some more games in before your tournament. Manuevring is the most important skill to posses in this game, if you ask me- much more than optimal list building. A missed action from a silly movement manuever mistake will likely be more significant in the game than whether or not you took R2-D2, R2-F2, a generic R2, or no 'mech at all on Luke. If you can get yourself to where you can move around objects and ships, you've got half the game won right there. 

Good luck!

The_Brown_Bomber said:

Hordok said:

equiped with: 

R2-D2 (4 points)

Skill:

Markmanship (3 points)

Equipped with:

R5-D8 (3 points)

Skill:

Thanks.

it really depends what upgrades and ships you have access to. also it depends on your experience playing x-wing. since u r posting asking for tips on building im guessing u r fairly new to the game?

id go with something like:

Wedge + r2d2 + swarm tactics as ur team leader…

@Hordok: Listen to Shadowjak, and remember that in tournament play, 4-ship lists for Rebels are much, much more consistent than 3-ship lists. Also, be aware that, mathematically, the most frequent result for Proton Torpedoes is 0 damage.

@Brown Bomber: R2-D2 on Wedge is probably a bad idea. A smart opponent will always focus fire on Wedge, and R2-D2 is at his worst when confronting focus fire.

Brown Bomber, I am new to x wing. My record as it stands is 1-1. This is my first turnament that I have ever gone too. I see you point when it comes the Proton Torpedoes. CID_MCDP, I have 3 x-wings, and 1 y- wing for the Rebals. I am going to get another x-wing. Thank you everyone's advice. 

Vorpal Sword said:

@Brown Bomber: R2-D2 on Wedge is probably a bad idea. A smart opponent will always focus fire on Wedge, and R2-D2 is at his worst when confronting focus fire.

as for r2d2 vs r2 astromech, it really depends how you use wedge and what matchups u face. 

i went with r2 astromech at my local kessel run event going 3-1 (beating one 3 ship rebel sqd, two 6 ships imperial builds and losing to one 6 ship imperial build. most of the time wished it was r2d2 instead. id say that r2d2 is the safest choice as u dont burn and action to use it and it should keep wedge in the air longer if you play smart and dont engage multiple enemies at once. sure, wedge will be their main target for focus fire, so be ready to adapt to what formation they throw at you and lead with ur other ships. in my 4 X-wing build i used one and often two rookie pilots a as wingmen for wedge and sent the single Red Qd Pilot ahead to draw their first wave of attacks. this game is about out thinking and out manouvring your opponent.

my point is HOW you use ur upgrades and what tactics you use is as important as WHAT those upgrades are.

The_Brown_Bomber said:

Vorpal Sword said:

as for r2d2 vs r2f2 [edit], it really depends how you use wedge and what matchups u face. 

i went with r2 astromech at my local kessel run event going 3-1 (beating one 3 ship rebel sqd, two 6 ships imperial builds and losing to one 6 ship imperial build. most of the time wished it was r2d2 instead. id say that r2d2 is the safest choice as u dont burn and action to use it and it should keep wedge in the air longer if you play smart and dont engage multiple enemies at once. sure, wedge will be their main target for focus fire, so be ready to adapt to what formation they throw at you and lead with ur other ships. in my 4 X-wing build i used one and often two rookie pilots a as wingmen for wedge and sent the single Red Qd Pilot ahead to draw their first wave of attacks. this game is about out thinking and out manouvring your opponent.

my point is HOW you use ur upgrades and what tactics you use is as important as WHAT those upgrades are.

edit made :)

Cid_MCDP said:

If you have two more X-Wing models, I'd suggest you roll a 4 X-Wing build. I think they're easier for new players to use effectively than the 3 X-Wing + 1 Y-Wing build, and much more forgiving than the three ship builds out there that require you to be able to move competently as a formation to receive all the benefits. 

As some of the other folks mentioned, you've got some upgrades that kind of aren't that optimal. Luke with R2 is overkill, defensively. Marksmanship tends to work more efficiently for the points with Imperials (especially Vader), ShadowJak has shown statisically that proton torpedoes simply aren't worth the high points cost, and most folks see the R5 droids as custom made for Y-Wings. With a relatively limited amount of options for wargear, these kinds of decisions can be fairly significant. Of course, it depends on what cards you have available to you too, but some cards seem to work better with certain pilots. 

The main thing I'd suggest to you as a new player participating in a tournament is play it safe. Make safe maneuvers that keep you away from asteroids and your own ships as collisions cause you to lose your actions. A lot of folks new to this game lose to themselves rather than their opponents, (me included!) so make your opponent actually beat you! Don't screw yourself out of actions or take uneccesary hits driving over asteroids. 

Also, if at all possible, get some more games in before your tournament. Manuevring is the most important skill to posses in this game, if you ask me- much more than optimal list building. A missed action from a silly movement manuever mistake will likely be more significant in the game than whether or not you took R2-D2, R2-F2, a generic R2, or no 'mech at all on Luke. If you can get yourself to where you can move around objects and ships, you've got half the game won right there. 

Good luck!

i totally agree! manouvring and clever tactics trumps upgrades most of the time.

I made third in both kessel runs I attended, and as boring as it sounds I used the same squad for both. It was Wedge with Swarm Tactics, Biggs, a Red Sq pilot, and a Rookie Pilot. I would normally have a o8o set up, with the attack force all in a line and Biggs behind Wedge in the center. Once the dogfight broke out, Wedge and Biggs would chase the highest priority targets and the others would play clean-up. The only time I didn't set up in the T was against an almost mirror (Garven and Luke with 2 rookiees), where I had to slant through an asteroid field before I could engage.

I came in first, fourth, and fifth in three different Kessel Runs with the following 3 pilot rebel list:

Luke- r2-d2, expert handeling

Wedge-r2, marksmanship, proton torp

Biggs- r2-f2

99 points

Just field what you like playing with and you'll have a good time.

Hank said:

I came in first, fourth, and fifth in three different Kessel Runs with the following 3 pilot rebel list:

Luke- r2-d2, expert handeling

Wedge-r2, marksmanship, proton torp

Biggs- r2-f2

99 points

Just field what you like playing with and you'll have a good time.

thats gr8 advice!

players underestimate play style and tactics imo. if u r playing something u r familiar with and enjoy you will likely have more fun and be more successful.

"@Brown Bomber: R2-D2 on Wedge is probably a bad idea. A smart opponent will always focus fire on Wedge, and R2-D2 is at his worst when confronting focus fire". this qoute doesnt take into account HOW you play and imo is ignoring the large impact tactics and strategy play in the game. Be flexible, have a plan but adapt to what ur opponent is doing, fly in formations which maximise ur ships synergy and how they complement eachother but most of all HAVE FUN!