Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
conykchameleon

An Unfortunately Critical Review of My Core Set Experience

42 posts in this topic

I think part of the problem might be people are viewing a unique characters defeat as their final death. However this game has no dead pile like in AGoT and can be played again when you draw another copy. So really their first "death" can be seen as more of a setback. 

Toqtamish said:

I think part of the problem might be people are viewing a unique characters defeat as their final death. However this game has no dead pile like in AGoT and can be played again when you draw another copy. So really their first "death" can be seen as more of a setback. 

I think this will change even more when we get the variations of characters in different objective sets. I could easily imagine decks based on a certain heroic character. With Luke present in 6/10 objective sets used for such a deck it would be nearly impossible to remove him from the game for good. The only good countermeasure for such decks would be the capture mechanic ;)

I see your point, but not always works. You're right by the way, but…

Who are you in AGoT LCG? A House? And for ME this is a GREAT game, feeling the flavour to kill characters, intrigue stealing cards, or taking inlfuence. But what this it means, a character dueling another one in a tournament? Do you know what i meant? There's is important to know who you are, but is just, an extra, not the whole point. And always is a player confronting another.

Here, is the LS confronting the DS, It's ok for me.

Also, returning to the first post, and if you have "magic" in mind…maybe vehicles like starships could be the equivalent of flying creatures, that can only be attacked by anothe flying creatures…is just an idea if you want to create your own rules. An X Wing can attack an stormtropper but not viceversa.

daedhel said:

Who are you in AGoT LCG? A House? And for ME this is a GREAT game, feeling the flavour to kill characters, intrigue stealing cards, or taking inlfuence. But what this it means, a character dueling another one in a tournament? Do you know what i meant? There's is important to know who you are, but is just, an extra, not the whole point. And always is a player confronting another.

Who cares who you are in the game ? I don't see why that matters. Some card games do have that as part of how the game is played, AGoT and Star Wars do not. Netrunner, WoW TCG and to an extent Magic do although in Magic it seems pretty lose and not really an important part of the game.

Agree. I just forgot to reply a post that says that "who you are in card games is important". I think like you. Doesn't matter.

Toqtamish said:

w daedhel said:

Who cares who you are in the game ? I don't see why that matters. Some card games do have that as part of how the game is played, AGoT and Star Wars do not. Netrunner, WoW TCG and to an extent Magic do although in Magic it seems pretty lose and not really an important part of the game.

I agree to an extent that not all games need to clearly define the player as a particular thing, but for those of us who play these games because we enjoy the theme, there has to be some way to 'put ourselves into the action' so to speak. In LotR, I love playing an Elrond deck because I love the character. I think it's just a fundamental difference in what I'm looking for vs. what most people here seem to be. I'm looking for a way to simulate and reinterpret the :experience: of Star Wars in the form of a game. It seems that more people are interested in a super competetive game that has some vague relationship to Star Wars

It's not that I want a super competitive game but I do want a good card game. If I want to more fully immerse myself in the Star Wars universe I will play the new Star Wars RPG.  

conykchameleon said:

Toqtamish said:

w daedhel said:

I agree to an extent that not all games need to clearly define the player as a particular thing, but for those of us who play these games because we enjoy the theme, there has to be some way to 'put ourselves into the action' so to speak. In LotR, I love playing an Elrond deck because I love the character. I think it's just a fundamental difference in what I'm looking for vs. what most people here seem to be. I'm looking for a way to simulate and reinterpret the :experience: of Star Wars in the form of a game. It seems that more people are interested in a super competetive game that has some vague relationship to Star Wars

I think you should check out Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. A role-playing game is much better suited for recreating the feel of the movies. No card game. I'll repeat this: no card game does a good job recreating the fiction/world it is tied to. That goes for AGoT, Star Wars CCG or anything. The players represent the Dark Side and the Light Side of the Force. What is the Force? I think that the main characters do a very good job representing themselves in the game. I think that because this game is different from other Star Wars card games it will take a while to get used to it. If Yoda goes into the discard pile that's fine because I'm going through so many cards in this game that I'll be able to replay him shortly. 

I do want a very competive game because it will last longer. If people want something that puts the theme above the game, I think a deck building game is better suited for that. I want a competive LCG because it will allow me to play the game much longer. The biggest problem I have with the LoTR LCG is that it isn't competive and it is hard to find people to play with. If someone isn't apart of a gaming group, getting people together to play that game is hard. I think that is one of the reasons why it isn't that popular compared to the competive games. 

cockychameleon said:

It seems that more people are interested in a super competetive game that has some vague relationship to Star Wars

Now I'll preface with that I've only played the game once (and I watched two friends play to learn) and I found it very thematic! The mechanics of the game overall and of individual characters seem to fit pretty well with the theme. (And I'd argue that it wouldn't work so elegantly if the theme was just "added on".)

Han solo shooting first, characters being captured, or taken out of combat (But able to pop up later), the alliance trying to stymie the empire by destroying their objectives (Hopefully throwing it into chaos and ending in it's ultimate defeat.), and the empire trying to finish the death star and get it fully operational. (Spelling certain doom to any dissenting world). 

The issue people seem to have the most is key characters being easily removed from the board, and certain characters being able to remove capital ships (or star fighters) from the board. 

I think this has been answered pretty well in previous posts by others, but I'll do my best to add what I can to the discussion.

Key characters are important. Not immortal. Yes, Yoda is a badass. He still ran when when the empire came to power and all the jedi were wiped out.

When he gets taken off the board, I don't see it as him dying. I see it as if he needed to escape because the empires prescence has gotten to prominant wherever he is. 
(The board doesn't seem like "the battlefield" per se, more like a combination of all the struggles across the galaxy between the empire and rebellion.)

A rancor taking out a battle ship at face value seems a little strange, but what runs a battleship? Why is a battleship interacting with a rancor? (Keep in mind DS doesn't fight DS as of yet, so you're looking at rebel ships vs rancors.)

Perhaps a key commander is trapped somewhere and threatened by a rancor, and the ship is forced to divert in order to rescue him or her? Its a thematic representation. A bit of stretch, but in no means FFG "Selling out" by sticking Star Wars onto a generic game.

My thoughts anyways.

EDIT* Corrected quote.

I think your thoughts are fine. This game is faster than SW CCG and if a character is discarded I'll bring him back. I was playing against someone today who played Luke Skywalker from his hand once, I take him out, then brought him back into play 2 more times with "Return of the Jedi" and I believe played the second Luke Skywalker. That's Luke being in the game 5 times! I took a risky play when I was running the LS by playing Home One, he discarded it and then I brought it out later in the game. Same thing happened when I was playing DS with the Emperor. I think it's very thematic as long as  someone is okay with abstraction. It's not "living breathing star wars" it's a card game with Star Wars themes. I'll play the the RPG for that. 

Archrono said:

Toqtamish said:

It seems that more people are interested in a super competetive game that has some vague relationship to Star Wars

just a side note but you mistakenly attributed that quote to me. It was actually cockychameleon. 

Yeah sorry dude, the formatting on this site is terrible (I was quoting him in a post he was quoting you.) I'll fix it.

Oh wait nevermind. I can't. :S

WHY ON EARTH CAN I ONLY EDIT A POST I JUST MADE?!?
Quite odd.

To edit an old post click the report to moderator link and in the address bar where it says reportar change that to editar and it will let you edit any post you have made. 

Toqtamish said:

To edit an old post click the report to moderator link and in the address bar where it says reportar change that to editar and it will let you edit any post you have made. 

1. Thanks for posting this work-around.  Quite useful.

2. Still insane.  While the community on these boards is probably one of the best I've ever interacted with, the forums software is by far the worst I've seen.

I have no problem with the theme, nor with characters fighting starships.

However the coreset as a product is terrible. It is plainly obvious the game doesn't work with the deckbuilding mechanism and one core set. It is far too ramdom. The choice of cards to include in each objective set was not well made. There are too many single events and units to account for any kind of strategy despite the fact that cards imply you can build such a thing. Unfortuntely you can't. This doesn't inspire me to buy a second box, it feels like I'm being manipulated rather than feeling that I want to buy it. That's not good. Even then you can only have two copies of a given card, that's not really much better. Two force lightnings? Not much to work with, even if it is a powerful card. However no Sith player is never going to have less.

The ideas in the game are sound, but the product fails the game entirely. Playing from the core box just feels too random. The game is won by whomever gets the best draw, simple as that. Everytime. There is nothing that can mitigate this. Most of the events are useless except a few so the majority get saved for edge battles. That means the game just comes down to playing units and fighting. So whomever draws best wins. There's no synergy or strategy. If that's what you enjoy, good luck to you. It's not what I want from a card game.

Including the two fringe factions was a mistake. That's card space that should have been used to flesh out the existing factions or more neutral cards. Likewise including copies of 2 limited objectives for the sole purpose of a transient training wheels scenario was another mistake. Any of the neutral objectives could have been used, why double the one card that can't be used twice?

7 factional objectives is nowhere close to enough and most of them are a bit bland. It's going to take a long time to correct this - assumign subsequent cards are desined well. Given that most of them will now focus on the Hoth keyword there's less likelihood of expansion packs actually adding to the faction based objectives that do exist. And each pack will leave out one faction so it will be many months before enough cards are released, all because of the choice of deckbuilding mechanism.

The fundamental problem is FFG spreading themselves too thinly with the core set. You have one neutral objective working with ewoks, but no other set has ewoks and won't for months. Some others are simply there to allow you to forego resource affiliation matches, but there's no point mixing deckss since the best decks at the moment will focus on one faction. There's nothing to be gained other than your own personal amusement mixing factions that a single faction can't do more effectively. Whereas, if things were done differently, you might want to splash Tarkin or the Devastator in your Sith deck, or Yoda in your Alliance deck, here you have to carry a load of other cards as well, some of which will be worthless.

I don't dislike the gameplay at all, but i probably wouldn't have brought the game had I known it would play like this with a single set. I don't really feel that inclined to buy a second, though I'd be curious to see how much difference it made. It feels a bit like i've been shortchanged. I'll probably put my core set up for sale. If i knew the expansions were going to be handled less exclusively, with respect to the Hoth concept (or whatever a given cycle will be…Endor, Yavin, etc), and that the deckbuilding mechanism meant that each faction got more out of each pack, I might feel differently. As it stands I think FFG blew it.

I think having one core set is for casual play. The game is more of a board game. That goes for all the LCGs. But, with 2 core sets the game is very playable.I think the one core is deisnged for the 4 starters from the rulebook and that's about it.