Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Brown_Bomber

What will be the optimal number of interceptors to use in a 100pt squad?

116 posts in this topic

Part of the decision comes from what my opponent did the first 2-3 rounds as well, and how far out of range we are before jumping right into range 1. If I think a straight 5 will do it, I'll do that, but if we're barely out of range, I may do a 3 or 4 maneuver depending on if I think my opponent will go 1 or 2. As it turned out last Sunday, a 3 and 4 maneuver was exactly right for gauging what my opponent was going to do.

Not yet. I played a few games today. The Misfits lost bad. Apparently they aren't nearly as effective when they aren't at Range 1. But then I played my "Pseudo-Interceptor" squad and did quite well. So, I dunno. We'll see when Wave 2 gets released.

The more squads I build, the more I think the optimal number of Interceptors is going to be 2 for my play style.

My "Pseudo-Interceptor" squad does well:

Turr w/PtL
Mauler w/Engine Upgrade
Backstabber w/Engine Upgrade
Dark Curse w/Stealth
Academy Pilot

The trouble with this squad is I would rather use Backstabber's and Mauler's actions for things other than Boost. I mean, it's fun to give the Boost action to regular TIEs, but i just didn't use it as much as I thought I would. So, I tweaked it a little like this:

Turr w/PtL
Mauler w/Veteran Instincts
Dark Curse w/Stealth
Backstabber
Alpha Squadron Pilot

That gives me 2 Interceptors, as well as 2 other TIEs that can shoot with an extra die, as well as "The Untouchable" Dark Curse to help with clean up. It's also a 99 point squad, so I should have initiative, so Mauler will get to go first, and if Turr is facing another level 7 pilot, hopefully he can get out of the firing arc after he attacks.

I looked at Swarm Tactics on Mauler, but then I have to keep the Alpha within 1 of him, and I just don't think that's going to be nearly as easy to do after wave 2 releases. The TIE squads I'm favoring now don't rely on squad cohesion at all, but instead rely on individual fighters attacking from many angles, which I think will be a necessary evolution with my opponent having the boost action.

The Misfits would be an exception to this line of thinking. But they are hit and miss. When they work, they work well, but when they don't work, they fall apart quickly. So maybe the squads I listed here will be more consistent.

I also looked at some 3 Interceptor squads, but I don't think they will fit my style of play. I think the only squad with more than 2 Interceptors that I want to try is Turr w/PtL and 4 Alphas. I'm curious to see if the firepower of that squad will actually work, or if the 3 agility/hull will be its downfall before it gets a chance to attack.

hothie said:

The more squads I build, the more I think the optimal number of Interceptors is going to be 2 for my play style.

My "Pseudo-Interceptor" squad does well:

Turr w/PtL
Mauler w/Engine Upgrade
Backstabber w/Engine Upgrade
Dark Curse w/Stealth
Academy Pilot

The trouble with this squad is I would rather use Backstabber's and Mauler's actions for things other than Boost. I mean, it's fun to give the Boost action to regular TIEs, but i just didn't use it as much as I thought I would. So, I tweaked it a little like this:

Turr w/PtL
Mauler w/Veteran Instincts
Dark Curse w/Stealth
Backstabber
Alpha Squadron Pilot

That gives me 2 Interceptors, as well as 2 other TIEs that can shoot with an extra die, as well as "The Untouchable" Dark Curse to help with clean up. It's also a 99 point squad, so I should have initiative, so Mauler will get to go first, and if Turr is facing another level 7 pilot, hopefully he can get out of the firing arc after he attacks.

I looked at Swarm Tactics on Mauler, but then I have to keep the Alpha within 1 of him, and I just don't think that's going to be nearly as easy to do after wave 2 releases. The TIE squads I'm favoring now don't rely on squad cohesion at all, but instead rely on individual fighters attacking from many angles, which I think will be a necessary evolution with my opponent having the boost action.

The Misfits would be an exception to this line of thinking. But they are hit and miss. When they work, they work well, but when they don't work, they fall apart quickly. So maybe the squads I listed here will be more consistent.

I also looked at some 3 Interceptor squads, but I don't think they will fit my style of play. I think the only squad with more than 2 Interceptors that I want to try is Turr w/PtL and 4 Alphas. I'm curious to see if the firepower of that squad will actually work, or if the 3 agility/hull will be its downfall before it gets a chance to attack.

3 interceptors will be worth a try eh? id be edf tempted to run swarm tactics if i was going with that number. illl own 3 intercepters soon (have them back ordered) so ill be able to post some feedback here soon on 3 intercepter builds.

Another option I had not seen mentioned is Turr with PtL and 3 X Saber all with PtL. A list like that would have good synergy. Comes to 100 points on the nose.

Vespula said:

Another option I had not seen mentioned is Turr with PtL and 3 X Saber all with PtL. A list like that would have good synergy. Comes to 100 points on the nose.

nice. i will soon own 3 intercepters. maybe i should by a 4th?

The R5Don4 Star II said:

and a fifth for good measure.

I have one, and will be buying four more. From this perspective on the set--that is, having seen how much fun one is but without having flown a group of them--it's hard to really say how many is the right number, and I'd like the option of going all the way up to Turr + 4x Alpha if I want to.

Any person facing four Tie Intercepters with PtL will have a lot of WTF moments.  The key will be closing that range so they can truly shine. Their maneuverability and effectiveness will be brutal once they get amongst the Rebel ranks. With so many green maneuver options available stress should not be an issue. 

That does sound like a fun squad, and will have to try it out sometime. Turr w PtL really does zip around the board a lot quicker than you would think. I'll have to wait a few more weeks to find out what 4 Squints with PtL will do.

Ive found running fel with PtL, turr with vet insticts and 2 alpha with stealth engines is a very effective combo, it allows you to pick on ships as a gang and make sure you're hitting where it hurts most

Tried my Turr with ptl, Saber wit vet instincts and two Tempest with concussion missiles again last night. Took on Dreiss, and a couple of Ywings. Only took me 5 turns to take them apart although I did lose both Interceptors. Really liking this combo.

BigDogg said:

Sounds like the wave 2 stuff is pretty potent. Can't wait to get some.

yep theyve upped the power level of the upgardes and the forepower. should speed up the game, espicially if the trend towards smaller squads for imperials contuniues.

Vespula said:

Any person facing four Tie Intercepters with PtL will have a lot of WTF moments.  The key will be closing that range so they can truly shine. Their maneuverability and effectiveness will be brutal once they get amongst the Rebel ranks. With so many green maneuver options available stress should not be an issue. 

I could see this being very frustrating for a low PS rebel x-wing list, but many of the 3 ship rebel list run with PS 6 as the lowest skill - my personal favorite is Wedge, Luke, and Dutch.  The most logical (I think) 4 interceptor list to maximise PTL is Turr Phennir + 3x Saber Squad with PTL.   WIth this list, you only outnumber the rebel list by 1, and those saber squadron pilots are going to have to move before the whole rebel list.  I think its going to be really hard to determine if you're going to boost or not when you haven't seen where any of the enemy ships have moved.  

Also, with only 4 ships in the imperial list, if wedge knocks one out with a proton torp on the first exchange, I think the rebels will have a serious advantage.  

Endgame124 said:

Vespula said:

I could see this being very frustrating for a low PS rebel x-wing list, but many of the 3 ship rebel list run with PS 6 as the lowest skill - my personal favorite is Wedge, Luke, and Dutch.  The most logical (I think) 4 interceptor list to maximise PTL is Turr Phennir + 3x Saber Squad with PTL.   WIth this list, you only outnumber the rebel list by 1, and those saber squadron pilots are going to have to move before the whole rebel list.  I think its going to be really hard to determine if you're going to boost or not when you haven't seen where any of the enemy ships have moved.  

Also, with only 4 ships in the imperial list, if wedge knocks one out with a proton torp on the first exchange, I think the rebels will have a serious advantage.  

its def a tradeoff between high PSkill and firepower with the intercepters.

im leaning towards 5 ship builds that use 2 or 3 intercepters. PTL combined with boost is going to be hard to deal with for rebels.

Endgame124 said:

Vespula said:

Endgame124 said:

Vespula said:

its def a tradeoff between high PSkill and firepower with the intercepters.

im leaning towards 5 ship builds that use 2 or 3 intercepters. PTL combined with boost is going to be hard to deal with for rebels.

blank.gif?v16Turr Phennir + Push the Limit (28)
TIE-I

Unique
After you perform an attack, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action.
Upgrades:

Modification
Push the Limit (3) 
blank.gif?v16Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)
TIE-I

Upgrades:

Modification
blank.gif?v16Dark Curse + Stealth Device (19)
CORE

4/3

Unique
"When defending, ships attacking you cannot spend focus tokens or reroll attack dice.
Upgrades:

Stealth Device (3) 
blank.gif?v16"Fel's Wrath" (23)
TIE-I

Unique
When the number of damage cards assigned to you equals or exceeds your hull value, you are not destroyed unti the end of the round.
Upgrades:

Modification
blank.gif?v16Academy Pilot (12)
CORE
TIE

Upgrades:

Modification

The_Brown_Bomber said:

blank.gif?v16Turr Phennir + Push the Limit (28)
TIE-I

Unique
After you perform an attack, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action.
Upgrades:

Modification
Push the Limit (3) 
blank.gif?v16Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)
TIE-I

Upgrades:

Modification
blank.gif?v16Dark Curse + Stealth Device (19)
CORE

4/3

Unique
"When defending, ships attacking you cannot spend focus tokens or reroll attack dice.
Upgrades:

Stealth Device (3) 
blank.gif?v16"Fel's Wrath" (23)
TIE-I

Unique
When the number of damage cards assigned to you equals or exceeds your hull value, you are not destroyed unti the end of the round.
Upgrades:

Modification
blank.gif?v16Academy Pilot (12)
CORE
TIE

Upgrades:

Modification

this build has two blockers and mid-range pilot skills. its not tested and is off the top of my head but going with 3 intercepters and two ties seems to be a pretty potent mix.

Something I have been doing is using one Squint and five Ties.  I swapped Vader for Fel with PTL.  Then Supported Fel with a mix of five ties.  It works well.  I think Two Squints would be the way to go.

The more I play with mixed Interceptor and TIE/Ln squads, the more I think a Turr w/PtL and 4 Alphas is just going to rock the house. The extra attack die and maneuverability are just too big to pass up for numbers. The main Wave 1 TIEs I have been playing with have been Backstabber and Dark Curse with Stealth, who did finally take damage last weekend after numerous shots from concentrated fire.

I can't wait for my order from Miniature market to get here, but they said they have over 3000 orders to ship within 24 hours, so not sure how that's going to play out.

So, I'm really looking forward to playing Turr and 4 Alphas, but I played a game today which has me thinking a little differently.

Today I played Turr w/ptl and 6 Academy Pilots, to get myself into the mode of playing Turr with a bunch of level 1 pilots. So who was the target? Naturally Turr. When he went down (after only getting 1 shot off, bad defense dice), that left my AP's to fend for themselves (which they did rather nicely, I won.) I gotta believe that Turr with 4 Alphas will happen relatively the same way each time; Turr will go down first, and the level 1's will be left to fend for themselves.

So, afterwards, I made up a new squad:

Fel's Wrath (please, naysayers, just hear me out)
Backstabber
Alpha Squadron X2
Academy Pilot X2

This comes to 99 points, so I should have initiative for my Level 1 pilots to move first. So who is the target? Fel's Wrath, which doesn't matter if he goes down first, as he will get his final shot off regardless. I'll fly Backstabber and the 2 Alphas in 1 wing, so if my opponent does go after Backstabber to negate his ability, he'll be facing 2 Squints when he does. Fel's Wrath with the 2 Academy Pilots will be the other wing. Either wing should be fairly potent and provide a tough choice for my opponent as to who to target.

This squad also has 6 fighters. Today I played 7, and my opponent played a YT, so I was able to block him onto an asteroid and not get any attacks from him for 2 rounds. Having 6 level 1 pilots allowed me to block rather nicely that game (kept Dutch from Target locking as well) , and I think that will translate better once Wave 2 releases, as the squads seem to tend towards fewer pilots and higher pilots skills. So having 4 will still be effective I think, and having 2 of them be Interceptors will help with the offensive side.

I dunno, I think this squad has a good balance of offense, numbers, blockers, etc, so it should be effective on a number of levels. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

hothie said:

So, I'm really looking forward to playing Turr and 4 Alphas, but I played a game today which has me thinking a little differently.

Today I played Turr w/ptl and 6 Academy Pilots, to get myself into the mode of playing Turr with a bunch of level 1 pilots. So who was the target? Naturally Turr. When he went down (after only getting 1 shot off, bad defense dice), that left my AP's to fend for themselves (which they did rather nicely, I won.) I gotta believe that Turr with 4 Alphas will happen relatively the same way each time; Turr will go down first, and the level 1's will be left to fend for themselves.

So, afterwards, I made up a new squad:

Fel's Wrath (please, naysayers, just hear me out)
Backstabber
Alpha Squadron X2
Academy Pilot X2

This comes to 99 points, so I should have initiative for my Level 1 pilots to move first. So who is the target? Fel's Wrath, which doesn't matter if he goes down first, as he will get his final shot off regardless. I'll fly Backstabber and the 2 Alphas in 1 wing, so if my opponent does go after Backstabber to negate his ability, he'll be facing 2 Squints when he does. Fel's Wrath with the 2 Academy Pilots will be the other wing. Either wing should be fairly potent and provide a tough choice for my opponent as to who to target.

This squad also has 6 fighters. Today I played 7, and my opponent played a YT, so I was able to block him onto an asteroid and not get any attacks from him for 2 rounds. Having 6 level 1 pilots allowed me to block rather nicely that game (kept Dutch from Target locking as well) , and I think that will translate better once Wave 2 releases, as the squads seem to tend towards fewer pilots and higher pilots skills. So having 4 will still be effective I think, and having 2 of them be Interceptors will help with the offensive side.

I dunno, I think this squad has a good balance of offense, numbers, blockers, etc, so it should be effective on a number of levels. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

very intersting build. i like the idea of having generic/expendable blockers. 3 interceptors seems decent but as u posted u also need some defensive guys that u plan on using to run interference. u have the versatilty of blockers combined with 3-attack dice firepower. making everything pretty much independent is probably key so your plans r not ruined if u lose one key ship. i will own 3 intercepters once my order arrives so i could play this build :)