Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The_Brown_Bomber

How good is marksmanship?

Recommended Posts

One of the things I've found is how drastically wave two cards strengthen wave one ships. I'm currently running a three X-wing build that is just disgusting. I shot down a seven tie swarm with little effort and acomplished all mission objectives in the scenario we were playing.  Before wave two I never would have played these pilots together.  Now however their ability to play off each other and use their abilities and upgrades to not only deal out some pain but avoid it as well makes themincredible.

Some combos I've found;

R2F2 + stealth device

 Black squadron pilots withveteran instincts.

Marksmanship on YT-100 with gunner

firespray with heavy canon marksmanship and ggunner

wedge with expose, andBiggs

i know there are more, these are just some I've played with the most value.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picasso said:

One of the things I've found is how drastically wave two cards strengthen wave one ships…

I'm salivating over Wedge + R2 Astromech + Push the Limit, Push the Limit + Concussion Missiles, and (it's in your list, but worth mentioning again) anything that can mount Marksmanship + Gunner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Marksmanship used by a player in a 3 Ship Rebel list. Makes sense on Mister Horton Salm if he can get a target lock from his colleagues, or still has it from the turn before. He destroyed two ties with that tactic since i focused on Wedge. But when he was out of torps, he was basically done with damage. Also the combo cost 11 points of equipmemt alone. And i would have cared if i had played an elite list but i played a swarm. Crits are also often useless if the enemy sports shielded ships, so it is really a very poor option.

Honestly i think marksmanship is one of the poorest options you have. Swarm Tactics, Squadron Leader, and some of the new cards like push the limit or daredevil are so much better and they dont cost more. Which leads me to the problem that this very situational upgrade costs 3 points. Plain focusing costs nothing and is definitely more versatile.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ForceM said:

I saw Marksmanship used by a player in a 3 Ship Rebel list. Makes sense on Mister Horton Salm if he can get a target lock from his colleagues, or still has it from the turn before. He destroyed two ties with that tactic since i focused on Wedge. But when he was out of torps, he was basically done with damage. Also the combo cost 11 points of equipmemt alone. And i would have cared if i had played an elite list but i played a swarm. Crits are also often useless if the enemy sports shielded ships, so it is really a very poor option.

Honestly i think marksmanship is one of the poorest options you have. Swarm Tactics, Squadron Leader, and some of the new cards like push the limit or daredevil are so much better and they dont cost more. Which leads me to the problem that this very situational upgrade costs 3 points. Plain focusing costs nothing and is definitely more versatile.

 

 

Horton can't take Marksmanship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picasso said:

You can't use marksmanship on Horton. Y-wings don't have that upgrade option. 

Okay i guess then my opponent was cheating. Although i think it is ridiculous how overpriced Y-Wings are, especially named ones, so i am not really mad if he takes even more pretty useless stuff XD. I must say nobody checked his list or even took notice as i was not his only enemy. Personally i thought at least the top Y-Wing pilot would have the medal symbol, therefore i didn't look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picasso said:

Some combos I've found;

firespray with heavy canon marksmanship and ggunner

To be sure, Marksmanship applies after Heavy Laser Cannon, since HLC does say immediately?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunsteel said:

Picasso said:

 

Some combos I've found;

firespray with heavy canon marksmanship and ggunner

 

 

To be sure, Marksmanship applies after Heavy Laser Cannon, since HLC does say immediately?

Yup. So does an ability like Merc Copilot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The_Brown_Bomber said:

The_Brown_Bomber said:

 

i can see marksmanship needing additional synergy to make it more playable. taking it as a free action for example. Sqaud leader or lando perhaps?

 

 

 

the problem is of course is that for 3pts you can get something better eh?

Exactly, for example take push the limit, so you can focus and Target Lock, far exceeding the results of marksmanship for the same cost. In fact it is even inferior to plain Focus since this at least can be used defensively. I think this upgrade is useless, or at least 2 points overcosted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ForceM, 

are you kidding me?  Are we still debating this?  Yes marksmanship is a situational card. Just like PTL.  Yes PTL is better on Wedge.  It's about how you fly. I'd NEVER put PTL on a YT-100.  It has better options. So every card has a situation. Every card has a use.  To say marksmanship should be altered is insane. Reducing its cost allows for when it is used effectivly to be deadly. It would also allow for additional points else where in your list.  You can't say ANY card in this game is useless. There is a use for every card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ForceM said:

The_Brown_Bomber said:

The_Brown_Bomber said:

 

i can see marksmanship needing additional synergy to make it more playable. taking it as a free action for example. Sqaud leader or lando perhaps?

 

 

 

the problem is of course is that for 3pts you can get something better eh?

Exactly, for example take push the limit, so you can focus and Target Lock, far exceeding the results of marksmanship for the same cost. In fact it is even inferior to plain Focus since this at least can be used defensively. I think this upgrade is useless, or at least 2 points overcosted!

In the case of Scarlet it may not though since those crits do matter to her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it was just luck of the dice, but played a 60 point game with a friend last night (my collection only involves a core set, A-WIng and TIE/in), and he had Marksmanship on Luke and just ripped me apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well i have used marksmanship at events and destoyed most fleets

HAN,GUNNER,and MARKSMANSHIP,and for defence CHEWBACCA

ok not much defence

 

but offence is OTT

 

and people say crits are bad but when you hit out a lot of crits the 2 hit crit cards just come up more often,and a lot of other cards use up actions .

 

blackthorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wblackthorn said:

well i have used marksmanship at events and destoyed most fleets

HAN,GUNNER,and MARKSMANSHIP,and for defence CHEWBACCA

ok not much defence

 

but offence is OTT

 

and people say crits are bad but when you hit out a lot of crits the 2 hit crit cards just come up more often,and a lot of other cards use up actions .

 

blackthorn

People really need to re-examine the notion of "Crits suck" now that the big ships are here. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...