Sign in to follow this  
lupex

Interpreting Multple rolls

I am having a bit of a problem interpreting results from dice rolls made by more than one character at a time, such as when i ask everyone to make perception rolls as everone gets different amounts of success/failures/advantages/threats etc.  This could also be an issue when rolling vigilance or other passive skills? 

One player has suggested that for things like that perhaps we should just make one assisted role for the whole group?

How have others handled this?

Well, for starters, how would you handle a disparate number of results in any other RPG?

In pretty much every RPG that's been made (and probably those yet to come), there's going to be people that roll lousy on Perception checks, people who roll okay, and people who get a freaking amazing result.

So in spite of using a different resolution system than most RPGs, determining Perception check results in EotE shouldn't be handled any differently.  Those who don't get a success don't notice anything, those who score a single success get the basic info, and those who score multiple successes get either get more info or better info about the scene.

Depends on the situation I suppose. Using your Perception example…

A sniper team is pulling surveillance on a facility from a hillcrest nearby, one using a sniper scope, another using macrobinoculars. When a Perception roll is made to notice something, I would treat it as an assist since they are both looking at the same target, trying to do the exact same thing.

A group of 3 characters need to roll Perception to notice the ambush up ahead. I could see an argument for another assist to make it simple for the Referee. But, as DM pointed out above, this could easily be just 3 seperate rolls. Joe gets just a Success, Bob gets a Success with Triumph, and Stan gets a Failure with Despair. Joe notices movement up ahead, Bob not only notices the ambush, but spots the location of the four ambushers in the treeline, and Stan hears a twig break behind the players and turns around.

I can cope with degrees of success, coupled with additional advantage but the issue came up when I had 4 players and the roll results were;

1 failure with 3 advantages,

2 successes with 2 threats,

0 successes with 1 advantage,

1 succes with 2 advantage (this is the easiest to read).

This was just to notice things in the general area and I was a bit stumped when it came to describing what everyone noticed, this is the second time that this has come up.

Normally i start with the player with the lowest number, describe what he sees and then add more detail as I go up the numbers, I can't quite get my head straight with the mixed results?

It looks like a lot of your issue really has more to do with Advantages and Threats rather than degrees of success.

I'd suggest simply not counting any Advantages or Threats for "routine" things like Perception checks just to determine what the PCs see, unless the PC is actively trying to see if there are specific details about the scene that would really stick out to their character.

So unless it's the player actively trying to accomplish something, just say that Advantages and Threat aren't important in such rolls.

And for the record, from the way skills read, you wouldn't be using Perception to necessarily spot an ambush, but rather Vigilance as a reaction to the ambush, with any PC results that exceed the bad guys' Cool results being a case of the PC "spotting" the ambush just before it happens.