Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
executor

Action rule questions

11 posts in this topic

hi there, i searched through the forums and couldn't find anything relating to my topic but here goes

 

so i just picked up this game the other day and i have 2 questions

 

first: when must the actions be taken? as in; does each ship take its action directly after its own movement? or do you take your actions after all ships have moved?

 

second: when using an upgrade card. are they one time uses per game?

 

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st: each ship takes it''s action at the end of it's own movement

2nd: each upgrade card can be used an infinite number of times unless stated on the card. Currently, the only upgrade cards that are limited are all missiles, all bombs, all torpedos, and the crewmember Chewbacca, all stating that you discard the card after you use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks a bundle 

but now i ran into another issue

when at range 1 does the cluster missles give you a bonus die to each attack or is it still limited to 3 per attack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

executor said:

thanks a bundle 

but now i ran into another issue

when at range 1 does the cluster missles give you a bonus die to each attack or is it still limited to 3 per attack?

 

There is no limit to the number of dice you can roll on an attack (with various bonuses), however the rule for a bonus dice at Range 1 and Range 3 (defence) applies only to Primary Weapons. The cluster missiles are Secondary Weapons and, therefore, confer no range bonus/penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's kind of a nitpicky point, but actions are declared at the end of your movement.  Some do occur then as well, like barrel roll, but others, like focus and evade, don't come into play until you're in combat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DailyRich said:

It's kind of a nitpicky point, but actions are declared at the end of your movement.  Some do occur then as well, like barrel roll, but others, like focus and evade, don't come into play until you're in combat.

Slightly incorrect. Those actions have their full effect at the end of your movement: giving the ship the appropriate token. Spending the token occurs during combat, but is not itself an action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dbmeboy said:

DailyRich said:

Slightly incorrect. Those actions have their full effect at the end of your movement: giving the ship the appropriate token. Spending the token occurs during combat, but is not itself an action.

 

Correct, otherwise you couldn't spend multiple tokens in a turn (target lock, focus; focus, evade; focus, focus; etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dbmeboy said:

DailyRich said:

It's kind of a nitpicky point, but actions are declared at the end of your movement.  Some do occur then as well, like barrel roll, but others, like focus and evade, don't come into play until you're in combat.

Slightly incorrect. Those actions have their full effect at the end of your movement: giving the ship the appropriate token. Spending the token occurs during combat, but is not itself an action.

Say we're at the beginning of a game and we're about to start the first combat phase:

 

-X-Wing Rookie (PS - 2) w/ Torpedo

Vs.

-Tie Advanced Vader (PS - 9)

     -(Or any other pilot and ship higher or equal to Pilot Skill 2 who moves second)

 

Scenario:

(A) The Rookie (2) moves first, but is not yet in range 2 or 3 of Vader and wants to Target Lock. Vader (9) then moves and comes into range 2 or 3.

AND/OR

(B) Both players have a Rookie or the same Pilot Skill Vs. each other (for example: 'Rookie' X-Wing Vs. 'Rookie' X-Wing or Vs. 'Tempest Squadron' Tie Advanced). The one who moves first in that scenario can also target lock? Or is it only the one who moves second into range 2 or 3 that can Target Lock, forcing the Rookie or first to move into using a focus token or evade?

Question:

Is there any way for a Target Lock  to occur for the Rookie to launch the Torpedo on the first combat phase?

 

Fact:

All the games i've played against other people seem to play out with the menuever of all ships, then the placement of the tokens and actions. I'm getting the feeling that is incorrect play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You take an action after completing your maneuver.  When you take an action, all conditions must be met at that moment; you can't hold or defer the action in any way, or take it based on what might happen later in the turn.  In both your scenarios, the ship that moves first is not in range to acquire a target lock when they take their action, so they cannot do so.  The second ship to move IS in range when they take their action, so could lock.

Ships with the same pilot skill still activate in a fixed order, so even your two Rookie example would play out the same, with the player who has initiative moving his Rookir first, and being out of range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are ways for the rookie who moved first to get the target lock.

1/ If an elite pilot on their side has 'squad leader' abillity then they can give an action to the rookie who now meets the conditions to get a target lock.

2/ The pilot "Dutch vander also has an abiltiy to allow an ally to aquire a target lock when Dutch does.

There may be some more as well. I would love to see a pilot (maybe Corran Horn) or ability card that lets you transfer your target lock token to another ally ship. It would work well with the themes set by the X-wing novels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0