Sign in to follow this  
Grave13

FFG please give us a E-Wing :)

The problem is that prequel era ships should be underpowered in comparison. Yes they seem fast and powerfiul while dogfighting eachother but put up against an X Wing or A Wing not so impressive. The Z-95 should be the base template to guauge the fighters of that era from

Edited by Gosric

I think Yagyu has the right of it. FFG is doing a good job right now. The HWK is an EU ship and it's been accepted. There aren't that many more iconic fighters from the original trilogy left. Most of the pilots we have are EU. Even if they aren't, they usually weren't fleshed out in the movies themselves. How many times did they refer to a TIE pilot by name in New Hope? I'm more interested in having a good, interesting, and well supported game than one that check any creativity at the door.

Let's be honest, a lot of the EU stuff is pretty cool. A lot of the official stuff is pretty terrible. When are we going to see Chewie's family as pilot cards? Can you imagine this:

ItchyX-Wing.jpg

Things have stagnated, you compare the ships of the Old Republic and things haven't change hugely over 4000 years

During the Clone Wars era

The Y-Wing would be straight off the production lines rather than repaired with whatever is at hand for 40 years and still have their outer plating, so should be similar if not superior to the current versions.

The Firespray and the YT-1300 were both Clone War era ships

The ETA-2 and the Jedi Starfighter both had capabilities that a normal pilot couldn't handle. So I doubt they would be a lot less maneuverable than an A-Wing.

And then you compare the ARC-170 in battle to the Y-Wing and they compare well..

Just because things move on so much in 40 years here on Earth. I don't think they move on that fast in the Star Wars universe.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

I wanted to address the expanded universe jitters that some people seem to have. I'm not sure if everyone else who is against the eu stuff feels the same as me. I love the idea of having different ships, fulfilling different roles and everything. My beef with the eu is simple:

Ships like the xj x-wing. It's like an x-wing, only better in every conceivable way. It has:

1) more guns

2) better shields

3) more torpedos

4) better engines

5) more maneuverable

This is awesome for a book. Duh I want to see Luke in his crazy awesome new x-wing and blow the [explitive deleted] out of the sky. That kind of power creep doesn't work so well for tactical games though.

This is my fear of eu, I'm not sure if it's everyone's though.

this is true, time and technological development is problematic if you are playing a game which is basically a snapshot of a certain limited time span, at least if you want to field all ships that are available at the same time. If you are willing to only use ships of the same era in one game you can do it, but would probably cost you a few followers. ;)

the basic problem is that the rebellion era ship types are somewhat limited in numbers, at least if you just refer to the movies. From the looks of it most of the iconic starfighters are already there, if you are willing to live with these sets or just a few rounds of repaints, then this is ok too.

To a degree this is actually a feature, since it doesn't create an open-ended pit to throw money into. ;)

Edited by Asgo

There are only 13 hours 17 minutes of movies in the 6 movies total.  Not enough there to build the universe we have come to love.

?

There are only 5 movies.

A New Hope.

Empire strikes back.

Return of the Jedi.

Caravan of Courage

Ewoks and the Marauders of Endor

You forgot Episodes 1, 2 and 3....

Not that i don´t like the prequels but i really hope that they never release ships from PT.
I´m fine with the complete EU so far. But it wouldn´t feel okay to me if they mix the timelines.

I would love to see the ETA-2, Sith Infiltrator, Arc-170, Alpha-3 Nimbus-class V-wing and the V-19 torrent starfighter.

I'm not a big fan of the Delta-7-Aethersprite, but it's not totally eye-gougingly awful. and the Naboo yellow fighters are a bit meh.

I doubt will ever see a Trident Drill Assault Transport... But I do love that ship.

------

But seriously we are talking 19 years (the clone wars were 19-22 years before the battle of Yavin), in a setting that has had space travel for 5000+ years, a lot of ships like the Z-95, YT-1300, Firespray and Y-Wing are still in service because things haven't moved on very far technologically. We are by this point talking about the equivalent of a fighter plane produced in 1994. If we looked at  aircraft introduced before 1994, that would include the Eurofighter, Mig-29, A-10 Thunderbolt II, AH-64 Apache, F-15 Eagle

all which are still in use (though most of these were introduced before even 1980)... 19 years is not a lot of time for a ship to become totally obsolete.

Wasn't a fan of the banana boats either, but the Naboo yachts were cool, and the ARC and a few other ships were very cool. I think that may be the downfall of games like this. Once all the viable ship types are done, then all they can do is issue repaints or hope new players keep joining in..

It's the same with another game I play.. same planes, just new paint schemes.. no new stuff so to speak, but new shiney to the players happy.. plus many of us do repaints as well.. I have way too many WWI aircraft and a bunch I repainted.. lol.. might just start putting them up for sale on ebay

If you're worried about fighter capability comparison don't be: Some low point cost, low capability ships are exactly what's needed to freshen up the rebels and to throw just a touch of diversity at the Imperial swarms.  I think we can can have a 10pt ship and still be ok (hour long matches could be an issue).  They would be a body, a blocker, and essentially just extra hull points for your list.  Most of the time they do little except get off a few shots and take one for the team.  Sometimes they survive against all odds the entire battle, sometimes they land a direct damage crit and seal the game.  How many times have you built a list and had ~10pts left and scraped the idea because that wasn't enough for a ship and too many points into upgrades?

I also agree that nothing in use in the clone wars is unusable in this game and many of them may in fact be desirable: headhunter, jedi interceptors, N-1,  Fanblades, Arc 170, chiss clawcraft, cloakskape fighters, all the droid fighters...

Clawcraft could be a thing, they're about the same era, and decidedly Imperial. Another problem with adding prequel ships is do you also add prequel factions (ie Republic and Separatists) or do you try to shoehorn them into the Rebel and Imperial lists? On the one hand, adding the new factions would be just weird, since you'd end up with things like Empire vs Republic, which would be the same people just at different times. On the other, most of the ships don't actually fit into either of the current camps, so it would feel awkward then.

Clawcraft were first created 20 years after the film, they are slightly different to a ship like the ARC-170 that was in general use by the Republic and then was gradually phased out by the Empire over the next 19 years, ARC-170 are probably still in service in planetary defence forces and and the navy in outlying areas at the time of the movies. In a similar way to the way Y-Wings are still in use. The fact that they turn up in the hanger bay of the New Empires secret base in 13ABY suggests they are still in use somewhere.

On a side note, I think it would be awesome if a future expansion (maybe an Aces pack) included an old-school, fresh out of the Clone Wars model Y-Wing, with all the plating and everything intact.  

This would also make for a cool sculpting project. I haven't worked with plasticard scratchbuilding at this scale before, otherwise I'd give it a shot. Modifying my YT-1300 would ave to come first.

I just finished a slight revamp on this one, Enhanced the detail a bit etc. Let me know what you guys think. i always welcome constructive criticism.

http://lorelei-shipyards.tumblr.com/post/67749021117/e-wing-starfighter-the-3d-model-and-the-printed

And in case anyone is interested in my designs etc, mostly the 3d renders but a few shots of the actual models are floating in there feel free to take a look. considering the limitations imposed by having to make them printable i think they look pretty good

http://lorelei-shipyards.tumblr.com/archive

I have the Fate of the Galaxy E-wing 3d file, the render shown on 1st page. I need to finish cleaning it up a bit and making it suitable for rapid prototyping. Maybe by Christmas. Maybe.

So, have you ever thought about the E-Wings stats?

What is the E-Wing about anyway? An X-Wing with a dial of an A-Wing and cannon upgrade?

Do the rebels want to have kind of a super 3 ship (3-3-3-3 and varants) like it is discussed over and over again for TIE-Defender and TIE-Avenger? Please enlight me, E-Wing lovers.

I like the E Wing from an aesthetic standpoint which is why i made my own version. But i personally i just treat it as another fighter rather than a super fighter. Considering how many different kinds of fighters are in existence on Earth many with very few differences in stats it makes sense to me that in an entire galaxy there would be more than just the X Wing with that kind of look. In much the same way that the F-15 and the MiG 29, or the F86 and MiG 15  had some external similiarities.