Sign in to follow this  
Grave13

FFG please give us a E-Wing :)

X-Wing and B-Wing are strong enough. Now it is the time to unveil to crush them all: The TIE Defender ;)

Wich of course also is an EU ship.

If you get your Defender I want my TIE Hunter, dang it. *chuckle*

I can't really say I'm a fan of it (the E-Wing), probably because I know very little about it and it reminds me of the fighters from Battlestar Galactica more than Star Wars, but I'm all for having this game last for years to come, since I've only just started playing. I'm certainly not against more EU ships, and they really do need to release another faction.

That said, if they do release it and I like it's performance, who knows? I was never a big fan of the B-Wing and I was pretty WTF when I first saw the HWK-290, but I quickly fell in love with their abilities and performance.So I say bring on the E-Wing!

I'd be happy either way, but I think the EU ships would have a very different feel to them - it no longer feels like the movies.  There's something lost and something gained... 

I'd prefer the non EU upgrades as I suggested, and after that spin-offs into ground combat, speeders, that kind of thing.  The EU material is just random stuff from a wookiepedia to me.  I think the game could still be good with it, but it would lose a lot of the atmosphere and theme. 

One wave of EU ships may not be so bad, but I don't want it to get to a point where players are no longer fielding X-wings or tie fighters because they've been replaced.

For the EU haters out there, you do realize they already have an EU ship and a number of EU pilots right? Plus why would you not want more ships? If you dont like the EU ships, then simply dont play them and or ask the people you play with not to play them against you. But i mean seriously, dont try and ruin it for the rest of the people who want more ships, love the EU stuff and want the most choices. Repaints and such can be cool as well, but the game can be so much fuller by them harvesting all of the staw wars lore, not just the classic trilogy.

I predict we'll get one last wave of classic Star Wars before the new movie hits.

This depends entirely on whether or not we get any sort of atmospheric craft or other rule variations, and if a wave will just be more repainted versions of ships we already have (which would be a bit of a **** move).

I'm all for EU ships as long as they fit the Star Wars design aesthetic.  There have been a lot of ships designed to suit specific purposes of the work they appear in, be it books or comics or games or whatever, and they don't all fit the style of the films.  The E-wing generally does though, so I'm okay with it.

When done right the E-Wing can look good i think. But i have issues with the long barrel protruding over the cockpit, expecially since according to the history of it the guns were prone to explode. Though when it comes down to it why bother when you have an X Wing

Why are you bringing back a thread from a year ago???

Because i was not on the board a year ago and i like some variations of the E Wing. But since there have been several responses since i did it is evidently a thread thats time has come again

For the EU haters out there, you do realize they already have an EU ship and a number of EU pilots right? Plus why would you not want more ships? If you dont like the EU ships, then simply dont play them and or ask the people you play with not to play them against you. But i mean seriously, dont try and ruin it for the rest of the people who want more ships, love the EU stuff and want the most choices. Repaints and such can be cool as well, but the game can be so much fuller by them harvesting all of the staw wars lore, not just the classic trilogy.

My god...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank You.

For christ's sake people, this game is LITTERED with EU. Even the core set has EU. The pilots in the original film were not named, the TIE pilots, that is. Obsidian Squadron counts as EU, because it was not stated in the film.

Come on people. If we just stuck to what was in the films, then we'd be ignoring the wonderful galaxy that is Star Wars. For what it's worth.

I don't take sides on a lot of things here, but Obi-Wan's ghost as my witness I will stand for The Expanded Universe.

Also, for what it's worth, I had an in depth stat build for the E-Wing a few posts ago.

Z-95 and E-wing would be fantastic. The E-wing would be like a quicker Y-wing, without a blaster turret and a blaster cannon instead. It would not have the firepower of a B-wing, but it wouldn't have the turret of a Y-wing, and it'd be quicker, but likely more fragile than both, Comparable to an X-wing in terms of stats, likely with higher shields but lower firepower.

Attack: 2

Maneuverability: 2

Armor: 3

Shields: 3

More durable than an X-wing shield wise, because it's generally a more advanced starfighter, but less firepower. This can be made up for with the Blaster Cannon, which could be ion, heavy, or whatever blaster cannon cards you may have. It can carry 12 proton torpedoes, however giving it two slots may be overkill, and this ends up making the B-wing look less attractive, due to the fact it'd end up looking like a slower E-wing, so give it one torpedo slot so it doesn't fill the B-wing's heavy-fighter niche (Even though the E-wing was a much better replacement for the Y-wing than the X-wing).

So, blaster cannon due to the top cannon, proton torpedo slot, and an Astromech. Note, the astromech would be an interesting option. The E-wing would have to come with the R7 astromech card, which could not be used on other fighters without another card, a modification card, that takes the relevant astromech and allows it to be used on other fighters. This makes the R7 expensive but worthwhile. But what ability could it have that makes it so?

I'm thinking one of two things

Action: Discard one face up damage card with the ship attribute without resolving its effect

Action: This round, remove an ion token assigned to your ship

Those are both worthwhile investments that I'm fairly certain are not in the game yet.

Another modification card, this one is speculative.

Modification: You may use any astromech on this fighter.

This counts for the other fighters as well and allows the use of the R7 on others, or the normal ones on an E-wing. It'd be an interesting first for The Rebellion.

Finally, I imagine it'd have a slighty better-than-X-Wing dial and I'd love to see it barrel roll, but that's extremely unlikely. Likewise, this fighter must be more expensive than an X-wing. No doubt in my mind. Not drastically so, but it ought to be.

IF we get an E-wing, we should get a TIE Defender, to balance it out.

Please no.  In general I don't want EU, but the E-wing is the worst.

Cool, no EU stuff.... So pretty much the game is over? Please FFG make the Tie hunter it the epitome of EU!

In fact, FFG.... How about releases every quarter ,5-8 ships each ... I'd buy four each :).

Cool, no EU stuff.... So pretty much the game is over? Please FFG make the Tie hunter it the epitome of EU!

Not only is the game not getting any further expansions, but they are recalling:

The HWK-290 and all it's cards (Jan Ors, Kyle Katarn, Roark Garnet)

and the following pilots:

Howlrunner

Backstabber

Winged Gundark

Maarek Stele

Kath Scarlet

Krassis Trelix

Tycho Celchu

Soontir Fel

Turr Phennier

Fel's Wrath

Captain Kagi

Ibtisam

Major Rhymer

Captain Jonus

Like it or not, the EU has been part of this game from the very beginning.

Hrathen said:

I am really curious as to how people who disavow ANY expanded universe expect this game to live on for more than a year.

Good question.  I love the movies too, but that's only 10% of the story.

At this point so much "EU" has seeped into the entirety of Star Wars that I think people don't realize how much is right under their noses.

Exactly. The newest editions of Star Wars have the Outrider and the Imperial Sentinel-class landing craft in them, and some EU designs are based off of background ships in the Rebel fleet (not exact copies, but close approximations).

There are only 13 hours 17 minutes of movies in the 6 movies total.  Not enough there to build the universe we have come to love.

Don't forget, including prequel stuff is an outright sin to some too! So you've got to cut that usable time in half, yeah?

There are only 13 hours 17 minutes of movies in the 6 movies total.  Not enough there to build the universe we have come to love.

Don't forget, including prequel stuff is an outright sin to some too! So you've got to cut that usable time in half, yeah?

Tis true, this game specifically does not cover the prequels.  I was trying to stack the deck a bit in favor of a large number.

I like some of the EU.  I ignore the stuff I don't like.  To each his own.

However, I'm not a fan of the E-Wing.  I'm not trying to insult anybody's taste, but I just don't like the way it looks.  (I wasn't a huge fan of Dark Empire, either).

If FFG does E-Wings, cool.  I don't really care one way or the other.

What I'm really interested in is whether FFG's license extends to the upcoming sequels...and the ships in those movies.

I wanted to address the expanded universe jitters that some people seem to have. I'm not sure if everyone else who is against the eu stuff feels the same as me. I love the idea of having different ships, fulfilling different roles and everything. My beef with the eu is simple:

Ships like the xj x-wing. It's like an x-wing, only better in every conceivable way. It has:

1) more guns

2) better shields

3) more torpedos

4) better engines

5) more maneuverable

This is awesome for a book. Duh I want to see Luke in his crazy awesome new x-wing and blow the [explitive deleted] out of the sky. That kind of power creep doesn't work so well for tactical games though.

This is my fear of eu, I'm not sure if it's everyone's though.

Well, that's the trouble with going too far in either direction in time. You get the same problem if you try to make Clone Wars and earlier ships for the game; they're too weak because the technology is outdated at that point. They just have to find the sweet spot with how far forward or back they're willing to go.

?

There are only 5 movies.

A New Hope.

Empire strikes back.

Return of the Jedi.

Caravan of Courage

Ewoks and the Marauders of Endor

lol darkheart you just made me sooo want that ship in the second ewok movie! that would be awesome, and noah would be an awesome pilot for it lol.

The prequel thing like the EU thing i think can be good and bad. Personally I would like it to be a seperate game with seperate tournament format similar to the way they are doing the capital ships, but still be 100% compatable with X-wing. There are so many awesome ships in the prequels like the V-wing, the Jedi Interceptors, I also liked General Grevious and darth mauls ships.
Ultimately I beleive in FFG.

I think they have proved they know what they are doing, and that they like us are true fans of star wars. I think they will keep us happy and make sure to deliver the best ships and upgrades they can for us.

Granted no ones perfect, so im sure there will be a ship or two down the line that might not be what people want it to be, or might be a bit broken. But so far they have been hitting home runs with all the ships.

One thing i love is that the TIE fighters really work and feel like they do in the movies and EU.

They are cheap, expendable, and best in large swarms. Exactly the way that they functioned in Star Wars!

So to the dude (im to tired to look back and or qoute him lol) who said he was afraid of the EU ships replacing the classic era ships in game play, i dont see that happening.

I think we will always see TIE swarms. We will always see a super han or two. We will always see an X-wing combo usually with wedge/biggs/ or luke. Granted they will be less played then they are right now at tournaments, but thats kinda the idea with any tactical miniatures game.

You want lots of good choices and options so every game will be fun, exciting, and new!