Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dobbler

Moonboy Classic 2013 - February 1-3

100 posts in this topic

I've got the Facebook Pages Manager installed on my phone now, so that should make keeping everyone up to day with those pics and stats much easier. Expect me to be putting information up on the podcast's Facebook page.

Kennon said:

I've got the Facebook Pages Manager installed on my phone now, so that should make keeping everyone up to day with those pics and stats much easier. Expect me to be putting information up on the podcast's Facebook page.

Great news, I am looking forward to following the event so I really appreciates the updates.

More info can be found on the Facebook page, including house, agenda, restricted breakdowns, but the final results were that Zeiler's updated Targ KotHH beat my Greyjoy Maesters in the finals.

Sorry about the lack of updates on the forum, it’s way easier to post info from our phones on the Facebook page.  So pretty much everything is going to be brought over from there (with a few modifications for where Will’s info was incomplete).

We had 16 for the melee (although I didn’t play in it, just watched for the first round before I had to head out) loaded with out of towners.  I don’t have a lot of specific info about the tournament.  I know the top four were Will Lentz, Ben Terpstra, David Jones, and Luke Reed with Will Lentz winning it in the end.  I know he was playing a Martell control deck with Quentyn designed to take advantage of the different melee objectives we tried out for the tourney.  Ask him for a better description of how the objectives made the tournament ‘cause I don’t know it.

We had 24 for the joust on Saturday with 6 states represented (MO, AR, OK, IA, IL, TN) as well as three former world champions (myself, Greg Atkinson, and Luke Reed) so there was some pretty stiff competition.

House Breakdown:

Martell 3

Lannister 3

Baratheon 4

Stark 6

Greyjoy 3

Targaryen 4

Neutral 1

Agenda Breakdown:

House of Dreams 7

The Maester’s Path 3

Knights of the Hollow Hill 6

City of Shadows 1

Kings of Summer 1

Knights of the Realm 1

Treaty with the Isles 1

The Power Behind the Throne 1

Wilding (The Free Folk, The Last Giants, Blood of the First Men) 1

Unknown 2 (possibly no agenda but I will update for sure once I get my hands on decklists as I don't remember seeing any no agenda players)

Restricted Card Breakdown:

Val 2

Search and Detain 4

Fury of the Dragon 1

Narrow Escape 2

No Restricted 3

Venomous Blade 1

Fear of Winter 1

The Maester’s Path 3

Fury of the Wolf 1

The Viper’s Bannermen 3

Pyromancer’s Cache 1

Castellan of the Rock 1

Fury of the Lion 1

We played 5 rounds of Swiss (although we only needed 4 since we had 1 undefeated after that amount of time) and then a cut to top 8 after a dinner break. 

Top 8 Pairings:

Zach Bunn (Targ KotHH) v. Matt Phillips (Bara ???)

Will Lentz (Greyjoy TMP) v. Chris Kizer (Greyjoy HoD – Seastone Chair)

Greg Atkinson (Lanni Wildlings) v. Luke Reed (Stark TMP)

Brett Zeiler (Targ KotHH) v. Brett Vaughn (Stark TMP)

Top 4 Pairings:

Zach Bunn (Targ KotHH) v. Will Lentz (Greyjoy TMP)

Luke Reed (Stark TMP) v. Brett Zeiler (Targ KotHH)

Final Pairings:

Will Lentz (Greyjoy TMP) v. Brett Zeiler (Targ KotHH)

And I (Brett Zeiler) ended up winning for a Moonboy Classic two-peat after a really good game against Will (I only had one loss all day which was against Zach Bunn who was also playing Targ KotHH).  I was playing a modified version of Bruno’s worlds deck (as I tend to do I “trimmed the fat, took out the bad cards, and put in some good ones” :P) which is what I usually do when I do well in events.  I’ll post a brief tourney report later this afternoon but be looking for a more in depth one on 2 Champs 1 Chump in the next few weeks.

I’ll have top 8 decklists posted later this evening after I run by the store to grab them and get them written up.  Until then I hope this sates your thirst Dennis!

Congrats Brett.

I can hear the outcry now…"OH NO! A GOOD PLAYER WON WITH TARG KOTHH AGAIN?!?! WE NEED ERATTA/RESTRICTION! NOW!!!! 

*sigh*

widowmaker93 said:

Congrats Brett.

I can hear the outcry now…"OH NO! A GOOD PLAYER WON WITH TARG KOTHH AGAIN?!?! WE NEED ERATTA/RESTRICTION! NOW!!!! 

*sigh*

No, the exact outcry is : "OH NO! ANOTHER GOOD PLAYER WON WITH TARG KOTHH AND THERE ARE ONLY KOTHH AND MAESTERS IN TOP AGAIN ?!?! WE NEED ERATTA/RESTRICTION "PRONTO" !!!!

Looks like HOD didn't shift the meta at all. Or maybe just top players didn't take the risk.

msommi said:

widowmaker93 said:

Congrats Brett.

*sigh*

No, the exact outcry is : "OH NO! ANOTHER GOOD PLAYER WON WITH TARG KOTHH AND THERE ARE ONLY KOTHH AND MAESTERS IN TOP AGAIN ?!?! WE NEED ERATTA/RESTRICTION "PRONTO" !!!!

Looks like HOD didn't shift the meta at all. Or maybe just top players didn't take the risk.

this is more along the lines of what i was thinking. Just sad that the meta hasnt shifted one iota since worlds.

dcdennis said:

this is more along the lines of what i was thinking. Just sad that the meta hasnt shifted one iota since worlds.

To be fair, all we got since worlds was a single chapter pack with a middling agenda.

I don't think things are all that stale; the top 8 had a HoD deck, a Bara deck, and a Lanni WIldlings deck. Sure, people gravitated toward Targ KoTHH after Bruno won Worlds with it, but that was to be expected. I actually think that the MoonBoy decklists look relatively diverse. It is encouraging more than anything. 

Brett Vaughn - Stark The Maester’s Path

Characters:

Hodor x1

Arya Stark (BtNS) x1

Ser Kyle Condon x2

Follower of the Many-Faced God x3

Maester Vyman x2

Meera Reed x2

Eddard Stark (CS) x2

Maester Luwin x2

Oldtown Scholar x3

Bolton Refugee x3

Midnight Sentry x3

Leyton Hightower x1

Royal Guard x1

Carrion Bird x1

Knight of Harrenhal x1

Old Nan x2

The Conclave x1

The Kindly Man x1

Locations:

Godswood x1

Narrow Sea x2

Northern Fiefdom x3

The Citadel of Oldtown x1

Den of the Wolf

Great Keep x2

Street of Sisters x1

Lord Eddard’s Chambers x1

Events:

Dissension x3

The Hand’s Judgment x2

Paper Shield x2

No Quarter x1

Attachments:

Frozen Solid x1

Bastard x1

Maester Malleon’s Tome x1

Milk of the Poppy x2

White Raven x1

Apprentice Collar x1

Copper Link x1

Black Iron Link x1

Brass Link x1

Bronze Link x1

Tin Link x1

Valyrian Steel Link x1

Plots:

Valar Morghulis

The Minstrel’s Muse

Twist of Fate

Outwit

Respect of the Old Gods

Forgotten Plans

At the Gates

Greg Atkinson – Lannister Wildlings (Blood of the First Men, The Free Folk, The Last Giants)

Characters:

Mountain Refugee x3

Free Man x2

Carrion Bird x3

Samwell Tarly x2

Campfire Mime x3

Painted Dogs x2

Craster x1

Val x2

Varamyr Sixskins x1

Qyburn x1

Chella, Daughter of Cheyk x2

Ser Aerys Oakheart x1

Mance Rayder (AToR) x1

Orell the Eagle x1

The Wildling Horde x3

Wintertime Marauders x1

Cersei Lannister (LotR) x1

Locations:

Pentoshi Manor x3

The Iron Throne (LotR) x1

Golden Tooth Mines x3

Sunset Sea x3

The Goldroad x3

The Roseroad x1

River Row x1

Shadowblack Lane x1

Street of Steel x1

The Land Beyond the Wall x1

Events:

Dissension x2

Nightmares x2

Support of the Kingdom x3

Attachments:

Enslaved x3

Taxed Dry x3

White Raven x2

Plots:

A Time for Ravens

The Winds of Winter

Valar Morghulis

The Songs of Bael the Bard

Twist of Fate

Retaliation!

Blockade

Matt Phillips – Baratheon House of Dreams

Characters:

Knight of Flowers (KL) x1

Shireen Baratheon (SoO) x3

Bastard of Robert x1

Willas Tyrell x2

Vale Refugee x3

Acolyte of the Flame x3

Highgarden Refugee x3

Selyse Baratheon (CS) x2

Zealot of the Light x2

Dragonstone Convert x3

Melisandre (???) x3

Herald of the Stag x2

Watcher of the Nightfire x3

Locations:

Smuggler’s Cove x2

King Robert’s Chambers x1

Altar of Fire x3

Narrow Sea x3

Seat of Power x3

Street of Sisters x1

Shadowblack Lane x1

The Roseroad x2

The Searoad x2

The Iron Throne (DotN) x1

Event:

Terminal Schemes x3

Narrow Sea x3

Confession x2

Condemned by the Council x2

Attachments:

Plots:

The Red Wedding

Valar Morghulis

The Power of Faith x2

Shadows and Spiders

Many Powers Long Asleep

The Art of Seduction

Chris Kizer – Greyjoy House of Dreams

Characters:

Newly Made Lord x3

Kingsmoot Hopeful x3

Tarle the Thrice-Drowned x1

Maester Wendamyr x1

Asha Greyjoy (ToC) x3

Theon Greyjoy (ToC) x1

The Knight x1

Moqorro x1

The Sparr x1

Baelor Blacktyde x2

Gylbert Farwynd x2

Euron Crow’s Eye (ToC) x3

Aeron Damphair (KotS) x1

Drowned Disciple x1

Locations:

Sunset Sea x3

Street of Steel x1

Street of Sisters x1

Street of Silk x1

Shadowblack Lane x1

River Row x1

Ocean Road x1

Longship Iron Victory x1

Aeron’s Chambers x1

The Iron Mines x3

The Iron Cliffs x2

Scouting Vessel x3

Corpse Lake x2

Fishmonger’s Square x1

The Seastone Chair x1

Events:

Finger Dance x2

Risen from the Sea x3

Assault of the Kraken x3

Attachments:

Support of Harlaw x2

Support of Saltcliffe x1

Driftwood Crown x2

Captain of the Iron Fleet x1

Plots:

Loyalty Money Can Buy

Valar Morghulis

The Power of Blood x2

Desolate Passage

Rise of the Kraken

Search and Detain

Zach Bunn – Targaryen Knights of the Hollow Hill

Characters:

Magister Illyrio (BtNS) x3

Dragon Knight x3

Killer of the Wounded x2

Dragon Thief x2

Khal Drogo (CS) x2

Long Lances x3

Shadow Parasite x2

King’s Landing Assassin x3

Sorrowful Man x2

Young Griff x1

The Brazen Beasts x1

Lyanna Stark x1

Ser Barristan Selmy (ToC) x2

Syrio Forel x2

Locations:

Eastern Fiefdom x3

King’s Landing x2

The Dragonpit x2

The Red Keep x2

Lady Daenerys’s Chambers x1

Meereen Tourney Grounds x1

Events:

The Hatchling’s Feast x3

Incinerate x3

Forever Burning x3

Favorable Ground x2

To Be a Dragon x2

Ambush from the Plains x1

Attachments:

Flame-Kissed x3

Dragon Skull x3

Plots:

Threat from the North

Rule by Decree

Marched to the Wall

Fury of the Dragon

Valar Morghulis

City of Spiders

City of Lies

Will Lentz – Greyjoy The Maester’s Path

Characters:

Maester Murenmure x1

Maester Wendamyr x1

The Conclave x3

Carrion Bird x3

Moqorro x1

Asha Greyjoy (ToC) x1

Baelor Blacktyde x1

Distinguished Boatswain x3

Alannys Greyjoy (ToC) x1

Island Refugee x3

Oldtown Advisor x3

Leyton Hightower x1

Ser Aery’s Oakheart x1

Wex Pyke x1

Locations:

Sunset Sea x3

Shadowblack Lane x1

Street of Sisters x1

Street of Steel x1

Gatehouse x3

Longship Iron Victory x2

The Iron Mines x3

The Iron Cliffs x2

Events:

Finger Dance x3

Citadel Law x3

Dissension x3

Risen from the Sea x2

Attachments:

Apprentice Collar x1

Bronze Link x1

Copper Link x1

Gold Link x1

Lead Link x1

Tin Link x1

Valyrian Steel Link x1

Horn of Dragons x1

Plots:

A City Besieged

At the Gates

City of Sin

City of Soldiers

City of Spiders

Valar Morghulis

Songs of Bael the Bard

Brett Zeiler – Targaryen Knights of the Hollow Hill

Characters:

Carrion Bird x2

Sellsword Deserter x1

Street Waif x3

Dragon Knight x2

Dragon Theif x3

Magister Illyrio (BtNS) x1

Young Griff x1

Ser Jorah Mormont (ToC) x1

Daario Naharis (ToC) x1

Long Lances x3

Jhogo (BWB) x1

Pyat Pree x1

Company of the Cat x2

Khal Drogo (CS) x1

Daenerys Targaryen (SoO) x1

Viserion (QoD) x1

Locations:

Bay of Ice x2

Summer Sea x3

Meereenese Brothel x1

Meereen Tourney Grounds x1

Eastern Fiefdom x3

Meraxes x1

Kingsroad Fiefdom x2

Great Pyramid of Meereen x1

The Red Keep x1

Aegon’s Hill x2

Rhaenys’s Hill x1

Events:

Ambush from the Plains x2

Incinerate x2

Confession x2

Much and More x2

The Hatchling’s Feast x2

To Be a Dragon x1

Too Proud to Bow x1

Recruitment x2

Attachments:

Flame-Kissed x3

Plots:

Valar Morghulis

Marched to the Wall

The First Snow of Winter

Rule by Decree

Search and Detain

Waste Their Time

Threat from the North

And there are the top 8 Moonboy Classic 2013 decklists (aside from Luke's which I'm still waiting on)!  As promised I have a quick tourney report but tune into 2 Champs 1 Chump next week to hear a slightly more detailed version!

After seeing Bruno playing his deck at Worlds it looked like a ton of fun and built it up pretty much immediately.  It did in fact turn out to be a blast to play and once I trimmed it down to 60 and made a few swaps (the Too Proud to Bow was put in at the last minute by taking out a The Hatchling's Feast to have a little tech against wildings and maesters; it was pretty average all day until finals against WIll where it pretty much won me the game).  I'm not saying my version is any better than Bruno's although it's more to my tastes and I'd recommend giving it a try.

Round 1 I played against Danny from IA who was also playing Targ KotHH.  She told me before the game started that she hadn't every played the deck before and that someone else had given it to her to play.  If she had been a little more aggressive with Aegon's Hill and Meereen Tourney Grounds it may have changed the game but in the end I just had answers to all the guys she played and rode it out to victory. 1-0

Round 2 was against someone whose name I've honestly forgotten (sorry man I'm awful with names until I've met you several times; ask the Tulsa guys who I still get mixed up all the time!) playing Martell KotHH.  Again this would have been a very different game had he been packing Valar in his plot deck but without it he wasn't able to compensate for the guys I was killing and keeping him from winning challenges. 2-0

Round 3 was against none other than local superstar Greg Atkinson and his Lanni Wildling deck.  This was the only game all day that Rule by Decree did what it was supposed to for me (in all the others I usually played it when both players had few cards in hand just to make sure it didn't bite me later) but I did make Greg discard ~10 cards on plot 2.  I also had Aegon's Hill doing work all game which killed off several Wilding Hordes and other unique characters.  Greg did get off to an early lead in board position and power but I was able to kill off enough guys to stabilize and bring in the win just in the nick of time.  The biggest play of the game was on the last turn using Much and More into Rhaenys's Hill to steal 10ish guys out of his discard pile and swoop in for a dominant challenge phase. 3-0

Round 4 was against Brett Vaughn from AR playing a really cool Stark Maester deck.  He was playing Follower of the Many-Faced God and stalwart guys to stand his maesters with chains as well as guaranteeing he always had a board full of guys.  For the first several rounds I was playing near Brett and anytime I looked over he always had a ton of guys in play no matter what point of the game he was in.  This was a super tight game than came down to the wire.  When I won it he had 15 power but still had 1 chain left to move off his agenda.  He also played 3 Dissensions against me this game and that was pretty infuriating :P. 4-0

Round 5 was against Zach Bunn from OK playing another (very different) Targ KotHH deck.  I got pretty much stomped all game starting on plot 1: I had Much and More for the first time all day in my opening hand and used Rule by Decree as my first plot.  He had City of Lies to counter it and luckily only had 1 shadows card to put it making my Rule by Decree do nothing rather than making me discard down to 4.  Still he had all the tricks all game and I never really got a foothold leading to my first loss of the day. 4-1, making the cut as the second seed in top 8

Top 8 was against Brett Vaughn again and this game was as different as possible from our match in Swiss.  He couldn't seem to play a card I didn't have an answer to and rode it out to a pretty quick victory.

Top 4 was against Luke Reed's Stark Maesters in probably my toughest match all day (that I won at least).  He had a pretty firm grip on the game with several Northern Cavalry Flanks and 2 Northern Outposts making it pretty much impossible for me to win a challenge on attack without stealth although I did well enough in intrigues and winning a few random challenges here and there to get up to 6 or 7 power.  This game came down to time as Luke had 1 chain left of his house card I all I had to do was play defensively and keep him form moving it off for the win since he was at 12 power.  Had we been playing without time I think I probably would have had the game anyways as I had board position and he was drawing off the top every turn.

Finals was against Will Lentz and his Greyjoy Maester deck, and for the details of this game you should probably tune into the next episode of 2C1C to hear more!

Sorry, i cant resist. Im posting from my phone so it isnt pretty.

While a small sampling, it is clear as of now HOD hasnt really changed much. Maybe not as broken as suggested, and certainly no substitute for new packs in a stale meta. Congrats to the winner, but im excited for a fresh cycle.

Thanks guys for all the stats/updates here and on FB.  Congrats to the winner!

Sounds like a good turnout and a nice variety of decks/agendas/restricted cards were represented (although maybe not in the Top 4…)