Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Olethros

Is Boba Fett a bad choice?

16 posts in this topic

I don't get it, I think Boba Fett looks like the worst Unique Pilot in the FireSpray. Maybe i didin't get the potential of his ability? I not sure if he can move twice or only change the dial for the other direction?

Both Karth Scarlet and Krassis Trelix (especially that one) seems more useful. What do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt like we would see his ability used way more often then Kravis. I feel however the chick for 38 points is simply too amazing for the other 2 pilots. Ill probable be packing her in my next list, or maybe something to do with biggs+stealth genarator,+r2 F2, and Wedge with Exposed Fire. (defend with upto 6 dice :o, and attack with upto 5 dice (not to mention the agility subtraction) The rest of the list is for me to fill in the dots later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I basically won the final of the Kessel Run using her with the Heavy Laser Cannon, the gunner and expose. I Had the option of using Boba, but didin't saw any advantage in that…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Olethros said:

I basically won the final of the Kessel Run using her with the Heavy Laser Cannon, the gunner and expose. I Had the option of using Boba, but didin't saw any advantage in that…

 

hmm…it appears many id not use the assigned tournament squads.  As for Boba the ony adavatage I see is possibly bringing weapons to bear and the 1pt pilot ability.  The pilot ability can now be upgraded by 2 for cost of 1 pt.  As it stands now Kath does seem to be the better oilot with the upgrade for the same cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Trick with Boba Fett is being able to essentially change your movement at the last minute to prevent a sneaky Rebel player from blocking you, and counter-attacking with the rear-facing guns.

So say a clever X-wing pilot has predicted where you're going to go and lines up his rookie pilot directly where your (oversize) template will be. When it comes to resolving your manuver, you can go the other direction. Instead of bumping into the X-Wing and getting your attack denied, now you've gone the other way and have the sucker in your rear gun sight, most likely still at Range 1. Choose your favorite offensive action and then blast the fighter out of space.

I have to wonder about the Firespray as a whole, though. The low dodge ability (even with the stealth device) means it can't really go toe-to-toe against concentrated rebel attacks. Other fighters HAVE to be deployed to draw fire away from the Firespray while it plinks off enemies from a distance. Especially in Fett's case, since the Slave one can slap on proton torpedoes to give it great firepower at range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Norsehound said:

I have to wonder about the Firespray as a whole, though. The low dodge ability (even with the stealth device) means it can't really go toe-to-toe against concentrated rebel attacks. Other fighters HAVE to be deployed to draw fire away from the Firespray while it plinks off enemies from a distance. Especially in Fett's case, since the Slave one can slap on proton torpedoes to give it great firepower at range.

You hit the nail on the head.  I just finished playing my first scratch game against my son.  3 ship rebel build (Wedge, Luke, Ywing) and he decimated my 60 pt tricked out Boba Fett with Howlrunner, Obsedian and Academy pilot.  Removed stealth on first attack and it was all downhill from there with poor die rolls.  Managed to take out Wedge, but that was after firespray was eliminated.

Firespray is a powerful ship, but does have a glass jaw IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

afilter said:

Norsehound said:

 

I have to wonder about the Firespray as a whole, though. The low dodge ability (even with the stealth device) means it can't really go toe-to-toe against concentrated rebel attacks. Other fighters HAVE to be deployed to draw fire away from the Firespray while it plinks off enemies from a distance. Especially in Fett's case, since the Slave one can slap on proton torpedoes to give it great firepower at range.

 

 

You hit the nail on the head.  I just finished playing my first scratch game against my son.  3 ship rebel build (Wedge, Luke, Ywing) and he decimated my 60 pt tricked out Boba Fett with Howlrunner, Obsedian and Academy pilot.  Removed stealth on first attack and it was all downhill from there with poor die rolls.  Managed to take out Wedge, but that was after firespray was eliminated.

Firespray is a powerful ship, but does have a glass jaw IMO.

Its two agility is no different from an X-wings. So you can turn that argument around to be that an X-wing is a powerful ship with a glass jaw. There is a balance factor to this ship. Yes the stealth upgrade can give you an extra agility for a total of three, in addition that ship has the evade action. Plus from where I sit there is great reason to always take the heavy laser cannon over any other secondary weapon. Sure you may not get the crits, but a permanent four attack dice range 2-3 attack is really powerful. Plus you even admited that you were having poor dice rolls. One match is hardly enough to make enough to make a decision on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DeadInkPen said:

afilter said:

 

Norsehound said:

 

I have to wonder about the Firespray as a whole, though. The low dodge ability (even with the stealth device) means it can't really go toe-to-toe against concentrated rebel attacks. Other fighters HAVE to be deployed to draw fire away from the Firespray while it plinks off enemies from a distance. Especially in Fett's case, since the Slave one can slap on proton torpedoes to give it great firepower at range.

 

 

You hit the nail on the head.  I just finished playing my first scratch game against my son.  3 ship rebel build (Wedge, Luke, Ywing) and he decimated my 60 pt tricked out Boba Fett with Howlrunner, Obsedian and Academy pilot.  Removed stealth on first attack and it was all downhill from there with poor die rolls.  Managed to take out Wedge, but that was after firespray was eliminated.

Firespray is a powerful ship, but does have a glass jaw IMO.

 

 

Its two agility is no different from an X-wings. So you can turn that argument around to be that an X-wing is a powerful ship with a glass jaw. There is a balance factor to this ship. Yes the stealth upgrade can give you an extra agility for a total of three, in addition that ship has the evade action. Plus from where I sit there is great reason to always take the heavy laser cannon over any other secondary weapon. Sure you may not get the crits, but a permanent four attack dice range 2-3 attack is really powerful. Plus you even admited that you were having poor dice rolls. One match is hardly enough to make enough to make a decision on.

I agree with you.  The Fire Spray is basically a x-wing on steroids, even before you give it any upgrades.  The Heavy Laiser cannon is awsome it is basically a Proton torpedo that you can use every turn (that doesn't reuqire a target lock)

I haven't played with Boba yet, but I think the abiltiy to basically have two choices for each movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the poblem with his ability is that suppose there is someone trying to block you, and you change your direction, in your new direction he would be outside your firing arcs. at least if you collided with him, you could have someone else like vader come in and squad leader boba to lay a mine, and whoever is blocking you will eat the mine for sure on the very next turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I see it as a great placement mechanic to be able to change your movement, allot could happen before your turn and you just may need that bit of flexible movement, movement is one of the most powerful things in the game, it can take a crap army and make it a winner if you plan you movement rights. I think it will just take practice before players realize how to move Boba right and how to maximize his rule. As proven by a battle report i read today a simple barrel roll moved the Falcon out of vaders firing arc. 

I find its rules like this that are understated at first turn out to be some of the more powerful game changers when the rule is mastered. Give some practice and a lot of thought before you give up, try crazy things and see how your opponent reacts. Sometime simply having a power like this changes how an opponent will react to you and her/his movement will reflect that, learn to anticipate these changes and take advantage of them.

I won my Kessel run by doing the unexpected, in all my games I played (all 4) I only lost one ship in total. The first game I took no damage save some shield tokens. Movement was key, I started the games one one half of the map staring down at the other ships on the other half. There first move was strait at me with 4 every game, mine? Well I took a hard right away from his advance so that he would have to enter the asteroid fields from the side to get at me. It worked every time and I kept going doing unexpected moves to limit the number of ships he fired with and keeping a target in sight for all my ships. Movement is key and any rule that helps with movement is worth its weight in gold, it will just take time to get used to it.

Just my 2 cents.

 

also 39 points for a maneuver of 2 is not bad, try Han for 46 points with only 1 defense dice. =P

I think that all the big ships are viable and worth a go in lists but they did not make them soo powerful that they were auto includes or must haves to have a chance at winning. There just another option.  

-Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duraham said:

the poblem with his ability is that suppose there is someone trying to block you, and you change your direction, in your new direction he would be outside your firing arcs. at least if you collided with him, you could have someone else like vader come in and squad leader boba to lay a mine, and whoever is blocking you will eat the mine for sure on the very next turn.

That's not a problem with his ability.  That's a complete other tactic all together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ScottieATF said:

Duraham said:

 

the poblem with his ability is that suppose there is someone trying to block you, and you change your direction, in your new direction he would be outside your firing arcs. at least if you collided with him, you could have someone else like vader come in and squad leader boba to lay a mine, and whoever is blocking you will eat the mine for sure on the very next turn.

 

 

That's not a problem with his ability.  That's a complete other tactic all together.

 


I agree, don't think of it as a a skill only used to avoid hitting someone move, it could be used that way but it has a other uses, Use it to avoid fire arcs, or get a good angle on something, or even getting into range band one of an enamy ship that happened to move in the other direction then you thought it would move. It allows you to react to something that normally you would be powerless to do anything about. But don't limit your mindset to avoiding hitting other models, and think about the freedom it give boba in his games he has some real power to react to things. Also you could modify his engines to make him even more flexible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Olethros said:

I basically won the final of the Kessel Run using her with the Heavy Laser Cannon, the gunner and expose. I Had the option of using Boba, but didin't saw any advantage in that…

 

I did not like the Heavy Laser Cannon as you can not fire backwarsds with it :(

 

i tried it but was told as it dose not state on the card it can be used to fire backwards as stated in the rules on Slave 1 booklet 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TimeLapse said:

I agree, don't think of it as a a skill only used to avoid hitting someone move, it could be used that way but it has a other uses, Use it to avoid fire arcs, or get a good angle on something, or even getting into range band one of an enamy ship that happened to move in the other direction then you thought it would move. It allows you to react to something that normally you would be powerless to do anything about. But don't limit your mindset to avoiding hitting other models, and think about the freedom it give boba in his games he has some real power to react to things. Also you could modify his engines to make him even more flexible. 

Thanks for posting this so I don't have to. (c:

Fett's ability allows you to react to the changing amount of information on the table in a way no other pilot can. It's not hard to think of ways you can use it on the board, but that's only half of what it does: it also changes the way a smart opponent will look at and think about Fett's movement.

And as you point out, his ability is magnified if you also buy an Engine Upgrade. Most ships have one possible place they can be when they complete their movement, and it's chosen without seeing where on the table any other ship is. Fett with Boost has six choices, and you see them after most other ships have already moved for the turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DeadInkPen said:

afilter said:

 

Norsehound said:

 

I have to wonder about the Firespray as a whole, though. The low dodge ability (even with the stealth device) means it can't really go toe-to-toe against concentrated rebel attacks. Other fighters HAVE to be deployed to draw fire away from the Firespray while it plinks off enemies from a distance. Especially in Fett's case, since the Slave one can slap on proton torpedoes to give it great firepower at range.

 

 

You hit the nail on the head.  I just finished playing my first scratch game against my son.  3 ship rebel build (Wedge, Luke, Ywing) and he decimated my 60 pt tricked out Boba Fett with Howlrunner, Obsedian and Academy pilot.  Removed stealth on first attack and it was all downhill from there with poor die rolls.  Managed to take out Wedge, but that was after firespray was eliminated.

Firespray is a powerful ship, but does have a glass jaw IMO.

 

 

Its two agility is no different from an X-wings. So you can turn that argument around to be that an X-wing is a powerful ship with a glass jaw. There is a balance factor to this ship. Yes the stealth upgrade can give you an extra agility for a total of three, in addition that ship has the evade action. Plus from where I sit there is great reason to always take the heavy laser cannon over any other secondary weapon. Sure you may not get the crits, but a permanent four attack dice range 2-3 attack is really powerful. Plus you even admited that you were having poor dice rolls. One match is hardly enough to make enough to make a decision on.

 

By all means I was not trying declare a trend based on one game.  I was just stating that it is vulnerable to being ganged up on and can be beat especially if your die roles are sub par.

The other issue that I struggled with in my tournament game as well as the game at home is keeping it at distance.  Everytime you move your are advancing an minimum of 3 distance because the base is a two.  This means that you have 1 maybe two rounds before the rebels can move in or you have to circle taking away your heavy cannon as they cannot fire out the back arc.

I am just saying it is powerful, but does have some vulnerabilities and can be beat even by standard rebel squads currently in the game.

When you match the tie and x-wing they basically equal each other out on attack and defense at range two.  The firespray starts at a disadvantage on defence against most rebel weapons and because of the size it is likely to bump into things and lose the ability to evade. Definately does bette ron an open map…..in tight asteroid field manuverability is going to be an issue.

It will be interesting to see how different strategies develop over time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won the Slave at one of the KR events I attended, but haven't played with it outside of the two grand final matches yet.  With that being said, it is a toss up on the pilots for me.  Though I did love using Kath in the final, I found that the build they gave us (Heavy laser cannon, mercenary copilot) didn't cater toward her ability.  In fact playing the Imps in two grand final matches, it never came into play once.  The problem is that as awesome as the HLC is, you can't get crits, except 1 at range 3 if you have the mercenary copilot or 1 on a focus with marksmanship.  So in order to make use of Kath's ability, you either need to be using just her primary weapon, or secondaries that can do crits.  So now I look at Boba Fett, and he only costs 1 point more for an extra pilot skill and an ability that I personally find indespensible.  If you play the game well, you don't need me to tell you that maneuver is absolutely the most important part of being successful at this game.  Krassis is so close to being awesome.  I'm not saying he is bad, and he has a solid ability, but only a mid-range pilot skill and no medallion icon.  I would take him without a second guess if he had that medallion icon and I could throw marksmanship or veteran pilot on him.  Now of course I'm not taking synergy into account with anyone, because you could easily have Krassis hitting at step 8 or 9.

 

Of course the Slave (and Falcon too) can become easy focus targets, but after playing a 3 ship Rebel list (where every ship is going to be 30 or more points worth) so is Wedge, or Horton, or anyone else for that matter.  If you look right at the base stats of the Slave, it is an x-wing with doubled hull and shields.  So that gives it probably around double the survivability, when you consider it has evasion but x-wings can take droids.  Krassis with a HLC is only 7 more points than the Wedge I brought to KR.

 

The bottom line is that from my experience so far, this game is very well balanced, and the new wave is no excpetion.  Just look at the KR thread and check out the myriad of different lists that the winners used.  It comes down to making a list that can work together, yet where no one model is the lynchpin (this is why I would never, however, field a fully kitted out Fett), and player skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0