Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lurkeroutthere

40K/FFG Really needs to understand or settle on how Astropaths Work

29 posts in this topic

The problem with Astropaths is that they have to UNDERSTAND the message completely before sending it! So you need to tell them the actual unencoded message, so they can then translate it into a cypher.  If you don't understand why this is an INNATE HUGE SECURITY RISK… than, well, I can't help you…

Yeah, no they don't.

It has, in fact, been stated in several different places throughout the fluff, that an Astropath does NOT need to have to understand the content of a message, to transmit it.

Blood Pact said:

HappyDaze said:

I don't believe the claims that the typical Librarian is better at sending/receiving astropathic messages than an Astropath Transcendent. For most Librarians it might be a useful power to develop, but it's not their focus. OTOH, for almost every AT, it's their primary purpose.

It's more because Librarians are chosen as much for their raw power as they are for their worthiness of becoming a Space Marine. The Astartes and the Inquisition pretty much seem to get the first pick off the Black Ships, with everyone else getting to sort through those deemed unsuitable for whatever reasons. And no, this doesn't necessarily contradict anything written in the fluff. The psykers getting herded off to be fed to the Emperor or Astronomicon get the shaft because they're too weak to be safe, or of any other use. But in general, one can assume that the very cream of the crop, best and brightest, come to the scrutiny of those two groups before anyone else.

I grant that Librarians tend to be among the more powerful psykers, but I still say that Astropath Transcendents should far exceed them in ability where Astopathic communication is concerned. The Librarian has his focus on battlefield psychic powers, all manner of lores, and on the general super-killyness of being a Space Marine. That's a rather wide focus already, so I think giving the ATs one area in which they exceed the ability of Librarians is perfectly reasonable. I don't think any Librarian should be able to perform Astropathic communication on the level of an AT with a choir for backup because that's precisely what AT is literally made to do best.

I agree actually, and I think their form of communication is more specialized than what Astropaths primarily use, at any rate. If only because they are more varied in their powers, and often focused on the martial applications of them.

Without cracking open my books, I recall a psychic power where two pyskers can make a telepathic connection than transcends distance, which would go a ways to explaining things. And it'd be much less useful on a wider scale than the method of using Astropathic choirs.