Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GrandSpleen

Image theft?

5 posts in this topic

I was on Facebook today and I noticed this advertisement on the side of the page (see below).  The ad is for a Facebook game called Stormfall: Age of War, and it uses art from the Lord of the Rings LCG -- namely, Boromir from Path of Need.  The game is developed by a company called Plarium, which, so far as I know, has no connection to FFG.  Unless they are both owned by some parent corporation?  Anyway, I thought I'd post here and see if anyone knows more than I do.  Is this copyright infringement?

dayaftertomorrow.png

I wouldnt make too much of it.  Facebook is famous for using images posted on facebook.  So if someone posted a picture of path of need facebook may have a macro that searched their database saw it and matched it to the ad.  Same thing happens to your friends.  If you see a friend of yours in an advertisement its because facebook is a bunch of D-Bags and that is how they opperate.

Someone once told me a good line about services once:  if you are not paying for the product its because you are the product. 

But still they should really follow this up while the above is true, facebook games are/used to be notorious for using copyright material so they could get quick cash with very little in the way of effort.

Facebook will remove the image if FFG sends a note to them, but till then…

flightmaster101 said:

Someone once told me a good line about services once:  if you are not paying for the product its because you are the product. 

Good one.