Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Cartwright

Am I Dreaming? (New FAQ available)

Krysmopompas said:

Good news. 

On a different note, does anyone know where I can get the Oliver Grayson card? Do I have to buy a book or can I write in, and how effective is that?

cheers

The Ally was only available with the book. I think you can easily download it from the BGG (or just PM me your e-mail address so that I can send you, as you prefer), if you don't mind to print the card and play with home-printed material.

As for his effectiveness… well', he's a tough guy. Remember there are no specific encounters allowing you to gain that Ally, you can only recruit him at Ma's if he's one of the 11 Allies of your game. So… I - personally - sleep very well at night even without playing with him

Thanks once again, Julia - I have downloaded the PDF, but would like to throw him in as a random ally if possible. The slight OCD in me that FFG exploits with my permission:) 

Is FFG still handing out copies after you mail in the request from Ghouls of the Miskatonic?

(and just so I'm still on topic - appreciate the new FAQs)

Not so sure if only a "first run" had the bonus card, if it's granted until they run out of cards, or if you're entitled to have it even if you pick up the book in the next century. IIRC, the book had a format you have to send over to FFG to have then the card shipped back.

Anyway, maybe you can have a quicker answer by posting your question in the books forum (here) or simply by e-mailing FFG customer service. They usually are very quick, very kind, and offer a really good service

And so the day has come at last!  I've been away from the forums for a while, what with finals and holiday festivities.  Little did I know that I was missing history in the making.

I'm mostly satisfied with the answers given, with a few exceptions.  For one, I'm irritated by the lack of an answer regarding Falcon Point.  I mean, was giving an extra encounter really the intent?  Or has no one at FFG noticed that yet?  In terms of answers actually given, I'm rather surprised by the ruling on the Dark Druid.  Not only is it somewhat unintuitive, but it can lead to some nasty situations.  (Imagine a Dark Young perpetually parked in the streets.)  Although I'm troubled by the Find Gate/nightgaunt ruling (as detailed by others in another thread), the most frustrating for me is the ruling on the Acts.  I mean…WHY?  What is gained by having ancillary draws trigger them?  Why would the creation of a Servant of Glaaki speed the play along?  It just seems pointless, both thematically and mechanically.

Walk said:

the most frustrating for me is the ruling on the Acts.  I mean…WHY?  What is gained by having ancillary draws trigger them?  Why would the creation of a Servant of Glaaki speed the play along?  It just seems pointless, both thematically and mechanically.

I think I misunderstood. Ancillary draws are not supposed to trigger them, and I thought that was finalized?

Tibs said:

Walk said:

the most frustrating for me is the ruling on the Acts.  I mean…WHY?  What is gained by having ancillary draws trigger them?  Why would the creation of a Servant of Glaaki speed the play along?  It just seems pointless, both thematically and mechanically.

I think I misunderstood. Ancillary draws are not supposed to trigger them, and I thought that was finalized?

I think they did a lot of mess on this issue. First we have this FAQ:

Q: If a special ability activates by the drawing of a Mythos Card, such as Ghroth’s Mystic ability (Herald) [KH], when does it activate? Are these special abilities activated if Mythos Cards are drawn for ancillary information, such as to find a gate location for a new Servant of Glaaki (Monster) [DH]?
A: The special ability is resolved before any part of the Mythos card is resolved. The ability is only triggered if the Mythos Card is being resolved in full.

So, since you don't resolve the full Mythos Card for placing a servant, you shouldn't trigger the Acts as well, but then we have another FAQ (the very last one):

Q: Do Environment mythos cards trigger Act cards even if their mythos ability is not activated? Do they trigger Act cards even if they are discarded and another card is drawn? Do they trigger Act cards if they are drawn for some ancillary reason and are not resolved?
A: Yes to all of these, provided the card was drawn during the Mythos Phase. Note that if multiple cards are drawn during the Mythos Phase, immediately after each is drawn players will always have an opportunity to return an Act card to the top of the Act deck.

I know that the Act mechanics is different from a mechanics triggered by drawning of cards, but still, I don't see a logical consistency between the two different rulings. If drawing a Mythos card for placing a Servant does not trigger Groth's ability, then why it should trigger the Next Act card? Anyway, this is not an FAQ I'll play with

I second that, Julia!  Overall, they did a credible job pulling together the myriad pieces from across the forum and Chris, Brian, and Avi certainly did yeoman's work in attempting to maintain consistency.  Unfortunately, with nearly 3,000 cards across multiple expansions, keeping it all straight would prove an absolute nightmare.  I'm frankly surprised by its publication at all, even with the handful of errors we've noted, thus far.

The Professor said:

I second that, Julia!  Overall, they did a credible job pulling together the myriad pieces from across the forum and Chris, Brian, and Avi certainly did yeoman's work in attempting to maintain consistency.  Unfortunately, with nearly 3,000 cards across multiple expansions, keeping it all straight would prove an absolute nightmare.  I'm frankly surprised by its publication at all, even with the handful of errors we've noted, thus far.

While I'm happy for a big, juicy FAQ, I'm somehow also comforted by the fact that there are a number of errors in said FAQ. I mean, the typo I have on my Leo Anderson card ("once per game…"), my Jaqueline Fine card ("the Phycic"), my Wilson Richards card ("mororcycle")…as much as I absolutely love AH, it doesn't really feel like a FFG unless there are a good number of typos or confusing rules in the game.

It seems clear to me that the last answer, about environments, was meant to be talking about Ithaqua and Ctugha.  That is, if you draw a Mythos card as your normal Mythos card for the turn, you resolve the Act on it even if it's a Weather card and thus get discarded without effect. It's just clarifying that the Act is part of the stat line with the gate and the clue, not part of the text of the special ability.

FAQ errors are comforting. When I need to make a ruling that contradicts the FAQ, I need only point to the Martial Law/Monsters answer and say "see? The FAQ isn't infallible."