Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beardonaut

Last PC - what should I use?

8 posts in this topic

I am preparing my second run through The Haarlock Legacy as GM. I have rewritten and expanded it extensively (see post in Game Master section in case you're curious) and will use pre-written characters. I have four done and I am conflicted about the fifth. Hence, this post. I would like suggestions for a fifth character based on what I already have.

The characters serve an Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus, who is a member of the Ocularians, and a group of Magi of the Adeptus Mechanicus. They are at 3000 xp from the start and in some cases I use multiple alternate careers and/or background passages for the characters, to make them fit into the campaign. My GM style is very storytelling oriented, and I avoid rolling the dice as often as I can. Still, Skills and Talents are important, since they still define what the characters know.

So what I have so far:
- Lucian Matellus. Noble. Adept. Alternate Career: Malefic Scholar. Sworn Radical (Ocularians). Daemonologist.
- Xerxes Kurta. Forge World. Tech-priest. Alternate Careers: Factor of the Lathes, Agent of the Lords Dragon. Diplomat and intelligence agent.
- Alexander Barrachine. Forge World. Guard. Alternate Career: Crimson Guard. Assigned as bodyguard to Kurta.
- Mikail Laester. Darkholder. Scum. Alternate Career: Reclaimator. Former Cold Trader, caught and sworn to service with the Adeptus Mechanicus.

The fifth character should be someone serving the Inquisitor and not the Mechanicus. Initially I was thinking about a psyker, a diviner, but Matellus sort of serves that purpose. Still, it might be a good choice. I don't need another combat monster, but an Arbitrator focused on investigation might also work. In any case, I want the character to have a twist or two, like those above.

Suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a diviso moralis arbite, a loner detective.

 

or a cleric from the heretical schola progenium world in RHB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a Psyker would 'round out' the group best. Maybe give him/her the Mindwiped background (from Inquisitor's Handbook), and have him/her be the only survivor of your Inquisitor's previous attempt to unlock the Haarlock mystery…?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

beardonaut said:

So what I have so far:
- Lucian Matellus. Noble. Adept. Alternate Career: Malefic Scholar. Sworn Radical (Ocularians). Daemonologist.
- Xerxes Kurta. Forge World. Tech-priest. Alternate Careers: Factor of the Lathes, Agent of the Lords Dragon. Diplomat and intelligence agent.
- Alexander Barrachine. Forge World. Guard. Alternate Career: Crimson Guard. Assigned as bodyguard to Kurta.
- Mikail Laester. Darkholder. Scum. Alternate Career: Reclaimator. Former Cold Trader, caught and sworn to service with the Adeptus Mechanicus.

The fifth character should be someone serving the Inquisitor and not the Mechanicus. Initially I was thinking about a psyker, a diviner, but Matellus sort of serves that purpose. Still, it might be a good choice. I don't need another combat monster, but an Arbitrator focused on investigation might also work. In any case, I want the character to have a twist or two, like those above.

Suggestions?

Well, Lucian Matellus sounds more like an Acolyte for a Xanthite instead of an Occularian. But that was not the question…

How about an Imperial Diviner? A Psyker with Divination as his chosen discipline and with the option of taking the Imperial Diviner Alternate Career Rank from RH. The IH has a Background Package for Psykers IIRC that have a sort of dark twist. Maybe that would fit as well.

A Scum or Cleric with Demagogue, Infil-Traitor or Saboteur as Alternate Caree Rank (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/dark-heresy/pdf/Salvation%20Demands%20Sacrifice%20%28Web%20Quality%29.pdf) could also fit in my view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Louisp said:

Maybe a diviso moralis arbite, a loner detective.

 

or a cleric from the heretical schola progenium world in RHB.




I am leaning towards an Arbitrator, possibly combined with the Adeptus-B's suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adeptus-B said:

I think a Psyker would 'round out' the group best. Maybe give him/her the Mindwiped background (from Inquisitor's Handbook), and have him/her be the only survivor of your Inquisitor's previous attempt to unlock the Haarlock mystery…?




Very good suggestion, sir. I may even reuse some aspects of a character from the current group. Thanks. A Psyker is probably out of the question, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luthor Harkon said:

beardonaut said:

 

So what I have so far:
- Lucian Matellus. Noble. Adept. Alternate Career: Malefic Scholar. Sworn Radical (Ocularians). Daemonologist.
- Xerxes Kurta. Forge World. Tech-priest. Alternate Careers: Factor of the Lathes, Agent of the Lords Dragon. Diplomat and intelligence agent.
- Alexander Barrachine. Forge World. Guard. Alternate Career: Crimson Guard. Assigned as bodyguard to Kurta.
- Mikail Laester. Darkholder. Scum. Alternate Career: Reclaimator. Former Cold Trader, caught and sworn to service with the Adeptus Mechanicus.

The fifth character should be someone serving the Inquisitor and not the Mechanicus. Initially I was thinking about a psyker, a diviner, but Matellus sort of serves that purpose. Still, it might be a good choice. I don't need another combat monster, but an Arbitrator focused on investigation might also work. In any case, I want the character to have a twist or two, like those above.

Suggestions?

 

 

Well, Lucian Matellus sounds more like an Acolyte for a Xanthite instead of an Occularian. But that was not the question…

How about an Imperial Diviner? A Psyker with Divination as his chosen discipline and with the option of taking the Imperial Diviner Alternate Career Rank from RH. The IH has a Background Package for Psykers IIRC that have a sort of dark twist. Maybe that would fit as well.

A Scum or Cleric with Demagogue, Infil-Traitor or Saboteur as Alternate Caree Rank (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/dark-heresy/pdf/Salvation%20Demands%20Sacrifice%20%28Web%20Quality%29.pdf) could also fit in my view.




Yes, Lucian does appear that way. However, the Pact from Thy Name I Keep is one I wrote myself called Pact of Past, Present and Future, which gives him divination abilities, among other things.

I like the Diviner and that was my first obvious choice before Lucian came alive, considering the Ocularians' focus on prophecy and divination. A Cleric Demagogue is an excellent suggestion. Would also fit well with the group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If their not playing Adepts and Clerics they aint making them interesting for themselves, more bad luck than bad planing the Adept that got himself killed in last nights game would have bean interesting if he'd lived, bacause the player made hin interesting not bacause the Career was combat capible. the Preist in tonights game though combat capible isn't a good character bacause he can hold his own in a fight, but bacause hi's interesting in how messed up he is (for starters he's a represed transvestite bisexual who's passing himself off as a Sororitas, and he gets stranger from there).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0