Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zachbunn

The Trench Run - Rules Question

50 posts in this topic

Toqtamish said:

It is engaged like an objective. Objectives can be engaged only once. So the Death Star dial can be engaged once like an objective.

ok, just to throw in the wren lets add Wookiee Navigator.  Lets say his conditions are met, can you attack the Death Star again?

flightmaster101 said:

Toqtamish said:

It is engaged like an objective. Objectives can be engaged only once. So the Death Star dial can be engaged once like an objective.

ok, just to throw in the wren lets add Wookiee Navigator.  Lets say his conditions are met, can you attack the Death Star again?

That's a card effect that interacts with an objective, which the FAQ states doesn't apply to the dial.

So here's one that I've not seen addressed anywhere, including the newly released FAQ. Perhaps because it may be so mind-numbingly obvious that I shouldn't even ask…

With Trench Run in play, could you engage each of the enemy's objectives, AND the dial, for a total of four engagements in a turn?

DailyRich said:

flightmaster101 said:

Toqtamish said:

That's a card effect that interacts with an objective, which the FAQ states doesn't apply to the dial.

Bummer,  that was the basis for my rebel deck.

and I meant *wrench, durn forum lag.

I believe you can engage the three objectives and the death star dial.  ( To be on the safe side, don't engage the dial last? ). The rules don't limit the number of engagements in total, just that after each resolved engagement you go back to the conflict phase, and that you may not engage the same objective twice. The rules do state that you have to move to the force phase if you are unable to declare attackers.

I am very new to Star Wars lcg and had this card played on me in a recent game. I think the card is much simpler then what some of the comments are making it to be.

It is simply an enhancement to  the Death Star Dial itself. An enhancement that can't be targeted by cards that target enhancements. It can be engaged by the LS player during the Conflict Phase like it is a DS objective. It is not an objective in the sense that it can't be targeted, damaged or destroyed by cards with actions such as "Destroy target objective".

It can only be damaged via conflict with a striking unit and unopposed damage. Damage is dealt in the form of damage TOKENS so once the Death Star Dial has 10 or more damage tokens on it, the LS player wins. This damage has nothing to do with the little number in the window. That number keeps advancing to 12 under the normal rules so if it reaches 12 before 10 damage tokens are placed on it by the LS player, the DS player wins. In  essence it works like the Heart of the Empire Objective only its tougher to destroy since damage to it is very focused.   :)

I am very new to Star Wars lcg and had this card played on me in a recent game. I think the card is much simpler then what some of the comments are making it to be.

It is simply an enhancement to  the Death Star Dial itself. An enhancement that can't be targeted by cards that target enhancements. It can be engaged by the LS player during the Conflict Phase like it is a DS objective. It is not an objective in the sense that it can't be targeted, damaged or destroyed by cards with actions such as "Destroy target objective".

It can only be damaged via conflict with a striking unit and unopposed damage. Damage is dealt in the form of damage TOKENS so once the Death Star Dial has 10 or more damage tokens on it, the LS player wins. This damage has nothing to do with the little number in the window. That number keeps advancing to 12 under the normal rules so if it reaches 12 before 10 damage tokens are placed on it by the LS player, the DS player wins. In  essence it works like the Heart of the Empire Objective only its tougher to destroy since damage to it is very focused.   :)

Good job on summarizing it.  This isn't as difficult to understand as everyone keeps making it.  Talk about overthinking something!  lol

That's not entirely fair because the discussion was back before the FAQ clarification came out. People were trying to understand the implications of a card that broke a lot of game rules and it did need that further explanation.

Edited by PBrennan

Correct. The FAQ is your friend.

"Because the Death Star dial is explicitly not an objective, card effects that interact with objectives do not interact with the Death Star dial. When engaged as an objective, the Death Star dial may be damaged by framework effects only (see “(4.4) Framework Effects” on page 4). This is limited to blast damage and unopposed damage."

GroggyGolem likes this

Alrighty, so the proper use of Trench Run is either beginning of game or in edge battles for it's 2 Force Icons. Cool beans.

Edited by GroggyGolem

Alrighty, so the proper use of Trench Run is either beginning of game or in edge battles for it's 2 Force Icons. Cool beans.

For sure. First turn, or second turn if you use your first turn to set up for a big hit on it. I like dropping Rogue 3/Wedge first turn, maybe due a crap attack. Second turn, hope he has poor defences and drop Trench Run with a few other things and do 6-10 damage on the first hit.

Stepping away from the whole debate about what the dial not being an objective means... this thing needs errata for another issue.  "This enhancement cannot be targeted" needs to become "this enhancement is not affected by the effects of any other card," because Turbolaser Battery exists.

Stepping away from the whole debate about what the dial not being an objective means... this thing needs errata for another issue.  "This enhancement cannot be targeted" needs to become "this enhancement is not affected by the effects of any other card," because Turbolaser Battery exists.

Maybe they mean to do it that way? The turbolaser looks like it is one from the Death Star...

When your trying to figure out how to play with trench run ask yourself this.

Does interpreting the rules this way make trench run a playable card?  If yes, then your misinterpreting the card and use the opposite ruling for the duration of play.

FFG designed a card that broke a lot of rules for relatively no reason... out side of RP.  The card adds a lot of confusion because we interpret most cards literally were in this card because of the "it is but its not" condition we have to go through each scenario and ask ourselves does this apply to 1 pool or the other.  Its a bad card though, dont play with it and that solves a lot of the rule issues.

Magni 

It feels good under my bridge right now, nice damp and out of the sun.

I can't speak for the proofing team or the Hoth playtest team, but I don't think we have any reason to believe that Turbolaser Battery's ability to take out a take out Trench Run is a mistake.

Interesting side note: redeploying Trench Run works in that case as the damage tokens are on the dial and not the enhancement card.

Toqtamish likes this

Yep, I'd say Turbolaser Battery is written exactly as it's intended.

As the meta evolves away from core, Trench Run becomes more and more a carnival card (if it didn't start that way anyways) - there for the fun of it, not so much the serious.

Toqtamish likes this

I'm more interested to have a clear ruling for the Wookiee Navigator, as the card doesn't go to the extent of clarifying if we can engage the Dial again - if it is considered objective during the engagement for the terms of engaging an objective, there is no ruling that can stop you from engaging it twice due to WN's effect, as it will be still considered objective for the terms of engaging it a second time - the reaction will kick before the end of the engagement (before Engagement end window).

Wookiee Navigator

Reaction: After this unit survives an engagement as an attacker, you may engage this same objective an additional time this phase.

Edited by BoardGames.BG

This was asked directly to Nate (the following courtesy of Jason Blakeney at BGG):

Rule Question:
A friend of mine was wondering whether Trench Run enables him to attack the Death Star dial more than one time per turn. Since the dial is not an objective, does the limitation still apply?

Nate's Response:

Once per turn.

You engage the dial as if it's an objective, so all restrictions on engaging an objective apply to engaging the dial as well.

Follow-up Rule Question:

Actually, as an after thought, does this mean that Wookie Navigator can actually attack it twice?

Nate's Response:

No. The Wookiee Navigator Reaction triggers and looks for "the same objective." Since the dial is not an objective, as per the text on Trench Run, the reaction effect finds no valid means of resolving.

4wallz likes this

Sorry for necromantic, but does all above means, that Shield cannot be applied to Death Star dial by units with "Shield"?

Sorry for necromancy, but does all above means, that Shield cannot be applied to Death Star dial by units with "Shielding"?

The dial is not an objective so you are correct.