Sign in to follow this  
bwaltersdorff

Kessel Run Questions (match time limits)

Help my venue is running the Kessel Run and I have a question.

My venue is forcing players to bring both 100 points of Imp and 100 points of Reel.  They are going to do a random sides drawing when match-ups are assigned to decide what's army the players play.  I love this idea because it ensures no rebel vs rebel or Imp vs Imp match-ups.  Any way, the question arose as to how long to make each match.  I've done some general play testing my armies and I can not get a 100 point game under 2 hours.  If the venue gets 16 players (the max that they can fit on their gaming tables) we will never finish the tournament.  The tournament is to run Sunday from 2pm until 7pm (when the store closes).  How long is everyone taking to play through 100 point matches?  Should they cut it to 1 hour match and follow the guidelines for scoring from the tournament doc?  

Thanks, I appreciate any responses.

Brian

the OP states that 60 min is the format limit, this tends to be an industry standard… Heroclix, DDM and SWM as well as Magic use this as a standard 

this sounds like a personal discipline problem…

our shop has been 'practicing' games at 40 mins for quite a while… and as a result our player do qite well with the 60 min limit

an experienced player 'should' know their squad well enough that regardless of how their opponent moves or attacks, they will be able to make decisive decisions in a timley manner…

additionally the TO (tournament organizer) should be prepaired to set up matches and begin each round in a quick fashon, calling our time checks periodically (at the 30 min mark, the 10, and the final few min.)

looking back at your question

I would also comment that 'forcing' players to bring in 2 seperate squads is just … flawed…

atontado

not only does this add to the time sink and delay of games but (IMO) it also adds a level of poor spirited competition…

What if I don't want to play Rebels… ?

what if I can't afford 2 full squads…?

what's wrong with rebels vs rebels…?

I also don't like the forced back and forth… someone is going to have a run of playing one squad throug out AND I think this is an open door for cheating

As far as time goes, the tournament rules state between 60-75 minute rounds, which can be adjusted to fit the store needs. 50 minutes is more than enough time to determine a winner in each match. 60 would be enough overall though. Tournamnets have a pressure factor with time, and when you put yourself on a clock, you will make decisions faster also. 

As far as the 2 build ruling, if your shop determines that is the way they are playing it, then that is the way it is. Tournament rules from Fantasy Flight state one army is played throughout without changes. I don't agree myself with what your store is doing, but it is their choice. Using that setup will create inconsistencies in the tournament since one build may be stronger than the other for a single player. Good luck. I hope you do well.

I personally love the random pull of which army gets used and is why I have selected this venue to play at.  I believe it makes it a little tougher because you have two be good at both rebels and imperials.  I don't play in any games where same sides can fight, it's just a personal preference.

The store always stocks plenty of product so someone could purchase another army if they need to.

bwaltersdorff said:

The store always stocks plenty of product so someone could purchase another army if they need to.

You can all but guarentee that this is what is going through the stores mind with that rule. It's a good way for them to recoup thier losses on the KRT kit.

I would think however, that the rule (which contradicts the official rules kit) is likely to keep more people away then it is to attract them.

I would happily play in this type of tournament if it was a stand alone tourney, as I too like to see Rebel v Imperial and enjoy playing both sides, but I disagree with using it for an official tournament that has 'cells' operating world wide.

bwaltersdorff said:

I personally love the random pull of which army gets used and is why I have selected this venue to play at.  I believe it makes it a little tougher because you have two be good at both rebels and imperials.  I don't play in any games where same sides can fight, it's just a personal preference.

bwaltersdorff, it seems we are in the minority around here concerning the Two Force Tourney. I won't rehash my argument here.

As for time, I find I am still having trouble with the 75 minute limit. I just spend too much time thinking durring the Planning Phase. I'm getting faster, but only with experience.

I'm looking forward to the KR weekend. I have the opportunity to play in three of them. While I know I am in no danger of winning anything, I look foward to play a verity of opponents in different Cities. Nothing beats experience.