Sign in to follow this  
mathieu_fontaine

Performance Artist

Performance Artist

Disrupt: Sacrifice Performance Artist to cancel the effects of a character or support card ability.

Question: Is that ability cancel until the end of the game or until the end of the turn? For example, I use it to cancel the ability on a "Shadowed Reef" which gives a terror icon to every deep ones, does the location lose it's ability until the end of the turn of the game?

Thanks!

akaranseth said:

Question answered! Thank you!

I don't see the answer here, but the answer is: Only triggered abilities (Action:, Response:, Forced Response: and Disrupt:) can be cancelled.

I was browsing through the forum and found this interesting thread that, to my mind, doesn't appear to have been resolved.

"Disrupt: Sacrifice Performance Artist to cancel the effects of a character of support card."

So, to refer to the original posters scenario:  Performance Artist certainly does seem to say it can cancel the effects of a support card.  And Shadowed Reef is a location support card.  So it seems clear that Performance Artist can indeed cancel the effects of Shadowed Reef.

The Disrupt action is usually considered a triggered event, but Shadowed Reef appears to only have a Passive Effect: "Deep One characters gain a Terror icon." , upon which a Disrupt cannot work.  Unlike, say, on Shotgun: "Action: Pay 1 to choose and wound a character commited to this story".  Now that's a definite trigger that the Artist could Disrupt.  But that's an interpretation, the wording on Performance Artist isn't so restrictive.

So it appears initially that Performace Artist cannot stop the effects of Shdowed Reef, which seems unfair, since the wording makes it seems possible:  Sacrifice the arstist to cancel the effects of a...support card.  In reality, either the Disrupt should have been an Action, or it should have added something like  "cancel effects of a...support card ability."

However, I suggest that in fairness to the Artist, she should be able to cancel the effect of Shdowed Reef, but with the following restriction.  In the FAQ under Duration of Effects, it says "If a triggered ability (which Disrupt surely is) has no specified duration, then the effects of that ability expire at the end of the current phase." 

That ought to do it, right?

K xx

Well, it can't be made into an Action instead of a Disrupt as then it couldn't in fact cancel anything.  You to fully resolve the effect of a card being played (barring disrupts) before you can then respond to anything it does.  Also, as an action you couldn't use it during story resolution, you'd have to wait till after. 

That comes into play with cards like Repo Man.  Repo is a passive ability, but one that is triggered.  During story resolution, his passive ability triggers (since passive and forced responses can trigger during stories) and can be canceled by Performance Artist without any wording changes on the card.  If you change her ability to an Action that'd no longer be possible.

If you were intent upon changing the words, the instead of adding "ability" at the end, you could just make it look like other cards with this same effect:

• Ward Phillips
Disrupt: Exhaust Ward Phillips to cancel the effects of a character ability that has just been triggered.

"that has just been triggered" is the phrase you're looking for.

KallistiBRC said:

That is exactly how I would interpret it as well. PA can only Disrupt a triggered effect. The wording on the card doesn't reflect it, but that's how we've typically played it.

AUCodeMonkey said:

KallistiBRC said:

That is exactly how I would interpret it as well. PA can only Disrupt a triggered effect. The wording on the card doesn't reflect it, but that's how we've typically played it.

Aye. I agree with that point in the sense that PA is a Disrupt - by design it must 'disrupt' something.  However, the description doesn't seem to marry well, it merely says sacrifice to cancel the effect of a character or support card.  So it can be difficult to see why it wouldn't work on all support cards.

To clarify then, we're saying that PA couldn't disrupt Shadowed Reef's effect?

K xx

I don't understand the problem. Passive abilities  cannot be canceled

(v1.0) Actions, Disrupts, and Responses

"Passive abilities are “always on,” and active whenever the circumstances of their text would indicate. The main difference between a passive ability and a forced response is that the Forced Response can be cancelled."

So the cancelling ability of the performance artist won't work on a shadowed reef.

B_P said:

"Passive abilities are “always on,” and active whenever the circumstances of their text would indicate. The main difference between a passive ability and a forced response is that the Forced Response can be cancelled."

So the cancelling ability of the performance artist won't work on a shadowed reef.

What's your take on whether or not it could cancel Repo Man effect?  It's a passive effect, but it is triggered.

no, Repoman is a passive effect. You can cancel only a triggered effect, that means an effect with bold word Action, Response, etc... You have not such bold words with the Repoman.

This is where I believe the confusion with PA lies.  Normally, the Disrupt text is very clear, it tells you What or When you can disrupt and any other costs involved to trigger the effect: i.e...

Regeneration: Cancel 1 wound to a Character you control.

Guardian of the Key: Exhaust Guardian of the Key to cancel 1 effect that chooses a suport card as a target.

In other words, you don't usually have to rely on the action type 'Disrupt', because the card tells you exactly how to use it.  The simplest tactic, though, seems to be to regard the 'Disrupt' action type as being the dominant influence, and to interpret the rest of the text in that light.  Instead of reading the text first, as I did, and being confused as to when it could be implemented.

PA neglects to define When it can be used as it assumes that you know when to play Disrupt cards.

Wow, I really have spent too much of my life thinking about this card.

K xx

KallistiBRC said:

B_P said:

What's your take on whether or not it could cancel Repo Man effect?  It's a passive effect, but it is triggered.

I would sy repo man's effect is awfully written but it still is a passive ability, and passives abilities cannot be disrupted. Like Dadajeff said.

Good guideline, never consider the effect of the card and exclude what kind of effect it is and when and how it can be used. The timing trigger is first for a reason, yeah? It all becomes much easier that way.