Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richsabre

NEW HERO PREVIEW

45 posts in this topic

Actually, Gondor looks like it's all about resources. The new Boromir requires them, Blood of Numenor gets better the more resources you have, two attachments give resources from Gondor, characters reduce in cost via other characters being in play, you can move resources around, or just get them straight up through an event, plus the Master of Lore can help cut costs for lore cards. Very, very nicely done theme, and we haven't even got one of the APs yet.

monkeyrama said:

Actually, it looks like a useful ally, so maybe not so much with the dying for the Errand-riders. SoG plus the cheap Errand-riders allows for some really nice resource manipulation, which really looks to be a Gondorian theme. Which is awesome.

Yeah, several of those cards have really nice synergies with the new Boromir and the Blood of Numenor attachment. Also, take a look at the Envoy of Pelargir--it's essentially a 1/1/0/1 for 1 resource in a Gondor deck. If you're using Boromir (which you are), it's 2 attack for 1 resource. That's crazy good.

Love the new Boromir and the artwork. Absolutely love Magali's work and even though the character doesn't look as rugged as I've always imagined him, I love the pose of him high up in the white city looking across the plains. Granted I was really looking forward to a hero Faromir, but I guess I can wait. Looking forward to the new deck compilations this set will require

Pharmboys2013 said:

Love the new Boromir and the artwork. Absolutely love Magali's work and even though the character doesn't look as rugged as I've always imagined him, I love the pose of him high up in the white city looking across the plains. Granted I was really looking forward to a hero Faromir, but I guess I can wait. Looking forward to the new deck compilations this set will require

I suspect you'll only be waiting for one of the AP packs.

Rapier said:

Pharmboys2013 said:

I suspect you'll only be waiting for one of the AP packs.

I bet your are right. Faramir might make it in Steward's Fear, though Denethor would be nicely thematic. I guess Denethor will be hero #4 who get a second copy. We should have a thread about what sphere the hero Faramir shall be. Maybe Lore to go with the new Rangers? Spirit is a stern candidate also…

I agree that thematically Denethor makes the most sense for the first AP obviously but I can def see Faramir being in the 2nd. I can see him tracking enemies through the forest; or at least I'm hoping we won't have to wait more than 2 APs for a fan favorite 

Pharmboys2013 said:

I agree that thematically Denethor makes the most sense for the first AP obviously but I can def see Faramir being in the 2nd. I can see him tracking enemies through the forest; or at least I'm hoping we won't have to wait more than 2 APs for a fan favorite 

Interesting you mention a fan favourite. I have not seen any such polls recently but it does seem people in general (and maybe Tolkien himself) favour Faramir over Boromir (and many others, of course). For myself, Boromir has always been a far more interesting character, though I certainly felt for Faramir also.

lleimmoen said:

Interesting you mention a fan favourite. I have not seen any such polls recently but it does seem people in general (and maybe Tolkien himself) favour Faramir over Boromir (and many others, of course). For myself, Boromir has always been a far more interesting character, though I certainly felt for Faramir also.

I don't have the reference to hand, but I believe that Tolkien did in fact state that Faramir was the character that he most identified with.

Yes. I have heard the same. And it is quite a good choice as Faramir does show a great spirit. For me it is probably the rough deal Boromir get to strongly identify with the character, and his redemption. I have heard/read also that the redemption of Boromir was very important to Tolkien as a writer.

jjeagle said:

lleimmoen said:

I don't have the reference to hand, but I believe that Tolkien did in fact state that Faramir was the character that he most identified with.

"As far as any character is 'like me', it is Faramir - except that I lack what all my characters possess….Courage" [letter of 14 Jan 1956]

Tolkien knew something about courage, having fought in the Battle of the Somme.

jjeagle said:

jjeagle said:

lleimmoen said:

"As far as any character is 'like me', it is Faramir - except that I lack what all my characters possess….Courage" [letter of 14 Jan 1956]

Tolkien knew something about courage, having fought in the Battle of the Somme.

Yeah, indeed. It is a very humble statement by mr Tolkien. And thanks for the quote. So it was not exactly his favourite but closest to him.

richsabre said:

this was on bgg but thought id add here

some pics of the HoN on ebay here

Thanks Rick, I absolutely loved the art for these, especially the one for Hunter of Lamedon. It may very well become my favourite art for this game. The colors, the textures, I think it represents what I would like to see in general in the art for Lotr LCG.

Gizlivadi said:

richsabre said:

Thanks Rick, I absolutely loved the art for these, especially the one for Hunter of Lamedon. It may very well become my favourite art for this game. The colors, the textures, I think it represents what I would like to see in general in the art for Lotr LCG.

Wow, sorry, I meant Rich. My apologies.

bahh i'm caught between wanting to see the rest of the cards and art now just to satisfy my impatient desires or to wait until i get my box in and its all new and a surprise!  its been such a long stretch between the last set of new cards (not counting battle of lake town) its all just so refreshing and exciting 

Gizlivadi said:

Gizlivadi said:

richsabre said:

Wow, sorry, I meant Rich. My apologies.

haha no worries happy.gif