Sign in to follow this  
Kid Gruesome

In the shadows at worlds - a tourney report

Woke up this morning with my head racing and ready to go through another meat grinder day of playing cards.  Figured this might be the best way to release some of that energy.    

Some background: I'm from the local meta here in MN, have been playing for about 2 years now and made the decision to run Lannister City of Shadows about a month and a half ago. I go by Mark M. over on agotcards.

Decided to give Netrunner a try on Friday because I couldn't think of anything to play in melee and ended up making the cut to top 4 (partly in thanks to John Bruno, who also made top 4, giving me an awesome strength of schedule after we split the first match).  Didn't lose a match as corp all day, which was cool. Dumb mistake wiped me out as runner on the 4th or 5th turn in the semis, and since I didn't score anything before that, I was done (best I could do was tie and higher seed would have advanced).  Really enjoyable games and players, give Netrunner a shot if you haven't already.

On to the joust - my out of house shadows cards were 1x Meera, 3x Black Cells and 1x Young Griff.  Control Control Control was the aim for the day.  Made the decision about 2 weeks ago to switch my restricted to Castellan from Venemous Blade, and dropped  some learned crest tech for some better character efficiency, which I think made the deck 4x better. On to the matches!

Round 1 - Welp, here I am ready to go and my opponent doesn't show up.  Neat.  I get the win but I start hoping this doesn't screw my SoS.  Played a friendly with Thaya from Spain, who was playing Lannister (no agenda), as her opponent was a no show as well.  She ends up winning and I'm a bit worried.  1-0

Round 2 - vs Lannister pbtt - Can't remember the name of my opponent which sucks because I chatted with him for a bit afterwards at the bar.  My apologies to whomever you are sir.  I don't remember a ton of specifics from this round, but I know my control was slow in getting set up.  I do recall limiting his ability to be able to utilize that second intrigue challenge.  My deck has a decent ability to bend but not break until the control monster gets supersized by Rita Repulsa, and this game was a good example.  My opponent got to around 12 power until he stalled out in the face of my control and I slowly but surely just took the game back and won.  2-0

Round 3 - vs Baratheon Maester's Path (6 chains, I think) - For the life of me I can't this player's name either.  I am the worst.  I psych myself out that he's going to do some of the plot phase tomfoolery and take a real ugly setup of Littlefinger and a goldroad because I had a YKTWD or two in my hand to try to limit my losses.  Plot phase comes and goes without anything happening, and I feel like a dumbass.  He ends up with a KoF, a Pylos and a a duped Lomys out.  I goof up a bit here and don't limit his challenges as well as I should and he nets 3 chains which go on Pylos.  I realize I need to Valar to drop KoF, Pylos, and those chains before things get really out of hand, so I do. He manages to get the rest of his chains of this round, but then commits a real big mistake when I just try for anything and make an intrigue challenge with my 0 claim and no cards in shadows and he decides to defend with Lomys (who has the 3 new chains).  One I'm You Writ Small later, and this is basically a fresh game with me spotting him 4 or 5 power and him giving me some control.  Bend but not break comes in again, he gets to 12 or 13 until I start locking him down and come back for the win.  3-0  I believe I heard this player mention later he ended up 4-2.

Round 4 - vs Greg Atkinson (Lannister pbtt) - Boy was this rough.  Greg setup Pentoshi Manor which crapped all over my 1 and 2 str guys who are meant to win challenges after I control you out.  First turn we exchange Enslaveds and not much happens otherwise.  Second round he gets me with another Enslaved, and this time I don't have one to respond with. He gets a few challenges through and I'm starting to worry things are going to go down hill quick.  I was controlling his income generators, which was my only real hope.  Turn 3 is where I look to make a big charge.  I'm going first, marshall 6 gold, drop Tommen, grab a card and pass.  Greg only grabs 3 gold, drops a Moneylender, realizes I'm looking to do something big with shadows and drops The Iron Throne.  My spirits drop. My plan to bring out Young Griff, stand Tommen and Bring out a Black Cells has just been crushed. Had I been able to do that, I'm thinking I'm going to be able to push all 3 challenges through (may or may not have been a claim 2 plot, can't remember).  Instead I pull out Young Griff without triggering him, he proceeds to get YKTWD'd and Greg runs through me.  I try to hold on a few turns, but he continues to have every answer and I get destroyed 0-15.  Now 3-1.

Round 5 - vs Ben Comstock (Martell Maesters, somewhere around 7 chains I think) - Pretty dejected  after that game, thinking my chances just flew out of the window.  I look at my setup draw and my jaw drops.  Karma decided to square things with me right away it seems.  Ben sets up something like Orphan x1, Street of Sisters x1, Maester of Summer x2 and Lost Spearman x1.  I don't remember exactly what I setup, but probably some income and maybe a carrion bird. I flip City of Soldiers to axe the Orphan (because **** do I hate those effin things), a bit to Ben's surprise. He is first and plays Flea Bottom, Arianne, and then puts a Maester of War into play knelt.  Then the fun begins.  I House Divided x2 to put a Maester of Summer and War back on his deck, Enslave the other Master of Summer, Distraction on the Lost Spearman and kneel out Arianne with a Castellan.  Ben can't believe I just controlled 6 characters first turn,  and takes photographic evidence.  I drop his 2 characters with claim, grab 2 cards as well and he's down and out.  He lasts til turn 5 or so, but can only ever get 1 chain off.  I heard from Ben later that he basically stomped his next round player, so it seems things can turn around quickly for everyone.  4-1.

Round 6 - vs Derek Shoemaker (Stark Knights) -  I'm hoping House Divided and Enslaved can help carry me into the top 16 here.  Turns out they could have, I just didn't let them.  I break my cardinal rule of not tossing a setup that has income and pay the price.  Mulligan'd into the best setup being 2 cards in shadows from at least setting up a Chambers and a Castellan. Either way.  I think I City Besieged first turn to discard a Sea, he fetches Luwin with At the Gates and I make him first.  He has Riders of the Red Fork, Old Nan, and Luwin duped when he decides to use Old Nan on Luwin to make him House Tully and then drops Knight of the Red Fork.  I'm so worried about what I'm going to marshall that I forget to use my 2x House Divided on Luwin to kick his dupe and send him packing to the top of deck.  Mistake 1.  I'm sitting there on 4 gold and I get too cute, enslaving both Old Nan and the Knight of the Red Fork, thinking that I'll cut into his card draw pretty well.  Had a Black Cells sitting in shadows, should have just enslaved the Knight and Black Cells'd the Riders, making him decide between keeping the riders around and drawing 1 card next round or having to use Old Nan in Draw just to draw 2.  Instead he wins the military, I kill Old Nan, and in a real smart play on his part, he Die By The Sword's the Knight.  Mistake 2.  He also pulled a House Divided with Luwin that turn and the next, killing my most efficient control against a deck like Knights.  From there on it's me holding on for dear life, and other than a last gasp effort on turn 7 to try and make it to a turn 8 Valar, I was fairly impotent.  I'd surely like some of those moves back, but where I made mistakes, Derek didn't and that's probably why he won overall and I didn't make the cut.  I don't think he made a single mistake I could see all game.  Kudos.   4-2

So I end up 18th, and wondering what might have been had my 1st round opponent actually shown up.  Can't complain much though, I had an awesome time this weekend.  Still haven't met anyone from this community I haven't liked right away(other than Dennis, what a tool that guy is). If you run into Jesse sometime soon, ask him about his fart story.  Highlight of the weekend, it was that **** funny.

Just for a certain toolbag:

TL;DR Scrub tries to elevate game, makes scrub play, scrubs out, can't scrub off feelings of regret. 

Kid Gruesome said:

TL;DR Scrub tries to elevate game, makes scrub play, scrubs out, can't scrub off feelings of regret. 

In case this isn't sarcasm: Don't sell yourself short, 4-2 in a field such as was at Worlds is quite respectable, and nothing to regret.  Good report, sounds like some really interesting brews were played!

There's only a little bit of regret.  I'm glad I did so well, but at the same time I'm upset that two screw ups on my part basically cost me a chance to possibly make the final table in Netrunner and the cut to 16 in agot.  I'm fine getting beat, less thrilled when I help my opponent do it with dumb mistakes.

Kid Gruesome said:

There's only a little bit of regret.  I'm glad I did so well, but at the same time I'm upset that two screw ups on my part basically cost me a chance to possibly make the final table in Netrunner and the cut to 16 in agot.  I'm fine getting beat, less thrilled when I help my opponent do it with dumb mistakes.

I lost a regional that way, I know what you mean.  :/  It's a crappy feeling but hopefully something that helps us learn.