Followers 0
Boepp

Close Combat and line of sight question

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I played a couple of games yesterday and the following situatiion came up:

AX

BC

A,B and C were enemy squads and X was my squad. Can X see and attack B? I thought I was sure that he can't but the more I read the rules the more uncertain I am. I am pretty sure that I am hust thinking about it the wrong way so please help me out here,

Thanks

I believe that, in your example, X cannot attack B.

I agree that it's not super clear from the rules.  However, I'm basing my conclusion on page 10 of the Revised Core Rulebook.

It says there "If a unit is adjacent to impassable terrain, it cannot target a unit who is also adjacent to impassable terrain when the units receive corner cover from different sides."

Squares A & C in your example both count as impassable terrain.  Since corner cover is provided by both squares, there is no line of sight between X & C.  Thus, no attack is possible.

For secondary evidence, look at page 9 of the Revised Core Rulebook.  The example there shows how a unit cannot MOVE at a diagonal between two impassable terrain squares.  I believe that the same logic applies to line of sight and attacks.

Kriegschatten said:

Since corner cover is provided by both squares, there is no line of sight between X & C. 

This should have read "X & B".

Stupid lack of an edit feature…

IT's the basis rule of sight. Both other enemy sqads are blocking your LOS, and the LOS of the asked squad.

Thanks for the help guys it seems that I was overcmplicating things after thinking too much about that rule :-)