Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sock3

T.I.E Avenger Conversion

28 posts in this topic

Looking at my new T.I.E Advance cards and came across Maarek Stele. he was know for flying the T.I.E Avenger.

seem like it would be a simple conversion. take the wings off the advance, turn them around and cut a slant into the front part of the solar arrays.

i dont have the funding to be able to try this at this moment in time but its an idea for some one to try, would be nice to see Maarek in his T.I.E Avenger.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070812231009/starwars/images/thumb/2/23/TIEAvenger-CCGArtShow.jpg/250px-TIEAvenger-CCGArtShow.jpg

yes, the only problem is if i move the panels any further forward, the back seems to stick out too much. 

thank you for your thought captain, ill look into it now.

If you look at some dorsal views of the Avenger, it seems like it is trimmed down a lot from the Advanced to allow for this.  Of course, most images don't seem to use the spherical cockpit, either, so your interpretation is more than suitable, I'm sure.  I wouldn't recommend cutting down that fuselage unless you're very confident.

That is just about jaw dropping…  sorpresa.gif  it looks awesome…  so, what would it take to reproduce?  I can see a cottage industry of conversions starting up with the delay in the roll out…

JustinKase said:

Very nicely done :)

What did you use to make the rear protrusions?

Looks like he used the front part cut off at a different angle, moved back and glued on.

thanks for the compliments guys.

and yes, i used the off cuts from the front to make the rear blades.

and the conversion took only an exacto-blade and super glue. i heated the blade to make the cuts easier.

ive also timmed the center section back fully, ill post another pic when ive finished the re-paint.

i cant remember the exact mesurments but i used P3 iron hull grey, P3 underbelly blue and GW skull white. the solar panels were 50/50 iron hull grey and choas black. 

alsong as its grey, it doent need to be exact. the T.I.E Defender was supposed to be a blue grey but they released it to match the T.I.Es.

you could do the emperors fist squad and paint them red. that would look amaze-balls!

First, Sock, thanks for the inspiration. I just finished a conversion. The heating of the blade with this type of plastic was a great tip,

While mine looks good, it does not have the sharp angles that makes your model work. I effed up the angle of the cut on the front panels. Thus mine is a bit shorter. It really is noticeable on the rear fins. I was more concerned with the symmetry. Bad mistake.  For a first attempt and a spur of the moment project, I'm still happy with it. It looks good on the table and that is what counts.

I think I'm going to pick up another one this week and give it another go, but this time go with the red paint job.

Thanks again for the inspiration to do this, It was a fun little project.

James

on your second attempt, try scoring the wing first so you have a guide line.

im glad i could inspire others, and you have all inspired me to do my second conversion, the T.I.E Defender!!!

i shall post progress pics so if anyone else wants to attempt it they dont make my mistakes lol.

i shall also be posting pics on my millenium falcon ;)

This may interest you guys: there's starting to be some interest over on the Starship Modeler message boards (Star Wars modeling subforum) about these delightful little ships. Already at least one excellent "garage-kitter" is trying to guage interest in producing 1/270 EU ships that might be bypassed by FFG. I told him about the interest in "destructable terrain" as well. Nip on over there and weigh in, if you like.