Sign in to follow this  
Dog Solitude

Disney buying Star Wars from George Lucas

Drakson said:

I have liked all the Star Wars films, well maybe a little disappointed on III with those little bear things running around. Anyway I have never understood a lot of the discontent that some fans have had with George Lucas. What is that all about? I would look forward to more Star War movies. I have always heard Lucas had 10 episodes. Again I have liked all the movies but not such a fan I recall all people, ships, planets etc. 

There was talk about it and he had ideas but there was never anything fully fleshed out and as time went on he started to say he would never do it at all.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy

Hardrainfalling said:

its the sound of a million fanboys crying out in pain and being suddenly silenced

ha new films mean no yunzang vong ! no cloned emperor ,  etc cool.gif

Unless they don't touch the established canon novels at all. Could be they go way back in time during an earlier Sith invasion, Mandalorian wars or who knows go a few hundred years ahead to a dark time for the New Republic. That is the thing there is tens of thousands of years of in setting history and an entire galaxy to use. The fact we only have 7 movies after 35 years is pretty sad.

Drakson said:

I have liked all the Star Wars films, well maybe a little disappointed on III with those little bear things running around. Anyway I have never understood a lot of the discontent that some fans have had with George Lucas. What is that all about? I would look forward to more Star War movies. I have always heard Lucas had 10 episodes. Again I have liked all the movies but not such a fan I recall all people, ships, planets etc. 

The reason Star Wars fanboys get pissed at Lucas is because it seems like he cares less about his own franchise than we do. Mostly because he goes to the trouble of declaring much of the EU as canon, then went on to create dozens of continuity issues when he made Episodes 1-3. And he seems to think that his fans are idiots. Example: In the EU, there was a character named Anakin Solo (Han and Leia's son) and throughout the EU they built him up as someone with a ton of promise and 'fate' behind him, if you know what I mean. He was very central, and high on everyone's list of favorite characters. Then Lucas had him killed off. Why? Because the new movies were out and he didn't want anyone getting Anakin Solo and Anakin Skywalker confused. sorpresa.gif  I'm sorry, but if you're enough of a fan to be reading that far into the books…you know the difference. There are other reasons too, but that's the short version.

As far as what the movies are going to be about, they've said that they will be completely original and have nothing to do with the EU whatsoever. So basically everything will be officially un-canonized when VII comes out. At this point, they might as well go ahead and hand it over to Michael Bay as far as I'm concerned. The man is an expert at wrecking my childhood.

Captain Mayhem said:

Kind of strange that on the day Disney gets Star Wars, Chapter VII is announced! Makes me wonder just when the negotiations had started.gui%C3%B1o.gif

I'm just catchging up on all this after getting power back from Hurrican Sandy. I just read the negotiations had been going on for almost a year and a half, and some Lucasfilm employees were told months ago to start preparing for an Episode VII. With all the links I've been reading I can't find this one off the top, but when I find the link, I'll come back to edit and place it in this post.

At first, I wasn't happy. Then I realized, "You can't stop the change, any more than you can stop the suns from setting." And indeed, as one sun sets, another rises.

I am cautiously optimistic about the new movies. Especially if they continue off after Return of the Jedi (as the numerical order of the movies would imply). The big problem is that with the Emperor dead and the Empire destroyed there is no core bad guy. They could definitely include the Remnant as believable adversaries, maybe even Thrawn? I heard (though I don't remember the reference) that Lucas decided not to do VII-IX because the third installment was about bringing the fight to the Emperor, and that got moved WAY up into Episode VI.

Anyway, I guess there is no use speculating. Still, I think it would be cool to see Mark Hamill establishing the Jedi Academy. This would bring the saga full circle as the Jedi are in great numbers, than wiped out, then non-existant. To bring the Academy back would be poetic. This would, of course, destroy all established canon, but I think we can already expect that.

I am all for this buyout.

I was not very happy with Lucas in the past ten or so years. Basically since he began working on the new trilogy. Disney, on the other hand, makes pretty decent movies (really good ones actually). They also bought Marvel, and if anything, it made that company better. Avengers anyone? So, I am looking forward to what Disney does with the franchise, but I am confident that it will bring a positive change. I mean, they can't do any worse than Lucas did lately…

It would be nice if Disney would release the original, UNALTERED trilogy on DVD/Blu-Ray. That's the biggest problem I have with all the stuff Lucas did from '97 on, is that he made the unaltered OT completely unavailable, except for that very limited DVD release in 2005 when they packaged them with the new versions. And even then, it was almost like an afterthought. Directors do stuff all the time where you have director's cuts, deleted scenes, etc. But they don't make the original versions of the film completely vanish. He called the new stuff "Special Edition" and that is how it should have stayed that way. There is no reason we couldn't have both. I want a nice Blu-Ray of the OT, with cleaned up picture and 5.1 sound. 

Yes, the canon is out the window. They've already said that VII will be completely original and have nothing to do with any of the books or comics. They specifically said that Thrawn is out. They will not pursue that or any other established storyline. It makes me sad because the source of my fanhood has always been the books. I enjoyed the movies, sure. But the books are what made me a fan. I've been reading them since I was 9. The fact that something can be 'canon' and then just trashed is hard to swallow. I guess I'll try to keep an open mind, but initial reaction is just to pretend this isn't happening.

Well, first, I'm kinda okay with canon going out the window because apart for the exceptional Thrawn trilogy I didn't much care for it, anyway. Second, it must be faced, at this juncture Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford et al are pretty non-believable as action heroes. Love 'em, but sorry, that's Truth. Therefore, any Thrawn series/Truce @ Bakura/Prince Xizor etcetc route is out of the question without new actors… and THAT would be a killin' offense.

SO, I'm just plain ambivalent until more concrete information comes out. Right now, I'm just waiting for The Hobbit!

I say this is a good thing. Disney has a great record of protecting franchises, and helping to enhance them. I think the possibility of LucasArts, LucasFilms, and ILM joining with Pixar to continue the Star Wars legacy really excites me. You also should take into account how wildly popular Pirates of the Caribbean has become (a distinct Disney trademark). I say step back, and let this project have a chance to breathe happy.gif.

CarlStrack01 said:

I say this is a good thing. Disney has a great record of protecting franchises, and helping to enhance them. I think the possibility of LucasArts, LucasFilms, and ILM joining with Pixar to continue the Star Wars legacy really excites me. You also should take into account how wildly popular Pirates of the Caribbean has become (a distinct Disney trademark). I say step back, and let this project have a chance to breathe happy.gif.

Man, I was ok with this until you mentioned Pirates.  I was all imagining Joss Whedon working on the next Star Wars.

I'm going to stick to Avengers as a good example of a Disney franchise…  Those middle two Pirates movies were horrible.  It's like they thought they had to make an epic since they were making sequels. 

Popular doesn't always mean good.

This is the best news I have heard regarding Star Wars since I found out that Lucas was finally making the prequels.  (Remember that was before we knew how much they were going to suck.)

I actually had a quiet dream that Lucas would die and his heirs would run out of money and give the franchise to someone who loved it and would do a good job. 

I would really like to see the Prequals remade.  (make them match IV-VI)  But Disney doing VII - and beyond is pretty cool.

At first, I was frantically surprised at the news.  But once I read a few articles and blogs (especially from Steve Sansweet on starwars.com), and watched the videos like: 

and this video sold me on the sale:
, I entered a "wait-and-see" mode.

As for Episode VII - IX, I'm hoping for the Heir to the Empire Trilogy as live-action features.  And as for any other projects, I would like those to get the animated  treatment.  We just have to wait and see what happens.

NPR had a whole program on this. It was pretty good, answered a lot of questions about the buy and stuff. But one thing that did happen was that Lucas was heavily derided for being weak creatively now. 

They talked a lot about the next trilogies, and the time lines. you could get the podcast of it. Im sure. 

KarmikazeKidd said:

Yes, the canon is out the window. They've already said that VII will be completely original and have nothing to do with any of the books or comics. They specifically said that Thrawn is out. They will not pursue that or any other established storyline. It makes me sad because the source of my fanhood has always been the books. I enjoyed the movies, sure. But the books are what made me a fan. I've been reading them since I was 9. The fact that something can be 'canon' and then just trashed is hard to swallow. I guess I'll try to keep an open mind, but initial reaction is just to pretend this isn't happening.

[/quote

O no! Could you provide a source for that info?  Thrawn trilogy could be so awesome.

I, for one, am glad that this is happening. The Star Wars films were best when George Lucas didn't have 100% control and final say in everything. Just look at The Empire and Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. He came up with the basic story and structure and handed over screenwriting, directing, and editing duties over to others to execute. The ONLY change that Lucas made to Return of the Jedi after the script was written was to change Wookies to Ewoks (kinda just reversed the word Wookie didn't you, George?). I am ridiculously excited about the prospect of Star Wars using the winning formula of Lucas giving the idea to someone else to interpret.

Also, I'm glad they will be ignoring the EU. I used to LOVE the books. I was obsessed with them, in fact. However, I stopped enjoying them around my Junior year of high school. The main problem I have with them now is, the characters in the books, for the most part do not "sound" like the characters from the movies. I tried to re-read some of my favorites and just couldn't get into them again. The fact is, most of the Star Wars novels are mediocre at best. The only decent ones are Heir to the Empire and Jedi Academy. Well, the Han Solo Trilogy is pretty good, but technically a prequel and can't be used for a 7th film. But even those two trilogies, which are considered the best SW books, are somewhat dry and the best elements of them get mashed together in my mind as one trilogy. IF they were to use EU stuff, I can only see it working if they borrow from those two.

Like most of y'all, I'm happy the EU is being ignored, as previously  mentioned, a lot of it is very weak writing with a lightsaber or an x-wing thrown in to make it sell. 

That said, I still think Disney should think seriously about doing the Thrawn books and not just because I think Lucas has a 50/50 track record at best with his story concepts. 

Thing is, making the Zahn books into movies is virtually a slam dunk- they're well received by the fans, there's a lot of appealing elements (space battles, romance, awesome villian, etc.) that even non-fans would enjoy, the stories are solid and diverse enough for a director to sink his teeth in. The only caveat is re-casting Luke, Han, Leia, etc. as those characters obviously play main roles in the main plotline again. 

Now, a clean slate approach seems like something a Joss Whedon-type might want- you get rid of the re-casting, don't have to worry about canon nerds, but here's the problem: The Truce at Bakura. 

Do you remember that book? I had pretty much forgotten about it, but that's kind of my point- Bakura tried to introduce an antagonist besides the Empire types; some alien race (Ssi-Ruuk maybe- can't remember for sure) which exemplifies the problem. 

To pay all that dough for Star Wars, you gotta maximize ROI and fast to appease shareholders. Taking things that are synonymous with Star Wars- lightsabers, TIEs, Stormtroopers, the Falcon, X-Wings… That's where it's at. Not a bunch of characters, settings, and races not readily familiar with the franchise. If you want to reinvent the sci-fi wheel, why bother paying for Lucas' stuff? You could reboot Buck Rodgers or Flash Gordon for a helluva lot less than four billion and have a similar outcome. 

Even if Lucas goes his with his own direction having thrawn as a character in the trilogy would be a no brainer (which probably means it won't happen)

Reading the wikipedia excerpt about G.L's thoughts about episode 7-9 the thrawn trilogy seemed to hit it pretty close to the mark having thrawn as either the main villain or a secondary villain character would be a nice nod to fans.