Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrotherTenparo

Apothecaries

32 posts in this topic

We've had a number of Apothecaries in our campaigns. Two of them have been Snipers, and have sat back taking pot-shots at the enemy with Stalker-Pattern Bolters. The most recent one though is a Flesh Tearer Sanguinary Priest w/2 Chainswords. He's a bit of a nut case.

BYE

Apothecaries lend themselves to very rounded fill-the-gaps type characters, they don't have any expensive characteristic advances and get much better skill support than, for example, tactical marines. In combat they're still Space Marines but they get to play much more in the fact finding and negotiation parts of missions than some of the more focussed classes.

As an example, our Apothecary picked up a lot of the Lore skills as they benefit from his high Intelligence, this makes him one of the better investigative members of the team. He also has a decent fellowship and often works as squad leader as Apothecary opens up some decent Oaths.

In combat he plays flexibly as needed, either providing ranged support with a Stalker-pattern Bolter, or helping out the Assault Marine in Melee. The team are also very fond of his create toxins ability.

At Rank 4 he also took Deathwatch Chaplain furthering his squad leader and investigative role, though I suspect it was mainly for the skull-helm.

I play a Black Templar apothecary, that has focused on melee combat. He has good WS and Ag but poor S and T so he is more of an skillful combatant than a brute. He also has rather good scores in Int, Per, WP and Fel so with his skill sets acts as a secondary leader and advisor. He also likes to use inspire wrath and litanies of hate to spread his hatreds so he acts kinda like a chaplain too (not that I'm going to take that speciality).

It seems to me a bit unorthodox to say the least for an Apothecary to be a Sniper.  Their role is to tend to the wounded and keep the team viable.  Healing and assisting in short ranged or Melee combat when not tending the wounded.  As a Sniper, you generally are at stand off distance or seperate form the squad providing overwatch/recon/intel.  If someone is hit and needs tending, what do you do.....leave cover/concealment and overwatch to cover the distance between you and the squad and THEN tend to the wounded?  Seems a wasteful proposition IMO, and unrealistic in a tactical sense.

We had a super unlucky sniper/plasma Dark Angel apothecary in one of our teams. On paper, he was great, but his player just plain couldn't roll to save his life sometimes. He was also the party's interrogator, because they were investigating that Dark Magos dude who eats Marine Geneseed and the Angel discovered he'd learned the Angels had some kind of secret from eating an Angel, so he spent a lot of the game trying to keep their Inquisitor intel ally from discovering why he was so damned interested in finding Phyrazos. It was fun times.

How do you play apothecary? Do you stick to a support role, or do you take a more "active" approach to your class. Do you prefer meele or ranged? Do you play prestige classes with your apothecary (Ravenwing/Wolfpriest/Sanguinary Priest)? 

Personally I like to go Tyrannic War veteran apothecary, I feel like it helps make Apothecary a bit more dangerous in combat will retaining the ability to support my kill team with my medical skills/knowledge of Tyranids.

Just a point of order, the Space Wolves Chapter does NOT have nor employ Apothecaries in any fashion.  In the Core Rule Book, they are specifically exempt from the Apothecary Specialty altogether.

At Rank 4 he also took Deathwatch Chaplain furthering his squad leader and investigative role, though I suspect it was mainly for the skull-helm.

;)