Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richsabre

Druadan Forest

39 posts in this topic

NEW PACK….thoughts? i love the art for against the shadow

it would be great if the previews showed more of the cards- i mean i get covering them up leaves us guessing etc. but the encounter cards show absolutely nothing apart from a few stats

rich

I really like the two card previews, it will surely allow mono-Tactics decks to beat some of the easiest quests; however, these mono decks still seem to favour cooperative play (which is not a bad thing per se).

I was expecting to see preview of HoN. I'd like to know when that's coming out, I mean more accurately than Q4. Hopefully we can expect it in November?

All in all, I am super-excited about the new cycle, HoN & AtS. The premise is very high.

I am VERY happy. We play in a group of 4 of us and always have. We also always use Mono-sphere decks…this is going to be fun.

Meh.  The art is great, and I'm happy for the players who use mono-sphere decks, but around here we always use mono-theme decks, which are always multi-sphere.

I doubt I'll ever use the spoiled cards.  Maybe after another year, if there gets to be 3 heroes of the same sphere in the same theme.  But FFG has a tendency to re-do existing heroes (Loragorn, Spirfindel) rather than make hero versions of allies (such as Faramir, Haldir, etc.), so I don't know if there will be enough different heroes to make this possible/worthwhile.

Still, I'm very happy that we got an article this week.  :) 

Bryon said:

Meh.  The art is great, and I'm happy for the players who use mono-sphere decks, but around here we always use mono-theme decks, which are always multi-sphere.

I doubt I'll ever use the spoiled cards.  Maybe after another year, if there gets to be 3 heroes of the same sphere in the same theme.  But FFG has a tendency to re-do existing heroes (Loragorn, Spirfindel) rather than make hero versions of allies (such as Faramir, Haldir, etc.), so I don't know if there will be enough different heroes to make this possible/worthwhile.

Still, I'm very happy that we got an article this week.  :) 

I see your concern. I am an optimist though, we are on some 28 heroes now but I see the game going well over 100 (not counting the doubles, or possible trebles). Then again, it will take a while.

I dont see the revealed player cards as particularly useful; even if i was running a mono sphere deck i'd have a hard time justifying the card space for these 2 cost events that only help you on one turn for a phase of the game that happens every turn.  The player cards avaliable now are already so varied and useful its presently quite difficult keeping the deck at 50 cards…these just arent going to make it in for me

Very very good. I love the new cycle idea and art is also amazing. I was not so happy with this hobbit boxes…… Now we comeback to real Lord of the rings thinks…… Cannot wait for HON and Against the shadow!

Of the two, I find Trained for War having much higher value (at the moment). As I said above, I still don't think I can win many quests with a mono-Tactics solo deck , and this card can hardly change that - although one can think of recycling it with Háma. However, in coop this can become a very powerful questing tool. I can imagine an Eagle deck becoming a questing machine - for a short run. And Vassal of the Windlord isn't going to be discarded (unless otherwise) after questing.

im loving the art too. all of the stuff thats been released for the next cycle so far looks really good. it makes a nice change of setting after being in moria for a load of quests.

I find the newly spoilered cards awsome. They give another very amusing way of approaching this amazing game. I Think monosphere will be tons of fun to play due to the possibility to rush through a quest way faster than with bi or tri-sphere decks because one can focus all his resources on one sphere only. At the beginning they will not be as competitive as other decks (but I'm sure that will change when we get a few more cards) but certainly interesting and fun to play. That's my opinion.  Really looking forward to getting all the new packs and expansions !

Bryon said:

But FFG has a tendency to re-do existing heroes (Loragorn, Spirfindel) rather than make hero versions of allies (such as Faramir, Haldir, etc.), 

Don't discount Beorn though!  

As for the cards, I think it's a cool idea.  These wouldn't work with Songs, right?  I suppose the text "printed XX icon" means that it must be on the card already, not added via other card effects.

It's really important to note the word "printed" on those two cards. That means that the resource icon has to be on the card and not through a card effect like a song.

karagh said:

Note that these cards work with less than 3 heros. They may help building low-threat decks.

Sadly no. As the cards state that the hero must have a "printed" resource icon you it MUST be a mono sphere deck. Not a bad thin as this opens up to other strategies.

mr.thomasschmidt said:

karagh said:

Note that these cards work with less than 3 heros. They may help building low-threat decks.

Sadly no. As the cards state that the hero must have a "printed" resource icon you it MUST be a mono sphere deck. Not a bad thin as this opens up to other strategies.

No, karagh meant they would work in a two-hero mono-sphere deck. The cards say "all" your heroes, not "all three," so it opens but the possibility for a low-threat deck like karagh said.

Ah okay. My bad. I'm still playing through the first cycle so didn't know of any rules about only using 2 heroes. How does that work? And from what expansion did we get that option?

mr.thomasschmidt said:

Ah okay. My bad. I'm still playing through the first cycle so didn't know of any rules about only using 2 heroes. How does that work? And from what expansion did we get that option?

You have that option from the Core Set rules. You are limited to a maximum of 3 heroes, but not to a minimum. Some cards appeared in Dwarrodelf cycle that cost less resources if player has a Threat Level less than 20. These cards have the Secrecy keyword printed.

I see. But there has been other rules that has been interpreted in one way and then Nate has clearifyed against it. Do you know if this has been cleared with Nate? If it has it's a nice flavour to the game. Don't know if I'd sacrifice a hero just to get below 20 from the beginning. There's plenty of other ways to drop in threat than leave out a hero. I'd be interested to know if anyone plays with less than 3 heroes but I think I'll make a new thread about that. Don't wanna hijack this one ;)

mr.thomasschmidt said:

I see. But there has been other rules that has been interpreted in one way and then Nate has clearifyed against it. Do you know if this has been cleared with Nate? If it has it's a nice flavour to the game. Don't know if I'd sacrifice a hero just to get below 20 from the beginning. There's plenty of other ways to drop in threat than leave out a hero. I'd be interested to know if anyone plays with less than 3 heroes but I think I'll make a new thread about that. Don't wanna hijack this one ;)

this is pretty much the design of secrecy yes…glorfindel was just about made for this. overall secrecy is a poorly developed part of this game though i expect it shall get expanded as we go into this cycle

rich

richsabre said:

mr.thomasschmidt said:

this is pretty much the design of secrecy yes…glorfindel was just about made for this. overall secrecy is a poorly developed part of this game though i expect it shall get expanded as we go into this cycle

rich

I hope we will see Secrecy get expanded with this cycle. However it may be that the "battlefield" type theme will take up all the card slots - meaning that secrecy might have to wait for an entire cycle to go past before being revisited.

It might fit the political intrigue angle of this cycle's story though so we may get some packs with secrecy and some without?

If we don't get any secrecy cards at all it might mean ffg have abandoned the idea (which would make most of the secrecy cards bad - since their biggest problem is lack of choice).

Also does anyone think that Glade of clensing says 

"Wose enemy in play"

It would be interesting to have the Woses be an enemy that wasn't always hostile I think. (since they're neutral but suspicious of strangers) similar to how the bear was done in the road to Rivendell.

I hope they don't only make the Woses only enemies though, they're friendly to elves for instance.