Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maggical

One Solo Deck to Rule Them All! - Deck + Games

123 posts in this topic

Karden said:

That seems like a really good deck. I will have to give it a try next time I play.

Thank you, hope you like it! Let me know how it goes…

On the other hand I got Battle of Lake-town yesterday, I will try to play against it, the 3rd quest of The Hobbit Over and Under Hill and re-play against Shadow and Flame as soon as possible…

I've found this to be, quite simply, the best solo deck ever.

Heroes:
Eowyn
Bifur
Glorfindel

Allies (22)
Warden of Healing x2
Gleowine x3
Mirkwood Runner x3
Imaldris Stargazer x3
Arwen Undomiel x3
Bofur x3
Northern Tracker x2
Gandalf (core set) x3

Attachments (13)
Expert Treasure-Hunter x3
Protector of Lorien x3
A Burning Brand x2
Asfaloth x3
Light of Valinor x2

Events (15)
Elrond's Counsel x3
Dwarven Tomb x3 (don't hate)
A Test of Will x3
Hasty Stroke x3
The Galadhrin's Greeting x3

So the idea of this is Stargazer + Expert Treasure-Hunter or Eowyn = Free Card Drawing. Frankly, those are the 6 cards I could stand to cut if need to making specific scenario adjustments (ie sideboarding), but typically pulling 5 cards every round really helps. Plus, I get to pick the cards I put in my hand so, bonus. :)

What makes this deck so much better than anything else I've ever run solo is the fact that Bifur lets me move a resource token over to him each round, so everything except the Mirkwood Runner is playable first turn. I don't need songs to mana fix, and he is also a great blocker with Burning Brand. The other thing that makes this deck amazing is its low starting threat coupled with the ability to reduce the threat down to nothing, even late game. Protector of Lorien just wins games, even after the nerf.

The reason I have 3 Dwarven Tombs is mainly because I wanted to be able to run a second Spirit deck with its own x3 Test of Wills and Hasty Strokes, and so a 3rd starter was needed to do that.

Boris_the_Dwarf said:

I've found this to be, quite simply, the best solo deck ever.

Heroes:
Eowyn
Bifur
Glorfindel

Allies (22)
Warden of Healing x2
Gleowine x3
Mirkwood Runner x3
Imaldris Stargazer x3
Arwen Undomiel x3
Bofur x3
Northern Tracker x2
Gandalf (core set) x3

Attachments (13)
Expert Treasure-Hunter x3
Protector of Lorien x3
A Burning Brand x2
Asfaloth x3
Light of Valinor x2

Events (15)
Elrond's Counsel x3
Dwarven Tomb x3 (don't hate)
A Test of Will x3
Hasty Stroke x3
The Galadhrin's Greeting x3

So the idea of this is Stargazer + Expert Treasure-Hunter or Eowyn = Free Card Drawing. Frankly, those are the 6 cards I could stand to cut if need to making specific scenario adjustments (ie sideboarding), but typically pulling 5 cards every round really helps. Plus, I get to pick the cards I put in my hand so, bonus. :)

What makes this deck so much better than anything else I've ever run solo is the fact that Bifur lets me move a resource token over to him each round, so everything except the Mirkwood Runner is playable first turn. I don't need songs to mana fix, and he is also a great blocker with Burning Brand. The other thing that makes this deck amazing is its low starting threat coupled with the ability to reduce the threat down to nothing, even late game. Protector of Lorien just wins games, even after the nerf.

The reason I have 3 Dwarven Tombs is mainly because I wanted to be able to run a second Spirit deck with its own x3 Test of Wills and Hasty Strokes, and so a 3rd starter was needed to do that.

That seems like a solid deck. Have you played against all quests? Can you share your results like I did on the first post? I will surely give it a try…

Thanks!

Javier

Guys,

I finally got my copy of Battle of Lake-town. Seems that my order was missplaced but all is good now. I have to say that I'm kind of dissapointed with it…

I won this quest on the first trial, without any issues really. Just rushing the first stage of the quest and then staying and grouping people on the second stage while completely healing Lake-town. After that just get 12 damage on Smaug, go to the last step and kill it with 1 blow, I didn't face any issues at all really…

Javier

Maggical said:

Guys,

I finally got my copy of Battle of Lake-town. Seems that my order was missplaced but all is good now. I have to say that I'm kind of dissapointed with it…

I won this quest on the first trial, without any issues really. Just rushing the first stage of the quest and then staying and grouping people on the second stage while completely healing Lake-town. After that just get 12 damage on Smaug, go to the last step and kill it with 1 blow, I didn't face any issues at all really…

Javier

I had to build your deck and try it on laketown after reading this.  I won on the third attempt after 16 rounds.  I would not say that it was easy, I did  not make it out of the second round on the first two games.  Maybe if I knew your deck better I would have more success, but getting one win on this quest after the third try does speak well of the deck.  I can't imagin you would get a win every time, there is too much unpredictability in the first few rounds.  I hope you try it again with smaugs extr attacks, it is easy to lose a hero on your first turn.

Tracker1 said:

Maggical said:

Guys,

Javier

I had to build your deck and try it on laketown after reading this.  I won on the third attempt after 16 rounds.  I would not say that it was easy, I did  not make it out of the second round on the first two games.  Maybe if I knew your deck better I would have more success, but getting one win on this quest after the third try does speak well of the deck.  I can't imagin you would get a win every time, there is too much unpredictability in the first few rounds.  I hope you try it again with smaugs extr attacks, it is easy to lose a hero on your first turn.

I'm glad you decided to give the deck a try. I will surely try the quest again, although I did get attacks from Smaug the first turn, I remember I used Denethor to block him (it's the 5 attack) and kept moving…

I am not saying that this deck can beat the quest every time at all, what I'm trying to do is to report my games with the deck for everyone to have an idea. In fact they even said that it was impossible for this deck to beat Dul-Guldur or Massing and it wasn't the case, I am really happy with it…

I'm getting Heirs of Numenor and On the Doorstep in a couple of weeks. I will see if there are cards that are worth for this deck and play against those quests too…

Thanks!

Javier

I'm really looking forward to hearing how HoN goes.  I think the battle and siege mechanics are going to make a serious challenge for this deck.  IMO Eowyn is useless during these scenarios.  

Tracker1 said:

I'm really looking forward to hearing how HoN goes.  I think the battle and siege mechanics are going to make a serious challenge for this deck.  IMO Eowyn is useless during these scenarios.  

From what I've read so far I think it will be really difficult. I'm guessing I will have to quest with Denethor but that will hurt the deck for sure since it depends a lot on his ability to see top encounter cards. We'll see…

So you got HoN and On the Doorstep now???  I'm still interested in how the deck does against those.  You said in your post on march 21st that you'd be getting them in  a few weeks so I was wondering if you got them yet cause I'd love to see how the deck does against them :)

Thanks

Khamul

Khamul The Easterling said:

So you got HoN and On the Doorstep now???  I'm still interested in how the deck does against those.  You said in your post on march 21st that you'd be getting them in  a few weeks so I was wondering if you got them yet cause I'd love to see how the deck does against them :)

Thanks

Khamul

Thanks so much for the interest. Sadly the shipping got missed and they had to re-ship it again. I am suppossed to get them next Monday, so I will surely check the cards and see if there are any worth including in the deck. And of course play against the scenarios afterwards :)

I got the sets yesterday. Hopefully I will be able to play against the quests this weekened. I took a quick look at the cards and the only one that caught my attention was the one that increases your defenses by the resource icons or something like that, will look into them deeper by the end of the week to see if any card has room in the deck, but it doesn't seem likely to happen…

Not even room for ranger spikes?  I like that card.  I think it wouldn't hurt to take out a hasty stroke and a stand a fight for a couple of those. 

Khamul

I like that card, but there are too many things that need to go good to use it. First you have to know that the next enemy that's coming it's a threat, and you can do that using Denethor but you can also send him to the bottom of the deck if you don't want it, so why pay 2 resources from your most difficult sphere for a card that you can solve using a hero?

My two cents,

Javier

OK. Got it.  I've never played this deck so I wouldn't know what's best for it.  Kinda forgot about Denathor.  Take all the time you need, but when roughly, will you be playing the HoN quests and On the Doorstep?  I'm very interested in those 2 expansions.  They are on the top of my get list.  I have almost all the Mirkwood and dwarrowdelf cycles but am very interested in those expansions.   I always like the quests more than the player cards (although I do like those too) so even though I am a little bit interested in the deck, I am more interested in the quests, how you do against them and the diffuculty you had beating them.  Session reports and information about those specific quests (especially On the Doorstep) are rather hard to find.  So when you play against the quests, I am interested in how this deck does against it, but it would also be great if you could share you opinions about the quests and what you thought of them. 

Thanks,

Khamul

OK. Got it.  I've never played this deck so I wouldn't know what's best for it.  Kinda forgot about Denathor.  Take all the time you need, but when roughly, will you be playing the HoN quests and On the Doorstep?  I'm very interested in those 2 expansions.  They are on the top of my get list.  I have almost all the Mirkwood and dwarrowdelf cycles but am very interested in those expansions.   I always like the quests more than the player cards (although I do like those too) so even though I am a little bit interested in the deck, I am more interested in the quests, how you do against them and the diffuculty you had beating them.  Session reports and information about those specific quests (especially On the Doorstep) are rather hard to find.  So when you play against the quests, I am interested in how this deck does against it, but it would also be great if you could share you opinions about the quests and what you thought of them. 

Thanks,

Khamul

It's been more complicated than I expected lately. With 2 kids and much work to do I've been struggling to find time to play. If everything goes as planned I should be able to get some games this weekend. I'll make "On the Doorstep" priority number one…

Javier

I played the first two quests of On the Doorstep with this deck.  It is a modified deck due to I don't have a second copy of the core set.  I took me three trys to beat "Flies and Spiders", and  I did not beat "Lonely Mountain"  after three tries.  A lot of this is due to not being very good at the game, and bad questing choices.  I found the quests themselves to be difficult, espcially the burgling attempts during "Lonely Mountain".  I love the deck though Maggical, think you could help me out on my post?

neillr said:

I played the first two quests of On the Doorstep with this deck.  It is a modified deck due to I don't have a second copy of the core set.  I took me three trys to beat "Flies and Spiders", and  I did not beat "Lonely Mountain"  after three tries.  A lot of this is due to not being very good at the game, and bad questing choices.  I found the quests themselves to be difficult, espcially the burgling attempts during "Lonely Mountain".  I love the deck though Maggical, think you could help me out on my post?

Sure I can, the only thing is that I still didn't find time to play against the quests, so I'm not sure how to help you out :S

Sorry for being confusing, I meant I have a post myself on the forum "deckbuilders please read or help" something like that.  I am going to GenCon and need help building a deck.  I am playing in FF's LRT: LCG event.  FYI, I am planning to bring your deck also.  I will post my results when I get back but that won't be until late August.  In regards to the OtDS quests, I had to keep Bilbo ready to defend against Smaug's attacks when I failed burgle attempts.  Smaug is one serious dragon and puts the smack down on a defender.  During my first attempts I exhausted Bilbo questing, but Smaug would kill Denethor, or Glorfindel.  This pretty much killed the quest for me so I would just start over.  Bilbo's magic ring allows it to exhaust to remove all damage from Bilbo at the cost of three threat.  I found that to be easier to swallow than the loss of a hero.  Unfortunatly I took an encounter card that required Bilbo to spend his resources or move to phase four of the quest, thereby waking up Smaug before I was buffed to handle him.  Be carful with Bilbo's resources.  This is for the lonely mountain scenario.  Flies and spiders quest was a little easier due to the quickness of placing quest tokens with the deck.  I think you will do better as this was the first time playing your deck and you obviously know the deck better than I did.  Also I have only one copy of core cards so I am missing a copy of some big cards, unexpected courage mostly.

This looks like a good deck!  Unfortunately, since I'm late to the game, I won't be able to build this deck.  The Shadow of Mirkwood adventure packs are selling for more money than I'm willing to spend at this point, so I can't get my hands on the "Song of Kings" card, therefore I can't get any leadership resource. I was looking for a possible replacement card, but I don't see one in the database.

Nice job though!  Hopefully I can come up with a good all around deck like this without the Shadow of Mirkwood expansion.

I have discovered that the reprint for Shadows of Mirkwood will be out Q3, which means I can build the deck then.  I'm happy now. :)

Sineon said:

I have discovered that the reprint for Shadows of Mirkwood will be out Q3, which means I can build the deck then.  I'm happy now. :)

That's good to hear! :)

Hi there guys,

Sadly I've been having health issues for the past month so I wasn't able to play any games with the Numenor set I got. Yesterday I got the Nightmare Decks in the mail so I hope I can play against them soon...

Javier