Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maggical

One Solo Deck to Rule Them All! - Deck + Games

123 posts in this topic

Irongut said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have all the cards I need by the weekend and will give this a try.

Hope you can share your experience! My idea is making this deck as good as possible :)

Maggical - Thanks for keeping this deck up to date. I have enjoyed using it.

Would it be possible to get you to add a section to your OP that indicates how you use the attachments? I have noted a few times you mentioned who you used attachments on but for the purpose of someone just finding this thread it may be a good idea to add this so that "newcomers" to your deck will be able to find this direction up front.

Thanks!

hendersondayton said:

Maggical - Thanks for keeping this deck up to date. I have enjoyed using it.

Would it be possible to get you to add a section to your OP that indicates how you use the attachments? I have noted a few times you mentioned who you used attachments on but for the purpose of someone just finding this thread it may be a good idea to add this so that "newcomers" to your deck will be able to find this direction up front.

Thanks!

I can do that, will try to update it in the upcoming days, any attachments in particular you find difficult to decide who to attach them to?

Oh, by the way, I see that many play two man games. Would anyone be interested in me adding the 2nd deck I run on this kind of games that complements this one really great? Maybe it helps someone that wants to have a "spare" deck to play whenever a friend comes by…

Maggical said:

Oh, by the way, I see that many play two man games. Would anyone be interested in me adding the 2nd deck I run on this kind of games that complements this one really great? Maybe it helps someone that wants to have a "spare" deck to play whenever a friend comes by…

ABSOLUTELY!!

With Regards to the attachments question:

Pretty much any attachment that does not specifically give a bonus to a certain character ("If Aragorn…")…i struggle to know who best to put it on…Attachments for dwarves are easy, put it on a dwarf….unless there are two dwarves…then i am not sure which.

My typical rule of thumb is, if the card doesn't give a bonus, put it on the hero that will be around the longest….

I would love to see a thread or write up explaining the best attachments for each  hero…..For example, Denethor and some attachment that allows him to ready….that is a powerful combo…stuff like this i would like to see…

hendersondayton said:

ABSOLUTELY!!

With Regards to the attachments question:

Pretty much any attachment that does not specifically give a bonus to a certain character ("If Aragorn…")…i struggle to know who best to put it on…Attachments for dwarves are easy, put it on a dwarf….unless there are two dwarves…then i am not sure which.

My typical rule of thumb is, if the card doesn't give a bonus, put it on the hero that will be around the longest….

I would love to see a thread or write up explaining the best attachments for each  hero…..For example, Denethor and some attachment that allows him to ready….that is a powerful combo…stuff like this i would like to see…

I'll try to add the attachments notes in a couple of hours. I wanted to make a tweak to the 2nd deck so I will post it during the week after I test it a little bit…

I still need to play against The Hobbit quests and I'm still waiting for my Battle at Lake-town…

Maggical said:

Attachments section added to main post! Hope you like it!

Much Appreciated! I have "borrowed" several decks from people. But I feel in order to really learn from the decks I borrow, I like to see how the deck was intended. This only helps me learn to build better decks myself.

As of right now, Denethor and Unexpected Courage is a mainstay for me. The ability to see what is coming is a must in most quests.

Thanks!

hendersondayton said:

Much Appreciated! I have "borrowed" several decks from people. But I feel in order to really learn from the decks I borrow, I like to see how the deck was intended. This only helps me learn to build better decks myself.

As of right now, Denethor and Unexpected Courage is a mainstay for me. The ability to see what is coming is a must in most quests.

Thanks!

No problem! Once I tweak my secondary deck I will share it too…

OK. First test of the solo deck Maggical created on PtM. Smashed it. Scored 81 (out in 6 turns)…didn't face a single enemy from the staging area cause I kept reducing me threat with Elrond's Counsel…was able to manage the encounter deck with Denethor + Unexpected Courage….Glorfindel + Light of Valinor was awesome too….I optionally engaged the forest spider in Turn 4 so that I could get it out of the staging area. I had Gandalf and Glorfindel to take care of that. 

The interesting thing was that I never got Steward of Gondor on Denethor as I couldn't get a song or the Rivendell Minstrel to come up. I got Gelowine in and was able to get another card draw and also used Ancient Mathom on the Old Forest Road to draw 3…still couldn't get them…

anyway, great deck! Will keep moving forward with other quests to see how those go as well.

I've been trying out this deck, and decided to go through all the quests in order. So I plan to do all of the core set encounters, Mirkwood, Khazad-dum, etc, in order.  Unfortunately I got stuck on Journey Down the Anduin. I've lost three times, twice to threat death and once because I quit when all I had left was Denethor and an army of angry attackers.

The Hill Troll is really not that bad. Gandalf and Glorfindel can handle him if Denethor blocks and Arwen quests. It's all the OTHER things in the encounter deck that make this quest a nightmare. Between those wargs that run away before you can attack (if they don't get a shadow card) and goblin snipers you can't keep allies in play. Then the staging area builds up with so much threat so fast you can't make any progress and your own threat shoots up.

So I'm not sure if this is just a case of three really bad games or tough encounter decks. But I'm stuck here and can't win the scenario. Is there something I'm missing?

My basic plan has been to get the heroes "set up" with their attachments ASAP, and then quest like nuts and try to deal with as many locations and enemies as I can handle.  But by the second stage, I have so much threat built up that I can't pull off the willpower to quest.  So any suggestions are appreciated.

It is a good deck. It's just probably I'm not playing it correctly. 

Also, a clarification: Eowyn's ability lets me discard ONE card to raise her ONE spirit, ONCE per phase. So I can't bump her over 5 spirit as a solo player, right?

Irongut said:

Also, a clarification: Eowyn's ability lets me discard ONE card to raise her ONE spirit, ONCE per phase. So I can't bump her over 5 spirit as a solo player, right?

You are correct.

Maggical said:

Song of Kings: The rule for this card is basically this: if someone has Steward of Gondor attached then get this card to him, if not then get it to Glorfindel. The idea behind attaching this to Glorfindel is that you will still have one Hero that produce only Spirit (Eowyn) and one Hero that produces only Lore (Denethor), so you want to keep it that way. Also he is the one with the most hit points and it's really important to keep this card into play.

Question….this plan is flawed in that, the only way you could have Steward of Gondor on someone is if Song of Kings was already placed….as SoG is a Leadership Sphere….

First of all I played against the first 2 quests from "Over Hill and Under Hill" with great success, so I updated the quest log on the first post. Below are my answers and thanks again for all the support!

hendersondayton said:

OK. First test of the solo deck Maggical created on PtM. Smashed it. Scored 81 (out in 6 turns)…didn't face a single enemy from the staging area cause I kept reducing me threat with Elrond's Counsel…was able to manage the encounter deck with Denethor + Unexpected Courage….Glorfindel + Light of Valinor was awesome too….I optionally engaged the forest spider in Turn 4 so that I could get it out of the staging area. I had Gandalf and Glorfindel to take care of that. 

The interesting thing was that I never got Steward of Gondor on Denethor as I couldn't get a song or the Rivendell Minstrel to come up. I got Gelowine in and was able to get another card draw and also used Ancient Mathom on the Old Forest Road to draw 3…still couldn't get them…

anyway, great deck! Will keep moving forward with other quests to see how those go as well.

So glad to hear you like the deck and are testing it!

I've been trying out this deck, and decided to go through all the quests in order. So I plan to do all of the core set encounters, Mirkwood, Khazad-dum, etc, in order.  Unfortunately I got stuck on Journey Down the Anduin. I've lost three times, twice to threat death and once because I quit when all I had left was Denethor and an army of angry attackers.

The Hill Troll is really not that bad. Gandalf and Glorfindel can handle him if Denethor blocks and Arwen quests. It's all the OTHER things in the encounter deck that make this quest a nightmare. Between those wargs that run away before you can attack (if they don't get a shadow card) and goblin snipers you can't keep allies in play. Then the staging area builds up with so much threat so fast you can't make any progress and your own threat shoots up.

So I'm not sure if this is just a case of three really bad games or tough encounter decks. But I'm stuck here and can't win the scenario. Is there something I'm missing?

My basic plan has been to get the heroes "set up" with their attachments ASAP, and then quest like nuts and try to deal with as many locations and enemies as I can handle.  But by the second stage, I have so much threat built up that I can't pull off the willpower to quest.  So any suggestions are appreciated.

It is a good deck. It's just probably I'm not playing it correctly. 

I've never had a problem with the quest. I'll try to take a look at it again but in fact the quests from the Core Set where really easy go pass. Thanks a lot for trying out all the quests in order as I did, it's a great experience too! If you have any doubts on the order, on the first post I made they are ordered correctly…

hendersondayton said:

Question….this plan is flawed in that, the only way you could have Steward of Gondor on someone is if Song of Kings was already placed….as SoG is a Leadership Sphere….

You are right, I totally miss-wrote that, I changed it already :D take a look now!

hendersondayton said:

Maggical said:

Song of Kings: The rule for this card is basically this: if someone has Steward of Gondor attached then get this card to him, if not then get it to Glorfindel. The idea behind attaching this to Glorfindel is that you will still have one Hero that produce only Spirit (Eowyn) and one Hero that produces only Lore (Denethor), so you want to keep it that way. Also he is the one with the most hit points and it's really important to keep this card into play.

hendersondayton said:

Maggical said:

This is not correct.  Steward of Gondor does not have restriction to the sphere of the hero it attaches to, so it can played on any hero.  Some attachments, like Burning Brand, would explicitly states that "Attach to [Lore] hero", then you can only attach that to a hero with [Lore] sphere (either printed or granted by a song card)

Maggical said:

I've never had a problem with the quest. I'll try to take a look at it again but in fact the quests from the Core Set where really easy go pass. Thanks a lot for trying out all the quests in order as I did, it's a great experience too! If you have any doubts on the order, on the first post I made they are ordered correctly…

Thanks I'll give it another go. I'm not sure if I just got bad draws or unlucky with the encounter deck. It could also be that my strategy is not right. My plan is to not move forward in the quests until I can beat the level I'm at. So I'm still working through the core set, the Anduin quest. I've just struggled with the threat build up, even though I selectively engage enemies and try to travel when too many lands are built up. Maybe the fact that I only get one Northern Tracker out and he usually dies to the Goblin Sniper might have an impact. I'll just have to see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

Angus Lee said:

This is not correct.  Steward of Gondor does not have restriction to the sphere of the hero it attaches to, so it can played on any hero.  Some attachments, like Burning Brand, would explicitly states that "Attach to [Lore] hero", then you can only attach that to a hero with [Lore] sphere (either printed or granted by a song card)

In order to play Steward of Gondor you have to spend TWO leadership resources…therefore, Steward of Gondor would never be out before song of kings in the deck Maggical is using. That is what I was pointing out. Maggical said: If SoG is on someone, then put Song of Kings on them…that is not possible because song of kings would have to be out for someone to have the leadership trait to spend to Leadership resources.

Maggical said:

You are right, I totally miss-wrote that, I changed it already :D take a look now!

So far, I have not put SoG on anyone but Denethor. Song of Kings goes on Glorfindel due to his hit HP…and then I put SoG on Denethor to boost the lore output. I have noticed however after a couple games that Spirit tends to get a little short as well when playing all the Event cards to cancel shadow/when revealed…too bad SoG is Unique.

Irongut said:

Maggical said:

Thanks I'll give it another go. I'm not sure if I just got bad draws or unlucky with the encounter deck. It could also be that my strategy is not right. My plan is to not move forward in the quests until I can beat the level I'm at. So I'm still working through the core set, the Anduin quest. I've just struggled with the threat build up, even though I selectively engage enemies and try to travel when too many lands are built up. Maybe the fact that I only get one Northern Tracker out and he usually dies to the Goblin Sniper might have an impact. I'll just have to see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

I don't exactly remember that quest but I usually try to travel everytime I have a chance to a location, I don't hold them in the staging area at all…

hendersondayton said:

Maggical said:

So far, I have not put SoG on anyone but Denethor. Song of Kings goes on Glorfindel due to his hit HP…and then I put SoG on Denethor to boost the lore output. I have noticed however after a couple games that Spirit tends to get a little short as well when playing all the Event cards to cancel shadow/when revealed…too bad SoG is Unique.

hendersondayton said:

Maggical said:

It's not that big of a deal because all the Spirit cards are cheap to play, so you need 1 or 2 turns at most to put them into play…

hendersondayton said:

In order to play Steward of Gondor you have to spend TWO leadership resources…therefore, Steward of Gondor would never be out before song of kings in the deck Maggical is using. That is what I was pointing out. Maggical said: If SoG is on someone, then put Song of Kings on them…that is not possible because song of kings would have to be out for someone to have the leadership trait to spend to Leadership resources.

How silly I am!  I don't have his deck in mind when posting my previous comment.  Thank you for the correction and I would like to take back my comments.  I am sorry that I totally misunderstand you.