Sign in to follow this  
Joscha

Low piloting skill. A disadvantage?

ShadowJak said:

magadizer said:

Absolutely, it seems to have "meaning" as opposed to the sequence you gave. Another thing that confuses is the fact that they are separate events, so the effect of one flip has no bearing on another. Even though we know that if pressed to answer the question, we tend to feel that there is some cosmic balancing effect that will make other things happen (the Force?). 

Don't ever play roulette in Vegas.

I was reflecting my students' confusion, not my own. But I appreciate the advice anyways. Don't worry about me though, I'm not a gambler.happy.gif

Somehow talk of gambling and probablility always reminds me of this Dilbert comic:

javascript:void(0);/*1350944813308*/

radiskull said:

KarmikazeKidd said:

But I doubt I can ever get my brain or subconcious to function that way.

Blame human evolution. :) It's not your fault.  Humans are so good at recognizing patterns that we see patterns in things when there isn't one.

Have you been reading Black Swan?

Between banks and sharp turns, fast straights, and Koirrigan turns, it should be tough to deliberately force a ship to collide into you. Don't forget, you can move THROUGH ships without penalty. The penalty only comes if at the end of the maneuver your base overlaps/touches another one. Granted, you could influence your opponent into taking a less-than optimal maneuver trying to flood them with nearby ships.

Lysgaard said:

or just house rule that higher skill pilot stops behinde lower skil pilots and get to fire.

Or house rule that if a ship hits another ship they both explode, destroying them and all other ships within range 1.

There's nothing  wrong with low pilot skill to call it a disadvantage. It just exists.  Moving first may even prove to be advantageous in that there's a chance to train your opponent's future moves and actions. It's easier to do with with TIEs due to the number of ships. Formations are sometimes cool, and sometimes a good way to use those extra cheap ships if thinking up individual uses for 9 ships is daunting.

It does help to have lower skillz sometimes

I played a game, where I used Darth Vader to move last. and try to get close (but not run into) the other player, then you were so close that a simple barrel roll put you just outside his arc, and you shot with target lock…they cant shoot you. I anihillated a guy yesterday. But If you use vader to run, the possible fire arc of your enemy gets large and the barrel roll looses value and evade token works good.

In the dog fights it helped to stay in formation, then with the lower pilot skills of my own tie fighters, I got to move them all a longer distance. get them out of vaders way kind of, and vader moves in last, short distances and gets a kill. with the ties finishing off whatever was damaged. So the lower pilot skill helps me get the ships into attack crash range to jamb them up, and vader behind. any close ups only jamb the shooters choices of the rebels, and you can still shoot through the guy, youre in contact with, at some other ship. sometimes the loss of actions was worth it. 

Warchitect said:

It does help to have lower skillz sometimes

I played a game, where I used Darth Vader to move last. and try to get close (but not run into) the other player, then you were so close that a simple barrel roll put you just outside his arc, and you shot with target lock…they cant shoot you. I anihillated a guy yesterday. But If you use vader to run, the possible fire arc of your enemy gets large and the barrel roll looses value and evade token works good.

In the dog fights it helped to stay in formation, then with the lower pilot skills of my own tie fighters, I got to move them all a longer distance. get them out of vaders way kind of, and vader moves in last, short distances and gets a kill. with the ties finishing off whatever was damaged. So the lower pilot skill helps me get the ships into attack crash range to jamb them up, and vader behind. any close ups only jamb the shooters choices of the rebels, and you can still shoot through the guy, youre in contact with, at some other ship. sometimes the loss of actions was worth it. 

Heck yes. And then there's just the potential for several TIES to shoot at the same target in one turn.

anybody ever make swarm tatics lower  guys pilot number?  me n my buddy were playing marek and vader vs luke n wedge, fooling around i gave marek swarm tactics so they could shoot first and then if vader didnt use his focus for defence i could use for offence.