Sign in to follow this  
player1540319

Best R2 unit for Wedge

chris cook said:

What does everyone feel the best R2 unit for wedge is to keep him alive for awhile.  I have him with swarm tactics,  2 Rookies, and a Y wing with Ion Cannon.

Thanks

I like R2-D2. Is wedge your only named pilot? Also, how many points is your team? 100?

For me it's either R2-D2, R5, or a generic R2. 

I've seen some say R2-D2 is overrated…but simply put he is basically free healing without an action. R5 I use in builds where I feel another ship's shields are more important. And when I don't have points for either R2 is always great because those extra green maneuvers imo make the X-Wings more flexible in being able to to immelman turns.

I'm a big advocate of action economy as a rebel pilot, anything that can give me bonuses without using up my precious actions I'm okay with. 

I go with R2-D2, since Wedge should be rocking Marksman as well and always in full offensive mode. R2 is there to regenerate shields from the hits he's bound to take, and since you'll probably be executing a lot of K-turns to keep him in the fight, it's a free recharge when you drop the stress token afterwards.

R2-D2 is good, but I find that Wedge becomes a target early on. If you can use this to your advantage, that's great. For example, positioning your other ships to come in from the side when your opponent guns for Commander Antilles.

My bro tried out R2 Astromech + Expert Handling and used those barrel rolls to great effect. Then, to remove the stress, he had more options for his maneuvers, making him downright impossible to predict. I've heard others mention this tactic, and I'm now a believer.

Parakitor said:

R2-D2 is good, but I find that Wedge becomes a target early on. If you can use this to your advantage, that's great. For example, positioning your other ships to come in from the side when your opponent guns for Commander Antilles.

My bro tried out R2 Astromech + Expert Handling and used those barrel rolls to great effect. Then, to remove the stress, he had more options for his maneuvers, making him downright impossible to predict. I've heard others mention this tactic, and I'm now a believer.

I can see a lot of potential there, but I would feel a bit like I was overpaying vs. Vader and what he has. Taking up your slots and extra points to get to a TIE Advanced equivilant.

My favorite Astromech for Wedge is R2-F2.  It makes what is already a beast attacker into a hard target to hit as well.  Not a guaranteed evade like the evade action, but having that extra Defense die has saved my butt many times.

Since Wedge's ability isn't based on an action, I find that giving him a droid that uses his action isn't a hardship.  Plus once you take R2-F2's action it's in effect the whole turn, not just limited to effecting one combat like focus is.

-DavicusPrime