Sign in to follow this  
Major Mishap

USMC Armour 1

Happy. Wasn't too keen on the high-tech look of the Armour 3 troops (too polished and sleek, not enough nuts and bolts and gears and rivets), and a bit worried about the power creep.

Having less powerful troops and filling some tactical variety niches at the same time is highly appreciated. Really looking forward to field some more "static" pieces like artillery, entrenchements, and such stuff.

Onwards to Armour 2 vehicles!

I dont think they will be armor 1 troops. Paolo has said that armor rating does not mean whether they are wearing armour or not. he had said that the skill is part of there armor rating as well. Marines are considered very highly trained troops so I think they will retain the armor 2 rating.

Armor 1 units with less than 15 men don't have any sense looking at accual units in the game.. Those weapons team look so great the'y can't be so weak!

Lska said:

Armor 1 units with less than 15 men don't have any sense looking at accual units in the game.. Those weapons team look so great the'y can't be so weak!

Well, when the game first came out and there was a lack of choice for units, we designed A1 3-man support squads and 5 man units, and they worked just fine tactically.  Sure, they die easily but if a unit is shooting them up then its not shooting at your A2 unit, and they can't be ignored as they still dish out the same damage as a regular A2 unit but cheaper.

Well sounds resonable, i was hoping for chineese guys to be armor 1 ;) But if Lara and Hvy Recon meet any of armor 1, god have mercy on their souls..

Makes sense, what with the tripod an all. But if that's the case these guys will be useless in an offensive capacity. Can't live though an attack, and they can't move into position and fire before getting fired upon. It seems they are only really useful as defensive weapon platform. Which I guess makes perfect sense for the kind of unit they are. Having Advanced Reactive Fire goes well with that theme.

My first thought was that "setup" probably allowed the player to place them in a certain position on the board instead of entering the board in the usual way - like they set their equipment up before the game actually started. That would make sense and increase the unit's survivability.

??! said:

My first thought was that "setup" probably allowed the player to place them in a certain position on the board instead of entering the board in the usual way - like they set their equipment up before the game actually started. That would make sense and increase the unit's survivability.

I tend to agree with that idea. Otherwise it would be tough trying to get a gun like that into a good position using a city board. It could take forever to get to a second story position for example.

"Setup" could actually include both suggestions made here. During the first turn of the game, you could be allowed to place the unit anywhere (?) on the board instead of entering normally (I suppose this would require using both actions.). This would reflect the unit "setting up" before the game's start. Additionally, if the unit wanted to move during the game, it would need to spend an extra action to set its gun up again, so it wouldn't be able to change position and fire its weapon in the same turn.

Moving the idea one-step further on.  These are being released with Icarus and its airfields, so there might not be much terrain around.  So, set up could be that they have advanced deployment like Scout but also includes a sandbag implacement counting as cover for the unit, ideal for defending an airfield and of course in any other scenario also.

I have not play tested these beauties much due to my sewer board enterprise but have found if you use two actions, one to disassemble and the second action to move it seems to be fair in regards to the guns. The AA gun is based on being pushed into a new position. If its moved by a vehicle i used the next set of rules.

For the PAK 40 Gun I tried one action to break down and the other to hookup to a vehicle and crew to mount vehicle. You have to of course move the vehicle into position first but it went smoothly the only time i tried it. Again this seemed fair as it took two game rounds to get the Pak back into action.

I typically play a city board so its not like im moving the units a great distance. Often its just to the other side of a building for cover and repositioning.

photo2-2.jpgphoto-1.jpgpak402.jpg