Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dkw

Custom Monsters

190 posts in this topic

thecorinthian said:

It's a good concept, just needs to be a lot less harsh. The benefit of an ability like that is that it creates a pleasing sense of dread about what will happen if the dice roll fails. "Oh God, oh God, he really needs to pass this combat check..." is suspenseful and fun (I think so anyway).

However you don't need it to be anywhere near as extreme as 'losing the entire game' to create that effect. It could simply add a Doom token when you fail the combat check - which would make sense with the concept of what the monster is meant to be, and still make it one of the more dramatic random monster encounters. You could make it instantly awaken the Ancient One (thus still giving the investigators a slim chance of victory) but it's still a fairly arbitrary and unsatisfying way of cutting the game short.

dkw has a point. Why would anyone use it, in its current form? Maybe if I had a butler who packed and unpacked the game board and cards for me, I wouldn't mind the game being randomly ended on turn two...

I see your point, but I guess I don't mind it as much. I usually leave AH set up for several days at a time anyways, and if the game really ended on turn two, just start over.

If the awareness was dropped to -1 I'd print and use it, but as is it's far too easy to just avoid so I see no need for it.

Chaos-Spawn-Front-Side.jpg 

Chaos-Spawn-Back-Side.jpg

Was wanting to make everything Random on this guy but that might have been a little crazy.

I'm not sure I like monsters that Give you injury/ madness it is different though so that good!

Technically, your Lurking Terror will never move as Green means Special Move Condition, not special effect from Moving.

dkw said:

Technically, your Lurking Terror will never move as Green means Special Move Condition, not special effect from Moving.

Drak Druid would beg to differ.

DarkDruidBack.png

This is exactly my wording, only with different effects.

Unless there's a special movement condition, green monsters move normally.

And the official ruling of the Hound says that if no Investigator is at a Non-Street Location, the Hound does not move.  Same goes for Flying Monsters and no Investigators in Street Areas.

Dark Druid also specificlly says that it is treated like a Cultist.

But the Hound does have a special movement condition. Mine does not. And the "treated as a cultist" is for the purposes of ancinet ones worshippers ability.

You're both right (well, sort of, anyway). The wording from the v1.1 Rulebook is:

"Unique (Green Border): Monsters with unique movement (such as the Hound of Tindalos) have special movement abilities listed on the combat side of their monster markers. Turn such a monster marker over and follow the instructions there."

Based on that, having a green border does NOT explicitly immobilize the monster - it just doesn't tell you what to do. Dark Druid is probably the only case in which they really drop the ball here. For Cthonians, the Dunwich Horror and Colours Out Of Space, it doesn't matter what form the movement would take because the special ability occurs instead of the entire movement. For the Werewolf and the Hound of Tindalos, the back of the marker tells you exactly what to do.

Black-bordered movement is presumed to be the normal type, and the rulebook is phrased in a way that seems to set this as the 'standard' for all monster movement, then describes the other border colours in terms of them being exceptions. The Dark Druid seems to assume this too, so if you think that's ok, I think it's ok for this new custom monster to make the same assumption.

P.S. The fact that Dark Druid is treated as a Cultist does not make it a black-bordered monster, any more than being a Cultist changes its movement symbol from hex to crescent.

The Chaos Spawn is awesome!  I see you're breaking out the Magic cards a lot lately.  ;)  You'd have to make sure you had a sanity loss preventer in case the roll came up 3 or more...

Even though the Lurking Terror works fine, it would be simpler if it was black bordered.  The text on the back would still apply, just like how you put text on the back of Undead Army.  No real reason for it to be green.

And please please get a different picture for the Mondra! ;)

MrsGamura said:

Chaos-Spawn-Front-Side.jpg 

Chaos-Spawn-Back-Side.jpg

Was wanting to make everything Random on this guy but that might have been a little crazy.

I'm not sure I like monsters that Give you injury/ madness it is different though so that good!

What card was that?  Cosmic Horror?

Couldn't resist this one.  Better be quick enough to stand back when you kill him! ;)

343k6td.jpg

And how can we have aquatic creatures without the Sirens?

2zyzxnt.jpg

Boomer is great!

...but here's my usual list of nitpicks: in many situations it's ambiguous how you resolve the ability. For example, it doesn't work in Other Worlds, and it's unclear what you do if there are a lot of monsters equally near to you. It also clashes a bit with some special monster movement abilities, and it will move monsters that are ordinarily immobile. So how about this version instead:

"You when fail an Evade or Horror check against Boomer, a monster surge occurs."

That's not quite the same effect but it would be in the same spirit I think. You could make the Evade/Horror checks -2 instead of -1, just to make things interesting.

Siren is fine, except that it doesn't give you any way of remembering that your maximum sanity is one point lower than the number on your card. One of the Golden Rules of AH is that there's always a card or a marker on the table for any on-going effect (except for that stupid Dunwich Black Man encounter thing, for some reason). You could try something like:

"If you fail a Horror check against Siren, your maximum Sanity is reduced by 1. Place a Doom token on your investigator sheet to indicate this."

That's a bit flimsy but at least there's something there. You could use the monster marker itself as the indicator of the reduced sanity, but then it can't be that AND a trophy, and also there's probably not enough space on the marker to explain. That idea does suggest a variation on the ability, though: "While you have this monster marker as a trophy, your maximum sanity is reduced by 1." That's an interesting dilemma.

Very nice feedback, thanks!

I can add "in Arkham" to clarify that the Boomer's ability doesn't matter in OW.  I don't really mind that it will move monsters that normally couldn't.  And every situation in the game where there's a tie, first player decides if everyone can't agree.  That's all over the rules.  The monster surge variation is actually really cool though.  It is certainly in the spirit, although I think I'd rather have both!  The Boomer makes the most sense with the ability the way it is, and I don't think the issues you raised are a big deal.  So I'll use the monster surge ability for a new monster instead!  :D

It's also kind of funny that you mention the Siren not giving you a way to track your maximum Sanity.  Neither does Cthulhu or Mythos Lore, which are probably the two most common ways to have your stats permanently reduced.  How do you track those?  Do it the same way for the Siren.  ;)  (Or just use a doom or yellow sign or whatever, as you said.)  Again your version will be an awesome idea for another monster though.

You better use these ideas first, or I will!  XD

Here you go! Variations on a theme I guess.

3427448296_be17c546ff_o.jpg

3426639211_cdf2cda066_o.jpg

(Re: the point about the token/marker. Cthulhu and Mythos Lore are both cards that 'stay in play', so that if you consult the card, it reminds you that your sanity is lower. If the card is gone, the effect is gone too. There's no marker on individual investigators, true, but it's still a more permanent reminder. In the case of the Siren, if you got your Sanity lowered, and then Siren ended up back in the monster cup, there's no indicator in play that the ability is in effect. Things that work like that in AH are really rare, they obviously tried to make it so that there's a token or card for everything. In theory, if you're using all the cards and counters in AH correctly, you can tell everything that's going on just by looking at the board. The only exceptions are that there's no counter or card that indicates what phase it is, and there's that daft Wizard's Hill encounter which tells you to remember something. I dunno what they were smokin' when they came up with that one. Anyway, isn't not that big a deal really, and it's probably not worth the effort of coming up with a custom card or counter to represent the penalty.)

Yes its a cosmic horror from legends.

The Boomer seems cool I would write up to 3 monsters...

Siren hell yea! Plus use Eihort tokens for the reduced max/ min san/ stam!

Whelp a monster you have to spend wuhaha

Harbringer gonna die, monster surge or no, but some AO like MS ><

Yith MS for failed horror check lol why? Interesting though!

Yep, Elder of Yith makes no sense. I just had a cool picture of a Yithian so I thought I'd use that. I guess it's an important Yithian who can tell the other Yithians to use their advanced technology to control the gates or...something.

Good work on the Black Goat things, although I'm still not sure it's enough. Is it just me, or does the 'Cult of One Thousand'/Corruption stuff do almost nothing? I guess the cards that make it happen are too infrequent in my games because I've usually got two or three expansions mixed in.

Play with the Black Goat herald and I assure you that corruptions will be everywhere. In my last game one of my investigators had 7 coruptions, and 2 out of the 3 investigators had a cult membership. I had 3 cult encounters that game.

thecorinthian said:

Boomer is great!

...but here's my usual list of nitpicks: in many situations it's ambiguous how you resolve the ability. For example, it doesn't work in Other Worlds, and it's unclear what you do if there are a lot of monsters equally near to you. It also clashes a bit with some special monster movement abilities, and it will move monsters that are ordinarily immobile. So how about this version instead:

"You when fail an Evade or Horror check against Boomer, a monster surge occurs."

That's not quite the same effect but it would be in the same spirit I think. You could make the Evade/Horror checks -2 instead of -1, just to make things interesting.

Siren is fine, except that it doesn't give you any way of remembering that your maximum sanity is one point lower than the number on your card. One of the Golden Rules of AH is that there's always a card or a marker on the table for any on-going effect (except for that stupid Dunwich Black Man encounter thing, for some reason). You could try something like:

"If you fail a Horror check against Siren, your maximum Sanity is reduced by 1. Place a Doom token on your investigator sheet to indicate this."

That's a bit flimsy but at least there's something there. You could use the monster marker itself as the indicator of the reduced sanity, but then it can't be that AND a trophy, and also there's probably not enough space on the marker to explain. That idea does suggest a variation on the ability, though: "While you have this monster marker as a trophy, your maximum sanity is reduced by 1." That's an interesting dilemma.

The way I keep track of max stam/san losses is I keep san/stam on each character's card.  If it's off, it's assumed it's lost.  If it's removed due to lowered max, I return it to the bag where I keep those chips.

P.S. The idea of monsters that do permanent damage is a good one in my opinion.  Adds to the game's mood :')

Does anyone have ideas for more Mask monsters?  There were some good ones on the old boards, but I don't know if they still exist.  I think adding Mask monsters is a great, simple way to make Nyarlathotep more interesting.