Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Velhart

Talisman The City Expansion

271 posts in this topic

I have played another game with the City expansion which forced me to reconsider some of my initial analysis.

Yes it is true that "The Scribe" is too good and the City is a very safe place to score some of the best items in the game early on. However the downsides of staying in the city for more than one or two loops become apparent.

Having been blinded by the promise of easy loot within the city all six of players in my latest game beelined for it and remained there for most of the game. Of course we all got great items fairly quickly as both gold and freebies are easy to come by. However around two hours into the game we noticed something: our characters were pretty weak. Sure we had spellbooks and flails and pets but not one charactre had more than 3 strenght tokens to augment their base, and some had not gained srenght/craft counters  at all.

Something like that would have been unheard of in previous games where comparatively by that poin in time a 5-10+ Str token count would be standard. The lack of enemies within the city also leads to a lack of trophies, and its a severe one which stunts your character's development. 

Therefore I would not recomend staying in the city for long, even early on. Go in to try your luck, but leave once you get 1-2 items or you risk falling behind a player that never went there, despite your shiny flail or platemail.

Thus I am content that the city has found its niche (at least for me) within the game rather than eclipsing all the other expansions.

One thing I have found somewhat problematic is the combination of "Flail" and the pet which lets you chose the result (or six) whenever you fate. The way we interpreted this rule is that for the cost of one fate you can auto win a battle by forcing doubles by rerolling one of the "Flail" dice to match the other. Which seems a bit too powerful. Did anyone else encounter this?

PS: Playing a Thief and chasing keen shoppers around the City is some of the most fun Ive had so far. :)

Some quick questions…

Bounties can be collected in any region right?

One bounty is for a Construct Enemy. Isn't there only one Construct in the entire game and expansions, being the City's Mechanical Dragon?

Ta!

The trophies for the wanted posters can come from any region.

I think there are at least a couple of constucts in the dungeon expansion, but yes there are very few such cards in the game.

Stomski said:

Some quick questions…

Bounties can be collected in any region right?

One bounty is for a Construct Enemy. Isn't there only one Construct in the entire game and expansions, being the City's Mechanical Dragon?

Here's a comprehensive list of Enemy-Constructs so far:

Battle Hulk (2x) (Dungeon)
Clockwork Cabinet (1x) (City)   
Clockwork Dragon (1x) (City)  
Ebony Sentinel (1x) (Sacred Pool)
Flesh Golem (1x) (Blood Moon)
Gate Smasher (1x) (Dungeon)
Grinder (2x) (Dungeon)
Herald of the Dawn (1x) (Blood Moon)
Ivory Sentinel (1x) (Sacred Pool)
Living Statue (2x) (Dungeon)
Scarecrow (1x) (Blood Moon)
Stone Golem (1x) (Reaper)

Of course buying the Wanted poster with the Construct is not so smart, but you can claim the bounty directly if you have the trophy.

As for the alignment Bounty, there are 3 Evil character bounties, 2 Neutral character bounties and 1 Good character bounty. The rationale behind this is not so difficult to understand.

jd3 said:

Bounty Hunter (Str 5, Cra 2, Fate 2, Life 4; Evil)…

*Whenever you defeat a character that does not match your current alignment in battle or psychic combat, you may gain 1 gold (from the gold stockpile) in addition to your normal reward.

*Whenever you kill an Enemy you may gain 1 gold.

*If you have a stand-off during battle or psychic combat, you win the attack instead.

*You may take 1 trophy of your choice from a character that you land on.

Tinkerer (Str 2, Cra 4, Fate 3, Life 4; Good)…

*You start the game with 3 objects of your choice from the Purchase deck.

*You may turn any Objects you have into automated Followers:

• You may use the abilities and effects of automated Followers as normal (Weapon and Armour limits still apply).
  • Automated Followers are no longer considered Objects and do not count towards your carrying capacity.
  • After you encounter a space and have drawn the required number of cards, you may discard an automated Follower to discard any number of cards on the space and draw new cards to replace them, which you must encounter.

*Whenever you encounter a Construct, you may take it as an automated Follower instead of attacking it.  However, while a Construct is an automated follower, you cannot use its ability.

Elementalist (Str 1, Cra 1, Fate 3, Life 4; Neutral)…

*At the start of the game, place 1 fate token on your character card as an elemental marker:

• Once during your turn, you may flip your elemental marker to its light or dark side.
  • As long as your elemental marker has its light side faceup, add 4 to your Strength.
  • As long as your elemental marker has its dark side faceup, add 4 to your Craft.

*You automatically kill Enemy Elementals without resorting to battle or psychic combat (you keep killed Elementals as trophies as normal).

The Bounty Hunter, Tinkerer and elementalist are very good characters!

About the tinkerer: I wonder what it means with: you may use the abilities and effects of automated followers. If you turn a armour into a automated follower, can you still use it as a armour then? hmm

Elementalist has finally a dark/light fate token rule. Nice!

Thernand said:

The Assassin is a Stranger card where:

You may pay up to 3 gold; then choose a character to lose 1 life for each gold you paid.  Once a character has chosen to do so, discard this card.

This is one of those game changing cards I mension earlier.

This is a very nasty card then!

Razum said:

I have played another game with the City expansion which forced me to reconsider some of my initial analysis.

Yes it is true that "The Scribe" is too good and the City is a very safe place to score some of the best items in the game early on. However the downsides of staying in the city for more than one or two loops become apparent.

Having been blinded by the promise of easy loot within the city all six of players in my latest game beelined for it and remained there for most of the game. Of course we all got great items fairly quickly as both gold and freebies are easy to come by. However around two hours into the game we noticed something: our characters were pretty weak. Sure we had spellbooks and flails and pets but not one charactre had more than 3 strenght tokens to augment their base, and some had not gained srenght/craft counters  at all.

Something like that would have been unheard of in previous games where comparatively by that poin in time a 5-10+ Str token count would be standard. The lack of enemies within the city also leads to a lack of trophies, and its a severe one which stunts your character's development. 

Therefore I would not recomend staying in the city for long, even early on. Go in to try your luck, but leave once you get 1-2 items or you risk falling behind a player that never went there, despite your shiny flail or platemail.

The City is meant to buy only stuff and goodies there.

I agree that characters should not stay there for long.

I think that one loop (walk) around the city is enough. i am glad that there are not many enemies in the city :)

Velhart said:

jd3 said:

Bounty Hunter (Str 5, Cra 2, Fate 2, Life 4; Evil)…

*Whenever you defeat a character that does not match your current alignment in battle or psychic combat, you may gain 1 gold (from the gold stockpile) in addition to your normal reward.

*Whenever you kill an Enemy you may gain 1 gold.

*If you have a stand-off during battle or psychic combat, you win the attack instead.

*You may take 1 trophy of your choice from a character that you land on.

Tinkerer (Str 2, Cra 4, Fate 3, Life 4; Good)…

*You start the game with 3 objects of your choice from the Purchase deck.

*You may turn any Objects you have into automated Followers:

• You may use the abilities and effects of automated Followers as normal (Weapon and Armour limits still apply).
  • Automated Followers are no longer considered Objects and do not count towards your carrying capacity.
  • After you encounter a space and have drawn the required number of cards, you may discard an automated Follower to discard any number of cards on the space and draw new cards to replace them, which you must encounter.

*Whenever you encounter a Construct, you may take it as an automated Follower instead of attacking it.  However, while a Construct is an automated follower, you cannot use its ability.

Elementalist (Str 1, Cra 1, Fate 3, Life 4; Neutral)…

*At the start of the game, place 1 fate token on your character card as an elemental marker:

• Once during your turn, you may flip your elemental marker to its light or dark side.
  • As long as your elemental marker has its light side faceup, add 4 to your Strength.
  • As long as your elemental marker has its dark side faceup, add 4 to your Craft.

*You automatically kill Enemy Elementals without resorting to battle or psychic combat (you keep killed Elementals as trophies as normal).

The Bounty Hunter, Tinkerer and elementalist are very good characters!

About the tinkerer: I wonder what it means with: you may use the abilities and effects of automated followers. If you turn a armour into a automated follower, can you still use it as a armour then? hmm

Elementalist has finally a dark/light fate token rule. Nice!

About the Tinkerer. You use the automated followers as usual as if they still where objects. The limit is still only one armour and weapon in each fight.

Nidhögg said:

About the Tinkerer. You use the automated followers as usual as if they still where objects. The limit is still only one armour and weapon in each fight.

It´s a very good character then, together with his ability that he can discard automated followers to discard adventure cards, and draw some new ones. 

The_Warlock said:

Here's a comprehensive list of Enemy-Constructs so far:

<snip>

Ah, thanks!  The city deck is the only one I've spent any time going through, not played enough 4th Edition it seems!  I must rectify this :D

Mine arrived in the post today. Hoping I will have the time at the weekend to play, fingers crossed.

it does sound like the city is a little too friendly.

I have receive the city expansion 2 days ago!

I like the artwork from the board very much, and the cards too.

Especially the Potion and Pet deck is a nice idea.

The City cards  are looking very good!

I want to play it soon  :D

There seems to be some confusion with The Scribe card… People are using the terms "Round" and "Turn" interchangably. My understanding is that a turn is when one person takes a turn, and a round is when everyone takes their turn.

So in essence, if a spellcaster can throw away another card in place of the spell they want to use, once per ROUND they can do this. To be honest, it is annoying, but not nearly gamebreaking.

In fact, as a magic user it adds a well-needed sort of balance to the special ability of the Gypsy, where she can take a spell you are discarding if her craft allows. Now you can give her a crappier spell instead.

Oh its "Round" I think its casting a very nasty spell over over and over every round thats the pain some spells are very powerful.

crowtongue said:

So in essence, if a spellcaster can throw away another card in place of the spell they want to use, once per ROUND they can do this. To be honest, it is annoying, but not nearly gamebreaking.

It depends on the spell. But being able to throw Strenght or Craft-spell each time it's your characters turn I must say is pretty gamebreaking…

Yeah actually, having looked at the spell list there are a few combinations in there that can be abused. I didn't realize there were spells that just straight up improved your stats. I don't really like that those exist, period.

But I think there are lots of combinations of cheap things you can do that will break the game for others if you put your mind to it. We agreed to put things like this to a vote if anyone is ever caught doing it, and we will just remove the card from the game. I also only put Lucky or Luna in, never both.

These considerations are probably good for your games. I only play with one person, my wife. She'd kill me if I did that to her and we'd probably not play as often. sigh.

I saw the scribe card too.

This card can become a big problem for the game.

You only need a second spell to get this to work. But you can buy spell books, or visit the waterfall in the highlands to gain more spells.

If someone has the random spell, then they have won the game, unless he lose the scribe follower :)

But there are enough other spells that you want to keep. Temporal warp, strength and craft spell,  and many others.

Seriously though, they haven't won the game if they get the random spell. Sure losing stats is terrible, but losing all your gold won't necessarily impact winning the game, and you can also gain stats from the random spell being cast on you. That would be a poor use of scribe, and anyways, if someone gets scribe I think everyone else can buy up the spellbooks first.