Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harleequin

What do you want in X-Wing Game Night Kits?

25 posts in this topic

As we all know, FFG has Game Night kits for vendors to buy and give out in tournaments for many of their games. They give out awesome prizes such as patches, necklaces, custom cards, playmats and other goodies.

What do you want to see in the X-Wing game night kits?      We're more than likely getting Rebel / Imperial Patches (which is awesome), but what other stuff do you want to see, and win in tournaments? Personally I want a Card game Playmat. Even though we aren't really a card game, we still have cards, and we lay them aside anyway. I think a playmat for our squadrons would be pretty nice, they could come out with new ones too, of the empire and rebel ships. Besides that I would like custom ships, I know it's a long run, but maybe custom painted ships would be nice prize support too.

Here are some links to what they provide in current Game Night Kits or ones coming soon. Personally I think the playmats are awesome, and would be a great edition to our game, we can use for the squads, or show them off while playing other games :)

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_nrep.asp?eidm=30

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3442

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember reading on the forums is that "Game Support" (Game Night Kits) for X-Wing is slated to launch in January, 2013.

As for what I would really like to have as part of the kit, first and foremost, is the playmat used during the Inaugural Tournament at Gen Con this year.  If you didn't make it to Gen Con, those mats were NICE.  I'm sure you can grab pictures of the mats online.

I would also like to get exclusive pilot cards for Wave 1 ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SteveSpikes said:

I would also like to get exclusive pilot cards for Wave 1 ships.

I can pretty much guarantee that unless it is a con exclusive, that they won't do those kind of chase cards. I have been over that with their marketing department with other games, and they want to seperate themselves from 'chase rares' type of distribution as much as they possibly can. Divorcing themselves from such a sales scheme has largely been successful for them.

The only items I can think of that they do that with is Arkham Nights where they give a new Ancient One card for elder sign and arkham horror.

If FFG ever does a "Days of the Force" type of event though, all bets are off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SteveSpikes said:

I remember reading on the forums is that "Game Support" (Game Night Kits) for X-Wing is slated to launch in January, 2013.

As for what I would really like to have as part of the kit, first and foremost, is the playmat used during the Inaugural Tournament at Gen Con this year.  If you didn't make it to Gen Con, those mats were NICE.  I'm sure you can grab pictures of the mats online.

I would also like to get exclusive pilot cards for Wave 1 ships.

I would love exclusive pilot cards for wave 1 ships as well, was the playmat they used a 3x3 type playmat? or the type of playmat people use for more traditional card games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The playmat (3' x 3' play area; with a white border) was made of what looked like a high-quality vinyl.  The playmat was so big they need to put two regular conference tables together for room for the players, and their stuff.  I wish I had taken a picture of them in use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SteveSpikes said:

The playmat (3' x 3' play area; with a white border) was made of what looked like a high-quality vinyl.  The playmat was so big they need to put two regular conference tables together for room for the players, and their stuff.  I wish I had taken a picture of them in use.

I might know what you're talking about, I was thinking of a star mat at first, but do you mean the 3x3' death star one with the turrets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i am going to assume theyll be very similar to the dust tatics and dust warefare kits… so a poster, patches, some sort of medal, and something like the dogtags… i cant really speculate as to what they put in in place of them, maybe so metal cast tie or xwings for key chains or something… 

hopefully theyll include the star-mat 3'x3' or something, though i could see them making that available seperately to keep the game night kit cost.low… 

 

either way, cant wait for these to come out, some friends and i are going to be playi.g this at our local store a bunch to build interest and hopefully get spme league pr.tourney play going…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 3x3 silk screen play mat would be awsome as a prize.   Also Howbet plastic movement templates or 3d counters of some sort.  Kinda like the gamming aids found for wings of war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate event exclusive items if they have a direct effect on game play.  Chase cards, tourney rewards, and all that kind of stuff really kill the enjoyment of small town gamers and those that can't make the events.

I have no problem at all though with duplicate items that are done up as an exclusive.  Like a special edition Wedge card with different graphics and a different finish that had the same exact stats/abilities.  Or a X-wing mini thats actually custom painted to look like Wedge or Luke's personal fighters.  That's cool, and doesn't affect gameplay or make those that can't attend feel like they are being left out.

Living exclusively in smaller towns, I can't tell you how many die hard fans I know of various games have completely lost the will to play after missing out on certain chase items and having to pay massive premiums to pick them up on Ebay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kmanweiss said:

I hate event exclusive items if they have a direct effect on game play.  Chase cards, tourney rewards, and all that kind of stuff really kill the enjoyment of small town gamers and those that can't make the events.

I have no problem at all though with duplicate items that are done up as an exclusive.  Like a special edition Wedge card with different graphics and a different finish that had the same exact stats/abilities.  Or a X-wing mini thats actually custom painted to look like Wedge or Luke's personal fighters.  That's cool, and doesn't affect gameplay or make those that can't attend feel like they are being left out.

Living exclusively in smaller towns, I can't tell you how many die hard fans I know of various games have completely lost the will to play after missing out on certain chase items and having to pay massive premiums to pick them up on Ebay.

Personally I don't think that FFG will create new cards that give other players an advantage. But new cards that are fair I don't think would be to unreasonable. Adding X-wing Pilots like Porkins, who don't really have special abilities or anything would be nice. It would give incentive for players to go support their local store, buy more products to create their squad. If there's no incentive, players will only buy one of each expansion to play with their friends, or even just a core set. Tournament play expands their business, brings new customers, and supports local stores as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FFG as a company is anti-special gaming pieces, thats the whole idea behind their LCG lines- and i fully expect them to carry that over to this game… not even porkins…

now, i can see them doing something along the lines of a special edition painted ship or something similar, i'd love to get some pilot cards with different art work, or even see them introduce new pilots via game kits right before releasing them as expansions…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly doubt they'll give cards for other people not to be able to get, and for them to mass produce custom ships, just for tournaments, probably isn't the best choice for them either. Most likely we'll just get patches, poster, maybe a box for cards, hopefully a playmat :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

frogimus said:

 Playmats would be nice - especially if they are of the quality of the Wings of War ones.

Playmats are my ideal prize in game night kits. Would so use it for my other card games :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Playmats are top priority. Heck, I'd be a fun night if you just made mats on poster paper. Also with the prize kit would be some 3d model asteroids as well. Also, some Rebel/Imperial patches would be really, really cool for this game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a cool idea would be to have new pilot cards but nothing new or fancy about them other than it might be one of the game designers or something like that. They could have their own person specific art on the card along with their name with a dot by it. Prizes are all about bragging rights and I think having a few of those would be something to be proud of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I wouldn't mind seeing unique models rather than pilot cards.  For example, custom painted versions of Luke's X-Wing or Black Squardion TIEs with squadron markings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of playmats, the space playmat will be awesome. Currently im using the Dust Tactics snow tiles as a playing board for SWX, feels sort of like Hoth gran_risa.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those kits should really include a game-mat. Apart from that I could see them including some special upgrade cards (weapons, Astromechs) or Pilot Skills (e.g. "A few maneuvers", "I have you now!", "Friendly fire", etc.). New pilots for existing ships would of course be nice, too: Jek Porkins, Davish "Pops" Krail, Tiree, Theron Nett, etc. for the Rebels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr. Morbius said:

Those kits should really include a game-mat. Apart from that I could see them including some special upgrade cards (weapons, Astromechs) or Pilot Skills (e.g. "A few maneuvers", "I have you now!", "Friendly fire", etc.). New pilots for existing ships would of course be nice, too: Jek Porkins, Davish "Pops" Krail, Tiree, Theron Nett, etc. for the Rebels

I like the sound of that!! (in bold)

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different paint schemes on the fighters?  The red stripe for the 181st, or my favorite character's, Corran Horn, trademarked green X-Wing?  Certainly not the only options available, and I'll likely be painting them this way, anyways(simple work).  Obviously, I expect to see patches and the like.  Maybe even a cool Imperial or Rebel rank device that you can adjust by winning the new patterns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about a carrying case?  The LCGs put out deck boxes, so a storage solution isn't necessarily out of the question.  Compared to a game like Dust Tactics/Warfare, X-Wing has very few models.

Of course, I'm probably just projecting my desire for FFG to have better box control as a whole onto this thread…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0